Subject: Wok Star: 3rd Edition Kickstarter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I see that a new kickstarter has went live for it today. No link due to BGG rules.

I'm quite interested in this, especially in the nifty looking "limited edition" counters. But I just don't have any faith in having a good experience with anything involving Game Salute. Why must they do this to me?? cry

Actually, I should thank them. Waiting on too many kickstarters already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Teague
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same.

Saw the kickstarter, eyes dinner-plated, and immediately clicked through.

Saw Game Salute, grimaced, and closed the browser.

Granted, I have no personal experience w/ Game Salute, but I've read all the horror stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
I see that a new kickstarter has went live for it today. No link due to BGG rules.

I'm quite interested in this, especially in the nifty looking "limited edition" counters. But I just don't have any faith in having a good experience with anything involving Game Salute. Why must they do this to me?? cry

Just for anyone reading this:

I was a backer for the 2nd edition. Game Salute never delivered the timer app that was unlocked with a stretch goal. The campaign for 2nd edition finished about 2 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
eugaet wrote:
Granted, I have no personal experience w/ Game Salute, but I've read all the horror stories.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt on one campaign. They lived up to their reputation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Wright
United Kingdom
Modbury
Devon
flag msg tools
www.devondice.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed the 2nd edition and was very disappointed with it and Game salute, and I sold it last at the UK games Expo. and i have pledged never to back a GS project again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is great, but I would not touch Game Salute with a barge pole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed the 2nd edition. They're offering a pledge level for just the custom tokens, which look nice. But based on our experience with what was promised vs. what was actually delivered, there's no way I'd back this without seeing those tokens IRL.

And delivery in May 2016? Almost a year for a reprint with minor graphic tweaks? Stay crazy, Game Salute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
jepmn wrote:

Just for anyone reading this:

I was a backer for the 2nd edition. Game Salute never delivered the timer app that was unlocked with a stretch goal. The campaign for 2nd edition finished about 2 years ago.

They also went back on the stretch goal for "custom wooden ingredient tokens" with a claim that they'd be too fragile. Then there was the color/art mess. The timer thing came up as well. Add in the delays when they had to have known there would be delays. I asked for a refund before the project shipped and did get one. I'll follow the project to see if they do better this time around or are starting to change, but I'm not giving them any more money without seeing signs of change from what they have been doing. :-/

(Kills me as Alien Frontiers is one of my favorite games and I think I'd really like Wok Star, but ....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish they'd finish their current projects before starting new ones. Clearly, a leopard cannot change its spots, not that I'm surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Nor its shorts.

(BTW, I updated my earlier post with a link to my GS experience in case anyone is curious what put me off them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While their Wok Star second edition KS was a big disappointment to participate in, their KS for Poseidon's Kingdom is on schedule for an August delivery, or is at most a few weeks late. They set their delivery date almost a year out, even though PK was a previously produced game, to try to under promise and over deliver. That's likely why the May 2016 date for the 3rd edition of Wok Star.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mvettemagred wrote:
their KS for Poseidon's Kingdom is on schedule for an August delivery, or is at most a few weeks late.

I'm not sure how you can say such a thing with a straight face. The only way you know when a GS game will be delivered is when you see it on your doorstep (oh, and check to make sure the right game is actually in the box - see above story link.) whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
The 2nd edition board is printed from what looks like a low-res image that was just enlarged, complete with artifacts and blur.

The tokens shown in the 2nd edition Kickstarter looked nothing like what was actually delivered. It will be interesting to see what the 3D counters actually look like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After my last few experiences with Game Salute, I never believe a word they say until it actually happens. I'm not thrilled that they have started more kickstarters without fulfilling or making notable progress on Legends of the American Frontier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Why can't publishers just do it right the first time instead of punishing their loyal fans with new and improved editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

It irritates me that 3rd edition backers will be able to add the 3D tokens for $15, but 2nd edition owners will have to pay $25. What a slap in the face!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Why can't publishers just do it right the first time instead of punishing their loyal fans with new and improved editions.

Because the loyal fans keep giving them money no matter how badly they're treated. Why would you invest money to get better at these things when you keep getting paid for being bad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
larryjrice wrote:
I wish they'd finish their current projects before starting new ones. Clearly, a leopard cannot change its spots, not that I'm surprised.

Yellow flag. It either means the company is able to manage multiple projects, or it's Ponzi Scheme time. Does this game actually need a third edition? Returning to KS for a new edition of an un-overproduced game makes me wonder why the publisher decided not to, or wasn't able to, make a second printing through traditional retail-distributor sales. I've read enough about GS that I don't need to answer these questions to not back this game, but if anyone has any thoughts, please post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
turtleback wrote:

It irritates me that 3rd edition backers will be able to add the 3D tokens for $15, but 2nd edition owners will have to pay $25. What a slap in the face!

According to the 3rd Edition Kickstarter page, 2nd edition supporters have a special pledge level to purchase only the custom tokens for $15.

That said, I'm annoyed at the tokens and timer app as well, and certainly won't bother giving GS more money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
turtleback wrote:

According to the 3rd Edition Kickstarter page, 2nd edition supporters have a special pledge level to purchase only the custom tokens for $15.

That said, I'm annoyed at the tokens and timer app as well, and certainly won't bother giving GS more money.
They just added it.

They must have realized that the only people that would want the tokens, already bought their 2nd edition, so they must have figured out they are still screwing their 2nd edition customers, by charging them more.

Of course, even with this, they are still screwing them, as they were promised custom, and they got shit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, fuck these guys. The last KS, which unfortunately I was a part of, was a god damn debacle.

My game board looks like a shitty photoshop job with low rez art, the game pieces with "art" on them also look like shit, as we were promised meeples.

God, no one back this, it's a turd in a box.
Or maybe a third edition of said turd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
crambaza wrote:
They must have realized that the only people that would want the tokens, already bought their 2nd edition, so they must have figured out they are still screwing their 2nd edition customers, by charging them more.

Nah, they didn't "just realize" it - they had it pointed out to them over and over again in the comments, and it was starting to be really obvious just how much they were screwing over the previous edition backers. I think they knew full well what they were doing (as much as they ever know what they're doing), but thought they could squeeze people for a little more money. It was only when it was going to be enough bad PR that they changed their mind about it.

If you read the comments, you'll also see that they're basically heaping the blame about the timer on Tim Fowers. Which can't even be the case, but considering their track record, I find it hard to believe that it's always the other guy's fault. It's no wonder Tim ran his Burgle Bros kickstarter under his own user ID and game salute had zero involvement in it (I asked in the comments before I went all in.)

And then they go on to say about how the screwed up tokens are because the thing they had in mind didn't work out. Well, maybe it's a good idea to actually try your idea before you promise it to people when they pay you money? Or at least to tell them that what you were showing is a possibility and not in any way guaranteed. I have a lot of concerns that the 3-D tokens that they've never made before will be the same story all over again. Only this time people will be paying $15 more for them.

And then there's the board! That's like one of the oldest things in boardgames that people have perfected so long ago. It's not in anyway experimental and the results should've been 100% predictable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's worth chiming in that the game itself gets good reviews for gameplay. Kudos to Tim Fowers for the game. The way the 2nd edition campaign was managed was atrocious and the primary reason I won't be touching Game Salute projects until I see a trend of well-run and well-produced projects for a long time.

As for the last edition, I think they could have done the custom cut ingredient tokens, but had the wrong patterns if they thought they'd be too fragile (though it seems more likely the cost was more than they wanted to handle, despite it being unlocked as part of the campaign). The way it turned out, I'm glad I pulled my pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
crambaza wrote:
dcclark wrote:
turtleback wrote:

They just added it.

Of course, even with this, they are still screwing them, as they were promised custom, and they got shit.

Even with a $15 reduced 3D token price for previous backers, the new 3rd edition Kickstarter is still a better deal, so old backers are getting screwed (not even considering broken promises).

2nd edition game $39 + $15 discounted rate for 3D tokens = $54 total
3rd edition game ($35) + 3D tokens ($15) bundle = $50 total

If they wanted to give a deal to the 2nd edition backers, $10 for the set of 3D tokens would be more appropriate, so that 2nd edition backers would be paying a total of $49 compared to $50 for 3rd edition backers. Or leave the prices as they are and include replacement boards and timers with the new tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll give them props for listening to my concerns and adding a new pledge tier. For $15 I'll roll the dice. I'll try to take Dan Y. at his word that they have been trying to improve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.