Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went into Barnes & Noble earlier tonight, figured I'd check the cool boardgame table, just to see what they'd sold so far. Imagine my dismay when the table, which had between 1 and 4 copies each of some pretty good games, was stacked TENFOLD (no exaggeration) with MONOPOLY, CLUE, RISK, and many other CARPY games!

I pulled aside a passing salesperson and queried him on the table's new contents. He told me that the old games had been pulled and were still in the back. He wasn't sure if they were being returned OR if they would be part of the typical post x-mas sale. So, if we're lucky, not only might the games be reduced, but it looks like some B&N's won't even be dedicating valuable display space to them until after the holiday season, so there's almost 0 chance of them being gone before the sale starts (unless, of course, they do return them all.)

He also said that the small pile of games seemed pretty interesting, but they just didn't sell like "monopoly". I know we should support our games, but those who are in the know on these things are pretty savvy to the going rate, and just won't pay retail. It's a tough call, I AM excited to see these things at B&N, but I'm more excited that they may soon be 50% - 75% off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped in a Barnes & Nobles when I was visiting Santa Barbara, Calif., earlier this week and saw on the game table (at regular prices) Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne and Niagara. There may have been other desirable games hidden among the usual junk.

EDIT: Other games I saw there were Shear Panic and Hey! That's My Fish! (A post below reminded me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tami Whitsett
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SWEET! The nearest B & N to me is a pain to get to, but if the prices drop, it might be worth it.

This past weekend, I was at a local mall, and there was a random "Game Kiosk" in one of the areas that is normally a walkway. Most of the games were the same stuff you can find anywhere, but there was a small section that had Carcassonne and a few other games.

In Newberry (Newbury?) Comics at the same mall, they had Doom: The Boardgame, Descent, and World of Warcraft. I was pretty impressed. They only had one copy of each, and I couldn't reach them even standing on my tippy toes, but I'm pretty short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw puerto rico, roborally, and an obscure knizia game I hadn't heard of at my B&N, but as far as I know they are still out front. They had a few other euro-looking games I didn't recognize by designers I didn't recognize. That stuff was on a seperate table behind the monopoly/texas hold em/more monopoly table.

Edit: The obscure Knizia was rheinlander. I just found it here on the geek. I knew it started with an R! I remembered the cover as well. I'm guessing its on clearance there in january.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tami Whitsett
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Which version of Rheinlander was that? (The Face 2 Face version- greenish box, or the old Hasbro version- orangish box?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hancock.tom wrote:
I saw puerto rico, roborally, and an obscure knizia game I hadn't heard of at my B&N, but as far as I know they are still out front. They had a few other euro-looking games I didn't recognize by designers I didn't recognize. That stuff was on a seperate table behind the monopoly/texas hold em/more monopoly table.

Edit: The obscure Knizia was rheinlander. I just found it here on the geek. I knew it started with an R! I remembered the cover as well. I'm guessing its on clearance there in january.

They only had the one table. So when the monopoly came out, the good stuff went back. Come to think of it, the B&N by the mall had TWO tables (one of each) I'll have to check that out tomorrow after work.

This is really making me think that it's not a general recall and some B&N's are just clearing space by tossing these games in the back. If you go to one that DID have these games, and they're gone, ask some one about it. Maybe they're just "holding" them for you in the back until the price drops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wolgemuth
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TamiWhitsett wrote:
Wow! Which version of Rheinlander was that? (The Face 2 Face version- greenish box, or the old Hasbro version- orangish box?)

If its like our Barnes and Noble here in Camp Hill, PA then it is the Face 2 Face version which is now in the back stock room like the previous poster mentioned because it didn't sell. I also had noticed the same thing, Monopoly, Craniums and stuff now out and Puerto Rico, Carcassone and others back.

Although, I did have them bring out the Tsuro's so my sister could get me one for my Birthday.

I must also mention that there is a beautiful, new wood version of Gobblet out that looks very elegant. Would be great for a coffee table. I have played Gobblet and it is a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Murray
United States
Quakertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have not been returned--most likely they are either still on display somewhere, are in the back room or (least likely, unfortunately) have sold out. The games clearance won't be until sometime after the first of the year...as soon as I find out when I will let you know. (I work for B&N)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tami Whitsett
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krackelman wrote:
TamiWhitsett wrote:

If its like our Barnes and Noble here in Camp Hill, PA then it is the Face 2 Face version which is now in the back stock room like the previous poster mentioned because it didn't sell.

SWEET! I have the other version, and did some playtesting on this new version... I didn't enjoy the new version enough to warrant purchasing it at full price, but if it goes on the discount rack, then maybe. Hmm... maybe Tanga will get this version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its the new one here too. If they wanted to sell euros they probably should have found some with sexier themes. Roborally was a good choice though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barnes & Noble sells at full retail, right? So when they have a clearance sale, does that just mean the prices will come down to the price where you could get it at Thoughthammer anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hancock.tom wrote:
I think its the new one here too. If they wanted to sell euros they probably should have found some with sexier themes. Roborally was a good choice though.

Yes, our local B&N's sold out of RoboRally, Shear Panic and Hey! That's My Fish! a couple weeks ago. I guess "cute" games sell well and "serious-looking" ones do not? Maybe Carcassonne should put a monkey on the front of their box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Davis
United States
Grant
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of my Euro Games are on the front table, I have sold out of a dozen or so titles, I don't know if they will go on sale, all of the stores that I know of actually sold out of their first shipment.
The games that were pulled to the back were dice games, like golf dice and various 10.00 card games, I also had to pull some of the Divinci Code stuff.
Now bear in mind that my store is in Alabama and there is no place to buy interesting or challenging games.

I would suggest that if you see a game that you like at your local Barnes and Noble please buy it. Face it Barnes and Noble is a corporation, they stock what sells and I am thrilled to see that I was able to push out of my door something other that Clue, Monoploy and Scrabble.

I should probably note that I had to use alot of info on this Web site so that I could explain the rules to potential customers. I also printed out various reviews, I wanted my customers to have a good time with their new game(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric fox
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
Dragondragonfly wrote:

Now bear in mind that my store is in Alabama and there is no place to buy interesting or challenging games.

I live in Alabama and this is not entirely true but will not argue the point. Which Alabama store are you in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Davis
United States
Grant
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opps. Sorry, I should not have lumped the entire state into one big group! blush

I actually live in Grant and work at the Jones Valley store in Huntsville.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
Barnes & Noble sells at full retail, right? So when they have a clearance sale, does that just mean the prices will come down to the price where you could get it at Thoughthammer anyway?

Not exactly. I'm not sure where they start out, but B&N sales WILL go as low as 50% - 75%, sometimes even less. AND you don't have to buy $125 worth to get free shipping. Although, there is that pesky sales tax. BUT, if you have one of their fancy discount cards, you get an EXTRA 10% off.

So, it's a pretty good deal actually. Provided you're lucky enough to find some good games. Some lucky b@st@rd$ bought the "War of the Ring" boardgame a few years ago for less than $10 a copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stockdale
United States
Auburn
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I am wondering is how much of the euro game stock is coperate and how much is the store's choice b/c the B&N online store doesn't have any real games for sale at all, just monoploy and the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Davis
United States
Grant
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do know that the CEO attended Essen this year. My Euro games just showed up, then sold out, then I reordered, then sold out. The Web site doesn't have as much gift or speciality items as the actual store.
I also know that the game sale is going to be in Feburary and I think there will be alot of NFL and Marvel Monopolys, along with various dice games and card games and,I hope, Poker sets because I have lots of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragondragonfly wrote:
I do know that the CEO attended Essen this year. My Euro games just showed up, then sold out, then I reordered, then sold out. The Web site doesn't have as much gift or speciality items as the actual store.
I also know that the game sale is going to be in Feburary and I think there will be alot of NFL and Marvel Monopolys, along with various dice games and card games and,I hope, Poker sets because I have lots of them.

It's great news that some stores are selling them so well. Although, I'll note, from your earlier post, that you had a hand in "marketing" those games to your customers. Bravo! (I do hope some of the others are doing so well.)

It's a little bit of a shame that we might have to wait until Feb., but maybe some of my local stores (there are MANY of them - starting to look like Starbucks) will still have a good stock. The guy I talked to at one of 'em spoke as if they couldn't have sold their games taped to a ham sandwich.

And, thanks for the inside info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Murray
United States
Quakertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kathy, do I take you to say that Steve Riggio went to Essen this year? That's interesting news if so...where did you hear it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Went to the Geneva Commons B&N yesterday and they had a few games left and stuck them under their game and puzzle table near the back of the store. Still there:

1 Puerto Rico, 1 Rhinelander, 2 Niagaras, 3 Hey! That's My Fish! and 1 Axis and Allies.

Obviously no one is marketing them at this store shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Davis
United States
Grant
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dennis Murray wrote:
Kathy, do I take you to say that Steve Riggio went to Essen this year? That's interesting news if so...where did you hear it?

I heard it at our annual managers meeting. (During our trade show we had twice as many game vendors than last year. I thought this was interesting!) It looks like B&N as a company is going to be carring more games. I think Steve attened Essen to look for things we could make exclusive.
Some stores also host family game night, with prize support from many companies. This month its Blokus and I have 2 games to give away.
Please note not all stores have this program or even want to mess with it.
We hosted a Think fun night on the Dec 01 and had over 40 kids show up, Think Fun has games that we set up (about 8 in total) and the kids walk around and play the games they think look interesting. We give away about 6 prizes everytime we do these.
Although I enjoy playing games I have not been doing so for long. My Husband and I play Magic, yes, yes we are the kind to attend conventions and pay large amounts of money just for the privledge to play and earn or loose a few points. I never claimed to be brilliant!!
But here lately we have been enjoying the thrill of paying 40.00 for something can we can play with our kids and friends and then play again and again.
And WOW this reply went totally off subject Sorry!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Ekstrand
United States
Mpls
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Anyone been to B & N today yet? I am stuck at work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I called my local store today and was told that there is no current sale but that they are planning one. The sales rep said the managers had not decided when it would start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Carroll
United States
Garland,
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JVKhoury wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

Not exactly. I'm not sure where they start out, but B&N sales WILL go as low as 50% - 75%, sometimes even less. AND you don't have to buy $125 worth to get free shipping. Although, there is that pesky sales tax. BUT, if you have one of their fancy discount cards, you get an EXTRA 10% off.

So, it's a pretty good deal actually. Provided you're lucky enough to find some good games. Some lucky b@st@rd$ bought the "War of the Ring" boardgame a few years ago for less than $10 a copy!

Last year, a guy in our group wandered into B&N totally unaware that they had board games and found they were "clearing the inventory" and picked up TI3 and War of the Ring for 50%, the next week he went in and the table was marked down to 5$. He picked up as many copies as he could get. He asked the checkout clerk when they started carrying them and she replied "we've had them for a while, we just never put them out on the floor"

So sitting in your local B&N storeroom may be a treasure trove waiting to happen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.