Seth Ben-Ezra
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm helping a friend do some gift research for someone who is wanting to get into WWII miniatures wargaming. What we want is a game that fits the following requirements:

--World War II (duh)
--quick-playing (say, 2 hours)
--miniatures-based so that they can be painted up
--relatively simple
--preferably squad-level
--must include tanks

Honestly, if there were something like DBA, except for World War II, that might be the sort of thing that we're looking for.

So, any recommendations out there?

Seth Ben-Ezra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that you said microarmor in the title, but not the requirements. Did you want it to be microarmor, which is 1/285(1/300) scale? If you are looking for something DBA size, it is usually 15mm. Are maybe you are really after a skirmish level game where each player has two or three, 2 to 10 man units, and maybe there is 1 to 4 vehicles in the game. Most do WWII skirmish level in 20mm or 28mm.

Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Ben-Ezra
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops. Sorry for the confusion.

Let's say that I'd be interested in either a micro-armor game or a skirmish game. So, if anyone has any recommendations in either variety, I'd appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm painting some microarmor and infantry right now, while I'm collecting rules sets. Of the 4 or that I have currently, I'll probably play Schwere Kompanie first. Although I haven't played it, from reading the rules I get a distinct ASL Starter Kit feel, which is *exactly* what I was looking for. Not too easy, not too complicated, with all the basic concepts you'd expect in a tactical board game.

It's $20, and you can get it here:
http://www3.telus.net/Ritterkrieg/schwere.htm

The author also has some of THE best looking microarmor around...go to the home page to gaze in amazement lol:
http://www3.telus.net/Ritterkrieg/

GHQ has there own rule set...you can d/l the lite version for free, and the full version costs $30.

Panzer War is free...I d/led that, and it looks fairly playable.

I picked up Crossfire for $17...and plan to give it a try along with Schwere Panzer when I get enough stuff ready to game with. A lot of folks like this rule set, as it does away with rulers and set turn phases...you basically move a unit until it fails an action (gets pinned, fails an MC, etc), at which point the other guy becomes the active player. Rinse, lather, repeat...very simple concept, and a lot of people here seem to like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly crossfire is pretty poor, just my opinion though. I would look at playing flames of war with micro armour or blitzkrieg commander which is actually 6mm (although I haven't played this I just ordered the rules). Personally I would go for Phil barker's one (war games rules 1925-1950), but is long tedious, hard to decipher, and complicated. There is a review of it that is pretty good (although it is negative)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/21083
Love this rules set, but the modern one is much better.
Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.