$35.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
61 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Kingdom Builder» Forums » News

Subject: Kingdom Builder: Marshlands Stealth Announced, Put on Kickstarter, Canceled rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
We interrupt this regularly scheduled post to bring you this note from designer Donald X. Vaccarino on the subject of the Kickstarter that Queen has started for this expansion (posted a few replies down).

donaldx wrote:
The contract expires if they haven't published the expansion by June 30 2015, and given that they haven't paid me yet for 2014, I'm not feeling inclined to give them more time. But I mean, who knows, maybe they will quickly get a German copy on a store shelf somewhere.

Update: it appears that a resolution is in the works.

That post, or maybe the crosspost to the kickstarter, appears to have motivated them; they are very apologetic and in fact have offered to pay me an advance on next year's royalties. And they fixed the royalty statement to include the missing stuff (also there was missing stuff on the royalty statement, but that could totally be an honest mistake; RGG for example recently accidentally overpaid me for online Dominion, in one of their quarterly payments).

So next year they could be just as late but a hunk of it would be early instead. What about the year after that, you may be saying. It's a question isn't it.

I haven't signed a new contract yet; it seems only prudent to wait to see if the money shows up before making any rash decisions.

Obv. the expansion's existence depends on this; I mean if you ever want the expansion and I want to be nice to fans of KB, I should give them an extension. They have of course helpfully pointed this out.

Update: Marshlands will not be released quite so soon.

Queen has been making an effort to work out just how much exactly they owe me for 2014, in a completely friendly fashion, and has paid most of it. That isn't the kind of thing I would normally be reporting on, but people may have guessed otherwise when the kickstarter went down.

The kickstarter will be going down. I couldn't see myself signing a new contract for it. I feel like I have said enough on the topic to make it clear what my reasoning was and it's not the kind of thing I want to endlessly discuss on BGG.

I am optimistic that the expansion may be published someday, but I would not be expecting it this year.

Original news post follows.

I didn't see this actually announced anywhere, but here it is on BGG along with some details and images: Kingdom Builder: Marshlands

The BGG Description wrote:
Kingdom Builder: Marshlands, the third boxed expansion for Kingdom Builder designed by Donald X. Vaccarino, builds on this already exciting world of skill acquisition and land dominance.

There are 24 location tiles with 8 new abilities and 12 summary cards for the edges of the board. There are 4 new board quadrants with the Marshes land type on them. Castles have been replaced with Forts adding a different scoring possibility. To go along with this new land type, 5 Marsh terrain cards are added to the terrain deck.

What makes the Marshes expansion unique are the bonus abilities. For the included new abilities, a bonus ability is unlocked if you manage to collect that ability twice. For example, if you have collected the Rider ability, you may move one of your pieces into an adjacent land hex. If you collect a second Rider, then in addition to getting to move twice via your Riders, you can also jump one piece in a straight line to the first empty land hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Kingdom Builder: Marshlands Stealth Announced
Nice.

But what does all of this mean for Kingdom Builder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
Nice.

But what does all of this mean for Kingdom Builder?

My first question was: "Is that still Kingdom builder?" But yes, I guess it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tylor Lilley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, so excited for finally see this announced! The new marshland spaces/cards and new scoring cards are really exciting to me. I wonder if the two-marsh-spaces and three-other-spaces on the cards are significabt? If I recall correctly, the base cards just have one space on them. Maybe those are a reminder for so.etching like, place TWO settlements on marshland OR place three settlements on the land type? Hmm.

I did a quick search and even checked Queen games' site but found nothing about this. Mind letting us know where you found all this information? I assume the score cards were made too small to be readable in the source as well, but it couldn't hurt to check.

In any case, that ks for bring the good news over to us on BGG! I appreciate it and I'm very excited for this now.

Was there a release date with the original announcement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info Matt! I'd love to know when it's being released!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I'll clarify the first post. Everything here is straight from the BGG page of the expansion. I have no inside knowledge, sadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I can make out of the new scoring cards (copied from image comments).

Geologists: Connect mountains with each other. 2 gold for mountains that are connected with other mountains by your own settlements.

Messengers: Maintain the distance between your own connected settlements.

Noblewomen: Castle, Capitol, nomad and location spaces count additionally like Palaces*. Each player who has built the most settlements next to these spaces scores 3 gold.

*Looks a bit like Pelicans - I hope it's Pelicans

Vassals: Build along the inside edges of the sections. X gold for each of your own settlements built next to at least one inside edge of the sections.

Captains: Build your settlements close to each other. X gold for each of your settlements next to at least one of your own settlements.

Scouts: Build next to the ??? terrain type. X gold for each of your own settlements adjacent to the ??? terrain type that is ??? ??? ??? terrain type itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
milenaguberinic wrote:

BGG says it will be an October 2015 release. So I assume - Essen, and if we're lucky some might get it a couple of weeks prior to Essen. Or, it could mean those of us not going to Essen will have to wait for a month or so after Essen. All speculation at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
milenaguberinic wrote:

BGG says it will be an October 2015 release. So I assume - Essen, and if we're lucky some might get it a couple of weeks prior to Essen. Or, it could mean those of us not going to Essen will have to wait for a month or so after Essen. All speculation at this point.

But I want it now! *whine*

meeple I'm just happy this game is getting another expansion! Not that it needs it, but it's great to see!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
Geologists: Connect mountains with each other. 2 gold for mountains that are connected with other mountains by your own settlements.

Messengers: Maintain the distance between your own connected settlements.

Noblewomen: Castle, Capitol, nomad and location spaces count additionally like Palaces*. Each player who has built the most settlements next to these spaces scores 3 gold.

*Looks a bit like Pelicans - I hope it's Pelicans

Vassals: Build along the inside edges of the sections. X gold for each of your own settlements built next to at least one inside edge of the sections.

Captains: Build your settlements close to each other. X gold for each of your settlements next to at least one of your own settlements.

Scouts: Build next to the ??? terrain type. X gold for each of your own settlements adjacent to the ??? terrain type that is ??? ??? ??? terrain type itself.

The cards themselves are still blurred in the rules images I've seen, but here's what I can glean from the images and notes:

Geologists: 2 Gold for mountains that are connected with other mountains by your settlements. (A "mountains" is a contiguous area of mountain hexes (this includes lone mountain hexes as well.)

Messengers: This one is tough to explain. Basically find your two settlements that are furthest apart from each other, but still connected via your own settlements. 2 Gold for each hex in the shortest line between them (including those two Settlements).

Noblewomen: Castles, Capitals, Nomads, and location tiles all count as Palaces this game (the player with the most settlements adjacent to one gets 5 Gold; in case of a tie, all tying players get 5 Gold).

Vassals: 1 Gold for each of your own settlements built next to at least one inner edge of the sections.

Captains: 1 gold for each of your settlements next to at least 3 of your own settlements.

Scouts: This is a really cool one. Before the game, you draw a random card from the terrain deck, then remove all cards of that terrain type from the deck. Scouts gives you 1 Gold for each of your settlements next to (but not on) that removed terrain type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
WANT TO HAVE SO BADLY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Scouts sounds great.

Also the bonus power for having two Temples is crazy powerful! (the first of your three mandatory placements each turn doesn't have to obey adjacency).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the title as though the name of the expansion was "Marshlands Stealth" - including some kind of black ops into KB? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hect
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FYI, this is on Kickstarter now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1016374822/kingdom-buil...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonR32 wrote:

Darn. I was going to make a "Kingdom Builder EVEN BIGGER box Kickstarter" joke but Queen beat me to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
jasonR32 wrote:

The contract expires if they haven't published the expansion by June 30 2015, and given that they haven't paid me yet for 2014, I'm not feeling inclined to give them more time. But I mean, who knows, maybe they will quickly get a German copy on a store shelf somewhere.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
jasonR32 wrote:

Today has truly been a day of ups and downs. Here's hoping they pay you sharpish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
jasonR32 wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I really want this expansion but I do not want want to support a project from a publisher who has not paid the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Power Grid Fan
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
jasonR32 wrote:

That's surprising since they raised about $160,000 in 2014 for the Kickstarter Big Box version...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tylor Lilley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
jasonR32 wrote:

Donald that sucks to hear. You are a very helpful guy and I love your games. I already had many reasons to dislike Queen games. But this one has jumped up to the top of the list. I am sorry you are being treated this way.

I've been waiting for the next expansion for forever and was extremely excited to hear it announced. The gameplay sounds fun despite the usual Queen games mess of translation, Kickstarters, etc. I look forward to playing it, but I am saddened to hear that it could be at the expense of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
jasonR32 wrote:

Oh god, that is so horrible.

Queen Games, I hate so much about the way you choose to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
Quick, someone pledge $1 on the campaign and let everyone there to not pledge until Queen pays Donald.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Quick, someone pledge $1 on the campaign and let everyone there to not pledge until Queen pays Donald.

I had already pledged, so I commented. I linked Donald's post and suggested that they should probably pay him soonish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray R.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:

The KS ends on June 30th. Would be kind of annoying for them to take our money on the same day they lose the contract.

Can you let us know if they fail to pay you before the 23rd? That's the day before the London Markets KS ends and I'd like to cancel my pledges for both KB: Marshlands and London Markets (which I only want for Rat Hot anyway) if they don't make this right.

Also, can you tell us if another publisher might be ready to pick up KB if it comes to that? We're loving the game; one of our absolute favorites. I'll be very sad if this gets in the way of it reaching the full potential you planned for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to withdraw my pledge on the last day if they haven't paid Donald by then. I'll likely post another comment a couple days beforehand, specifically warning backers that their copies may not materialize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.