Steampunk Rally» Forums » Variants

Subject: Fictional Scientists? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Will there be an expansion? Maybe one, perhaps, involving fictional scientists (for example, Captain Nemo, Robur the Conqueror, Wilhelm Wonka, and Dr. Arliss Loveless)?

Let me know what you all think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I think it would be rather fun to see, you'd quickly run into copyright issues with quite a lot of characters, which would really limit what you could put into the game without getting hit with a C&D. However, there is quite a lot of early sci-fi writers (such as Jules Verne and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) that are now public domain, particularly from this time period, so there's still a wealth of options to pull from.

I'd say go for it. It would bring to light some classic stories that seem to have fallen somewhat to the wayside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hallam-Stephens
Australia
Castlemaine
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
While I think it would be rather fun to see, you'd quickly run into copyright issues with quite a lot of characters, which would really limit what you could put into the game without getting hit with a C&D. However, there is quite a lot of early sci-fi writers (such as Jules Verne and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) that are now public domain, particularly from this time period, so there's still a wealth of options to pull from.

I'd say go for it. It would bring to light some classic stories that seem to have fallen somewhat to the wayside.
Robur the Conqueror an Captain Nemo are both Jules Verne characters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing stopping you from homebrewing them, right? Just take an existing scientist from the game and transplant someone else's face/name overtop of the mechanics already on the card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl hilinski
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I would like to see a set of inventors whose expertise in one of the main technologies--steam, electricity or combustion--has more of an impact on the machine they build. It's very easy with the stock inventors to ignore their expertise (generally the one that provides a die when the lightbulb is switched off) and switch entirely to a different technology. Say an inventor is a steam maven and produces one blue die. But when you get your cards during the initial card-passing rounds, there's a part that provides good, cheap movement that requires electricity. Though your inventor doesn't know anything about electricity, he moves the same amount as an inventor who is an electricity expert and has the same part. I've played a ton of sessions (mostly solitaire, but a few via vassal against another human) and it just doesn't seem like the inventor I start with has that much effect on the machine I build.

I don't know if this is a legitimate feeling or not. But perhaps a set of inventors who instead of providing a blue die would give a +1 pip on every blue die would make me want to favor one technology over another in building my machine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering making a for-my-use-only group of inventors from http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/index.php Although, if Roxley Games got the rights to an official expansion with those characters, wow, I'd almost call it a must buy, and I think it would draw more people to the game (crossover fans).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try using one part of one inventor, and another inventor for the other part?

Yes, it would be nice to have an inventor to have a special ability that is linked heavily into the machine e.g. +1/-1 pip on all dice linked directly to that card - make 2-4 connections on that card, depending how good that card's ability is for connecting cards. A whole bunch of other ideas are easily designed along these lines. But, the big question is testing it against the current game, and I'll leave that to the designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls