Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Risto R
Finland
Hämeenlinna
Häme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prologue: I only recently (last week) got myself in to this game and last night tried to introduce it to two potential victims, friends whom I used to play MTG with 15 years ago. I built us 3 decks from the cards I have (1x DTR, NTNR, EDS, DD, FJ) using some dtdb decks as a base. I got us a A/2/3 Law Dogs, 4/5/7 Sloane and J/Q/K 4R. I told the guys that from what I've understood, Law Dogs would play a bit like white-blue deck, Sloane is something of a red deck and 4R would be spellslinging black-green.

Turns out I knew nothing.

We played 3 games, each time with a different deck and while Law Dogs & Sloane felt (too) similar in that they both played league of dudes and wrestled for control each game, 4R deck was just bad as I learned I hadn't included enough production/cheap dudes to provide for the expensive hucksters I thought would have been cool and different.

So I come to you o' mad scientists of the internets: Is there any clear way to define how each faction plays in general? Was it just the lack of my card pool and experience? Did I just build two too similar decks and one bad one? And if so, what sort of meta/decks are out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. Tucker Cobey
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that, in general, 4R tends to play a bit like U/B Control.

Morgan's best strategy right now actually ends up playing like the old Valakut decks: get out as many deeds as you can and win based on them. Because owner wins ties for control and a deed with no dudes on it is tied, they can "landslide" out a whole bunch of deeds and overwhelm their opponents with Control Points that way. If you think of the Morgan home as "mana acceleration," it becomes pretty clear what they're doing.

Sloane and Law Dogs have things that fit pretty uniquely into Doomtown, though. Law Dogs does play a bit like WU in that it wants to use its dudes (hah) to control the board state, but it does that through the bounty mechanic and by heavily punishing cheating. It's a little hard for me to explain; other articles have described LD strategy much better.

Sloane, on the other hand, works more like Rakdos Midrange than it does Sligh. Basically, your process is 1) take the town center, 2) use your outfit to start building a CP advantage--and both base and Desolation Row are good at this--and force your opponent to eventually engage you in a huge shootout in the square that he really doesn't want to and you know you'll win. Allie out of the base set is one of the best Sloane dudes for this; your opponent can't risk letting her sit in the town square day after day because of the CP she'll build, but you'll have surrounded her with high-value Studs to the point where calling her out is just not going to be an option.

I'm pretty new at the game myself, but I hope that helps out a little bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FOurth Ring Hucksters need the 'right spells' and support - you might try 8, 10, J or 8, j, Q to get at Paralysis Mark and/or Shadow Walk for example.

Also, you HAVE to use 4R's ability - get outside the home and cast a spell to cycle the card and gain the ghost rock. Fave trick is to boot over to their deed. ONce they come over to challenge you, Shadow Walk home - you get GR/card draw, they are stuck at a deed (e.g. have to boot to move anywhere).

Use a Grifter (Travis, Gina, Freddie) to ensure you get a spell in your opening hand.

You can try the new Oddities of Nature outfit as well, but that's a bit more nuanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto R
Finland
Hämeenlinna
Häme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for the replies! Helps me to wrap my head around it.. I've also spent the day at work trying to search for any generic strategy guides and found the ones on alderac pages quite helpful.

I figured I'd link the decks we had in case someone might want to give some feedback on how to do them correctly:

Law Dogs: http://dtdb.co/en/decklist/1084/introduction-sheriff-a-2-3-
Sloane: http://dtdb.co/en/decklist/1085/introduction-sloane-4-5-7-
The Fourth Ring: http://dtdb.co/en/decklist/1086/introduction-clowns-j-q-k-

It is all from one card pool, made of 1x DTR, NTNR, DD, SDE and FJ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.