Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We had a 6-player game last night get called at the 4-hour mark without a clear winner and I was wondering how the game could be reigned in a little bit. I still feel that the terrorists are far too powerful in the game and can easily undermine even the strongest of empires.

Here is one optional rule that I've been considering:

Only terrorist markers of equivalent size or larger than their target can be used in a Terrorist Attack against. In other words, it takes a terrorist column to attack a town, and a cell to attack a city.

This would make the terrorists more of a precision instrument than a random littering of the board with dozens of vanguards (all with the ability to blow away a city that cost 17x their development cost).

The next time we play a game, I hope to try out this variant and see if it allows a tiny bit more stability to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea Neil!!! Let me know how that one works!!! We played last night and the Terrorist seemed way too powerful. Going to re-read the rules tonight to make sure I am not missing anything.....boy...sure was fun though!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Neil,

Check the card appendix - under 'terrorist attack' you'll see a big exclamation mark and something in bold to the tune of "terrorist units must be at least the same size as the development they're attacking".

No wonder it took ages if you were blowing away cities with vanguards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ye gads! This is the second MAJOR RULE that I have somehow botched for this game! (but it wasn't just myself, another player had read the rules and missed that one as well)

It's eerie how many "obvious" rules I keep overlooking in this game. But now that I am a little closer to playing it the way that it was meant to be played, I'm looking forward to the next go-round.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe TerrorBull should start maintaining an official Addendum, Frequently Missed Rules, or a more general Rules FAQ (more than what's already on their site).

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It's an odd thing... the rules we missed were RIGHT THERE and yet we overlooked them. Part of the issue, for me perhaps, might be in having a card almanac that exits independent of the game rules and yet contains critical info to gameplay.

I don't blame the clarity of the rules, I think the oversight is on my part.

But FMR (Frequently Missed Rules) is a pretty amusing concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
troll god
msg tools
mb
Nice idea - An FMR section coming up in The Evil Balaclava (http://www.forumsvibe.com/thewaronterror)...

Hopefully The Big Cheeses will help keep it updated with anything they are asked directly & we'll keep adding anything that crops up on the forum boards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Point taken about critical rules being in the card appendix. It's funny how technical restraints play a part in game design. For example, our rule book was chock-a-block at 12 pages and with the format we had, there was the choice of adding an extra 4 pages (another sheet of A3 makes four A4 sides) or putting some of the information in the card appendix which was about 2 pages short of making 12.

See? It's really dull designing board games sometimes : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.