Subject: War Council - Brillaint concept but potential flaws? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Custom War Council is without a doubt a great addition to the Richard Borg design. The Commander is clearly where you would want to cash in some of your 6 tokens. The enticement of a special tile if you play 3 tokens on a character leaving you pay dearly for lore on any of the missing Council characters is awesome.

However, I was surprised to find a major difference in the number of cards that are affected by the Level that each Character has.

Of the 15 cards that relate to each character, the Cleric seems to fare best, having 6 Lore Cards that are improved by Level, the Wizard has 4, the Rogue 3 and the Warrior a measley 1.

It leaves me wondering why you would ever want to have a Level 2 Warrior, when you would have to forgo something else. Also it makes the Cleric the most likely character with the Commander to promote to Level 3.

I know the tiles acquired for Level 3 go a little way to mitigate this imbalance but is it enough? Time will tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I think the real question is why have a Level 2 character?

You get level 1 so you don't pay the extra 3 Lore to play the card.
You get Level 3 to get the Tile.
With so few cards depending on the level, it doesn't seem all that worth it to get a level 2 War Councilor.
Heck, it's only the presense of the Lore Master that determines how many of his cards go in. Wether you have a Level 1, 2 or 3, you put in the same number of his cards into the Lore deck.

It looks kinda like your best bet is to get a Level 1 of each, and only worry about a LEvel 3 if you want the tile. My impression of course may change drastically if the game ever gets to me. *grumble*grumble*

On that note:

I too was surprised and slightly disappointed by the lack of level dependant cards. Not game breaking or anything, but I expected most cards to get better with level. And a few less repeat cards too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a level 2 cleric is useful, since 7 of his cards are level-dependant. Rouge and Sorceror only have 5, and the warrior devastating 2 wow. However, one of his cars, can onlyy be usead if you at least have alevel 2 warrior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tech7 wrote:
However, one of his cars, can onlyy be usead if you at least have alevel 2 warrior.

Actually, I believe you can use Cry Havoc with a level 1 warrior. You get no bonus dice for combat, but you still score extra hits on lore symbols.

As for the usefulness of level 2 lore masters: if you want a diverse war council and are not interested in the bonus tiles, taking a single master at level 2 grants you an extra lore token and card to start with, and a card limit of 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
delattre alain
France
orleans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keep in mind, later there is new lore card
have fun
alain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Niko Ruf wrote:
tech7 wrote:
However, one of his cars, can onlyy be usead if you at least have alevel 2 warrior.

Actually, I believe you can use Cry Havoc with a level 1 warrior. You get no bonus dice for combat, but you still score extra hits on lore symbols.

As for the usefulness of level 2 lore masters: if you want a diverse war council and are not interested in the bonus tiles, taking a single master at level 2 grants you an extra lore token and card to start with, and a card limit of 3.

Oh,
you are right, I forgot about the lore symbols.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tech7 wrote:
I think a level 2 cleric is useful, since 7 of his cards are level-dependant. Rouge and Sorceror only have 5, and the warrior devastating 2 wow. However, one of his cars, can onlyy be usead if you at least have alevel 2 warrior.

Wow, some of those Level based cards are hard to spot. I found 7 Clerics, 2 Warriors and 5 Rogues but I couldn't find a fifth Wizard card that was level based. The one's I have are 3, 10, 13 and 14.
Which one am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.