Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerard Mulder
Netherlands
Voorhout
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played a 4P game where one player got England and sole control of Russia too. (we just handed out the control flags randomly). Gordon was approaching Imperial much like a wargame. He used Russia to knock Germany out and England to seriously kick the French. He built factories and started taxing realtively late but at such a pace that it seemed inevitable that the English would end the Game. Gordon also kept in control of England at all cost buying bonds whenever he could to reinforce his own position. The other players also tried to get into England keeping the war treasury well filled.

It was Austria (unopposed by the Russians on the balkan) that ended the game one turn before England could. Had Gordon used the Russians to attack Austria in Vienna in stead of keeping Germany occupied, he would have won with this strategy.

Key to his near success were, occupying factories in Germany and France thus completely dominating the north with the English, Sacrificing Russia completely. It is the most successfull attempt at playing Risk on the Imperial Board that I have seen to this day.

The game lasted long (3+ hours) because of all the fighting, there were less rounds because of the English dominance and Austrian racing to end game. All in all there were few investor turns and relatively few taxations.

I won with only 96 money after counting Bonds. Russia was at 0 multiplier and Italy and France were only at a meagre 1. Germany was at 3 and England at 4. There were 4 factories in England, France, Austria and Germany. There were 3 factories in Italy and 2 in Russia. Every country used import to get more troops at one time or another and at taxation usually there were a lot of troops to be payed. Only Germany and Austria ever changed ownership. The other countries stayed with their original owners.

Lets see if Gordons Risky approach can lead to a winnable strategy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walther Gerdts
Germany
Hamburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule Britannia - the risky approach sounds like a promising strategy!
Your session report reminds me of a 6P game on tuesday, where I owned the british flag from the beginning to the end. Several players joined in early, keeping the british treasury filled. But even more important was the result, that all other british investors did not really act against british interests until it was too late!
Apart from two small russian bonds of 2 and 4Mio, all my money was invested in GB. In the end GB reached factor 5x, Italy factor 4x, and all other nations only factor 1x or 2x. I won with 106 points, the second player had 92.
Having built only one additional shipyard in Edinburgh, Britannia ruled the waves, imported many troops, occupied Scandinavia, stopped the Germans building fleets in Hamburg, and even took Portugal. France was a weak nation, heavily attacked by the strong Italians, and Germany got into trouble, as changing governments did not execute a coherent strategy.
I think the British can do very well, but they have to strike their neighbours hard and fast!
Game took about 3hrs including 30min rules explanation for 2 newbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have so much time to play, you really ought to have the time be making us more brilliant games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.