Kings Cribbage» Forums » Rules

Subject: 5 of a kind rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claire McFarlane
England
Wyoming
flag msg tools
If the first play of the game is four kings (mixed colours) that scores 12, what is the score for player 2 if a fifth king is added ? The scorecard says 20 points but example 4 says all previous hands are scored and combined which would include 10 combos for pairs, 10 combos for threes and five combos for sets of four, this gives a grand total of 160 points...can anybody please clarify this because the rules don't specify this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As five of a kind is impossible in Cribbage, the game uses the same formula as 2, 3, and 4 of a kind and extends it to five of a kind. The player that places the 5th tile creating this situation would therefore score 20 points as there would be 10 combinations of pairs. The scoring is never cumulative, i.e., four of a kind scores 12 but not 20 (2+6+12). Example 4 shows a pair of kings being added vertically to the end of four tiles (10,3,2,3) and it rightfully scores 4 fifteens and two pairs for a total of 12 points. A player earns the new total resulting from adding on to existing tiles which includes the previous scores, but the new five of a kind is only scored as one five of a kind. The new set is scored as a new identity (n of a kind) and no longer has its old identity (n - 1).

A long winded explanation on a rainy morning. The next time someone asks me the time (does anyone ever do this anymore in the age of cell phones?), I'll resist the impulse to tell them how the watch was made.

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.