Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
2 player map: Corsica

The map is available at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=20630. (Two segments, printable on A4 or US letter paper.)

The white line is the outline of Corsica and does not have any effect in the game.

rule changes (updated: Feb. 9)

Start with 3 cubes / city.

Purple cubes in Corte or in the white city 3 column on the goods board are replaced (redraw immediately). Similarly, yellow cubes in Calvi or in the white city 4 column on the goods board are replaced (redraw immediately).

The cities on the right half of the goods board (the black city columns and the black new cities (E,F,G,H)) are NOT used.

Issuing shares is simultaneous. All players select a number of their wooden discs equal to the number of shares they want to issue in their hands, and reveal these simultaneously.

There cannot be two cities in bordering hexes. A town next to a city cannot be urbanized.

Terrain costs:
hills: +1
mountains: +2
All in addition to normal costs. (Hence, connecting Bastelica would cost 1 + number of connections + 2.)

You can build a maximum of 2 track tiles in a turn; 3 with the engineer.

In the 'produce goods' phase, roll 3 D6 once (for the white cities; the black cities are not used).

The game lasts for 8 turns.

playtest notes

Bidding for the first turn should be about three connections: Bastia - Corte through Morosaglia; Corte - Calvi; and straight north from Bastia. The last one is especially important if there are lots of red cubes in Bastia or lots of blue cubes in Ajaccio. In these cases, urbanize Hogliano red or blue as soon as possible.
Besides this, there is nothing else worth mentioning (at least I don't remember anything special).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this map for the first time today. Excellent map - tight, nice size for two. Great job!

My only concern, which is generally directed toward any two-player map that uses it, is the requirement to sort starting goods such that no city has goods of its own color in it (or on the goods display). Doing this makes the early game too easy-going, as it eliminates the need for early urbanization - there are already plenty of viable routes. For instance, in the game today I was able to ship two goods over two links on my first turn. This dissipates, if not eliminates, the money squeeze in the early game to the point that it becomes too easy, imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for trying the map, and thanks for the compliment and the comment. I think you make a valid point about the goods cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Suitable for solo play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I haven't tried. Of the maps I made for solo play, 'Colony' and 'Hong Kong' are my favorites. You can find both in the variants forum here.

-edit-

Since posting the above, this thread has been moved. Here are the proper links:
Age of Steam Expansion: Colony
Age of Steam Expansion: Hong Kong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
I haven't tried. Of the maps I made for solo play, 'Colony' and 'Hong Kong' are my favorites. You can find both in the variants forum here.

Excellent. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michiel Hillenius
Netherlands
Hoogland (Amersfoort)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this map recently and very much enjoyed it. It is a tense fight for land. Very well playable with Steam rules too. Besides the usual roles locomotive and urbanisation, first build and engineer are also very important on this map.
We ignored the set-up rules about no cubes of its own colour on cities. It creates more need to urbanize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.