Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have the solo expansion on order, and I'm trying to decide whether to pull the trigger for the firefight generator. I play solo exculsively. I know you can generate solo firefights with this, but is it worth getting exclusively for solo, or is the solo capacity just a minor "add-on"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett Schaller wrote:
I have the solo expansion on order, and I'm trying to decide whether to pull the trigger for the firefight generator. I play solo exculsively. I know you can generate solo firefights with this, but is it worth getting exclusively for solo, or is the solo capacity just a minor "add-on"?

As I understand it, it was built to work for solitaire firefights as well, so there's no reason to not buy it for fear of lack of functionality or robustness. The question is if you think you'll start running out of firefights soon or not.

As for me, I'm going to make myself earn it by playing the included firefights so much I'm tired of them. Remains to be seen if I get there what with all the other games I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip James
msg tools
I've been playing them in combination pretty extensively since the play-testing phase and here's my impression:

Yes, it's worth getting for solo. It takes the solo game from about a dozen missions to innumerable scenarios with all the map and Unit combinations you can imagine.

It's just as relevant to solo as it is to two, three, and four player games. In fact, I'd consider it to be the 2nd half of the solo expansion (while simultaneously being the 2nd half of the base game as well).

The victory conditions you choose between (and combine) give you access to a wide variety of situations from straight-up attack and defense to area control objectives. There are conditions for hunting a single targeted Unit, discovering hidden Units and objectives, holding fortifications, transiting from one side of the map to the other as quickly as possible, clearing mines and obstacles, gathering intelligence, keeping a specified Unit alive, and even getting revenge (destroying Units that have destroyed one of yours).

It's awesome. The Solo Expansion adds a new level of enjoyment to the game. The Firefight Generator adds a skyscraper's worth of new levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, I'm sold. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is great for the Solo. Just posted a video on it too.

Brett Schaller wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Stoffa
United States
White Haven
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it compatible with the first edition of CoH?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip James
msg tools
tubelo wrote:

Sure. You may have to proxy some of the Units that came with 2nd Edition, but you'll have the stats listed right there on the card for you so it shouldn't be too complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
novrem wrote:
tubelo wrote:

Sure. You may have to proxy some of the Units that came with 2nd Edition, but you'll have the stats listed right there on the card for you so it shouldn't be too complicated.

Actually, no. Saying it is compatible if you make the pieces yourself doesn't count as a fair answer. You have to have 2nd edition to have all the pieces - Price of Honor's 50% reprint doesn't count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.