Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Recently got DH and was surprised to see that the new mechanics from CotDP wheren't included on some of the new cards (eg Surprise) I can appreciate that FFG are perhaps looking to keep each expansion independent of each other (and kudos to them for not forcing players along the line of having to buy all expansions in order to keep up with rule changes etc). However my concern is that surely expansion specific rules will be lost as further expansions are (hopefully) added. Things such as Gate Bursts (DH) and barred investigators (CotDP) add (I feel) more to the game, and it would be a shame if these became less and less of an threat/occurance.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing a bit of repetition in rule books if it means that FFG re-use existing mechanics from expansions.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
So far, they've definitely keep each expansion well separated. Since I'm going to shuffle them all in any case, I'd prefer to see more "contaminations" between them. I don't think it'll be the case (sadly!), but let's hope...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The reason is that the designer of Arkham Horror and Dunwich Horror, Richard Launius, had nothing to do with Curse of the Dark Pharaoh and as he had nothing to do with the upcoming King in Yellow expansion, you can expect that trend to continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I noticed that the designers where different on the smaller expansions, however seems strange that wouldn't have an idea as to what has happened in previous expansions. However things pan out I'm sure I'll still buy 'em!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dark One wrote:
I noticed that the designers where different on the smaller expansions, however seems strange that wouldn't have an idea as to what has happened in previous expansions. However things pan out I'm sure I'll still buy 'em!

I had the impression that Dunwhich and Pharao were in development rather at the same time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert March
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, how are people playing if they have both expansions? Mix them both into the base game? We've got Dark Pharoah and I've always done the visiting exhibition variant, as it is supposed to be harder (we rarely lose, with 3 players). I'm hoping to see Dunwich Horror this holiday season, and want to get an idea what is the optimal way to incorporate it. Ideally, I want to use it so that the game difficulty increases.

It drives my wife nuts that I sometimes seem to be rooting for us to lose. But, how can you feel as if you are doomed if every time you face some otherworldly being you can say, 'Nyarlathotep? Meh, not a problem!'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.