Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Engler
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
@cengler42 on Instagram
badge
Don't get caught watching the paint dry.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing pen & paper role-playing games (RPGs) for over twenty years and I have to say that Savage Worlds is a system that is obviously the product of many years of game desinger wisdom. The motto of "Fast! Furious! Fun!" is certainly the best way to describe what you'll experience when you play Savage Worlds.

As with any RPG, the fate of the game lies squarely on the shoulders of the game-master (GM). Savage Worlds makes no secret of the fact that it was a system designed with the GM in mind. Savage Worlds makes so many aspects of a GM's job simple and fast which leaves more time and mental energy for the GM to devote to creating and narrating a compelling story.

Savage Worlds has a cinematic action feel to it and divides everyone in the game into two broad categories: extras and wild cards. Wild cards are player characters (PCs) and the GM's significant non-player characters (NPCs); extras are everyone else. There is a very clear distinction between extras and wild cards and this, from the start, makes it clear how wild cards are a cut above everyone else.

Attributes and skills in Savage Worlds are expressed as a polyhedral die-type between d4 (lowest) and d12 (highest). To perform a task you roll the die representing the skill or attribute relevant to what your character is attempting as well as an additional d6 (this is known as the "wild die" and it's a bonus that all wild cards get). If you roll the highest possible number on a die you roll and additional time and add the results together until you cease to roll the highest number. You take the higher result from the wild die and attribute/skill die and, if you get higher than a total of four, you succeed at your task. It's that easy. Combat is slightly more nuanced than the basic "trait test" just described but it's fundamentally the same process. The best part of this system is that literally everything in Savage Worlds is accomplished this way. You won't spend your time hunting through manuals looking for chart after chart.

I could go on and on about the ways Savage Worlds makes things simpler but the kind of simple but profound elegance the "trait test" displays is common to practically all of the elements of a RPG that are usually the most cumbersome.

The Savage Worlds rulebook is a light-weight tome of approximately 150 pages that you can read in an evening. From there you can purchase ready-made settings from a variety of authors, write your own, or download fan-produced adaptations at www.savageheroes.com to your heart's content.

Time is precious and Savage Worlds has the highest game play to preparation time ratio of any RPG I've ever played,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Haag
Canada
Kitchener/Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chris,

Can you tell me -- are there major differences between the original hardback (the one pictured here in the Geek) and the new "revised" version of the hardback? Is it one of those games that demands upgrading first if you really want to play?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
There were only a few rule changes between the two editions. Those changes are available for free from the PEG website:

http://www.peginc.com/Games/Savage%20Worlds/Downloads/SW%20R...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you rate SW versus Runequest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've probably played about twenty different RPG systems in my days, and read about 20 more. About a year ago, a friend of mine introduced me to Savage Worlds.

Savage Worlds quickly became our gang's default rules system of choice. We kept re-working every genre for Savage Worlds. I'm even now looking at the Nocturnum Modern Call of Cthulhu d20 campaign, for which I actually own the necessary original d20 Call of Cthulhu sourcebook, and I think I'd *still* translate it into Savage Worlds before playing.

It is just too darned fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Engler
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
@cengler42 on Instagram
badge
Don't get caught watching the paint dry.
mbmbmbmbmb
viktor_haag wrote:
Hey Chris,

Can you tell me -- are there major differences between the original hardback (the one pictured here in the Geek) and the new "revised" version of the hardback? Is it one of those games that demands upgrading first if you really want to play?

Thanks!

Mike Z. answered it perfectly. PEG is a really fan-friendly company and the link Mike posted is all you need to update from the old version to the new version. I never played the "Premiere" edition so I couldn't tell you if it "demands upgrading" as you put it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Savage Worlds have any published rules or fan rules for space or post-apocalyptic settings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Blessing
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two post-apocalyptic settings for Savage Worlds. One is funny; the other not so.

Low Life is a setting that answers all the tongue-in-cheek commentary about the world after the bomb. You know how they say the only thing left will be cockroaches and Twinkies? Well in Low Life you can play Cream Fillians and Croaches. The only thing you can't be is human.

Necropolis is a setting where mankind has left an overpopulated and used-up earth. They colonize a new planet only to find it's infested with undead. Heavy religious influence here.

Both of the above settings are excellent, though Necropolis is only currently available in PDF format.

In addition to this, and also in PDF, are toolkits designed to help you handle different settings including Sci-Fi, Horror, Fantasy, and Pulp.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron Blessing wrote:
There are two post-apocalyptic settings for Savage Worlds. One is funny; the other not so.

Low Life is a setting that answers all the tongue-in-cheek commentary about the world after the bomb. You know how they say the only thing left will be cockroaches and Twinkies? Well in Low Life you can play Cream Fillians and Croaches. The only thing you can't be is human.

Necropolis is a setting where mankind has left an overpopulated and used-up earth. They colonize a new planet only to find it's infested with undead. Heavy religious influence here.

Both of the above settings are excellent, though Necropolis is only currently available in PDF format.

In addition to this, and also in PDF, are toolkits designed to help you handle different settings including Sci-Fi, Horror, Fantasy, and Pulp.

Hope this helps.

Yes, definitely helps! I've been an avid fan of Gamma World and Metamorphosis Alpha since they first came out in the 70's. The SciFi toolkit may be just what I've been looking for, in addition to Savage Worlds for a system.

I've just found all kinds of SW resources that are answering tons of my questions before I can even type them into a forum. www.rpg.net and the Great White Games forums helped me decide that SW is the system I've been looking for all these years.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Blessing
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm "ronism" on the GWG forums. I also do the Savage Worlds podcast every month. If you have any questions, just PM me or email me through the podcast.

Chris (the guy who wrote this review) also does a great actual play podcast for his Savage Worlds game. I think its about Low LIfe, actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm currently running Evernight, which is a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting. It's very dark and the post-apocalypse part is really emphasized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, guys! I'm finishing the "research" phase for RPGs and putting together an order list for SW. I'll check out Low Life and Evernight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.