Popular Tags: geekgold [+] photos [+] [View All]
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I was visiting family because my dad had some surgery done. Those who visit the Off-Topic forums may remember my message there about karma, in which, to atone for some unknown past evil, I sat with a bag full of pretty decent games and instead played Trivial Pursuit: Totally 80s Edition at my sister's request.

During said game, I took some photos of the board and components. And I was about to upload them yesterday when suddenly it occurred to me exactly why Karma had me playing the wretched thing to begin with.

Sure, I could upload the photos. And there's nothing wrong with them, so they'd probably be approved, and I'd get me some geekgold. Yay. But really, does BGG need any more photos of "Trivial Pursuit: Totally 80s Edition"? Has anyone other than me even looked at the photos for it recently, or at all?

Hence: my feeling like a whore. Collecting GG for something nobody needs or wants (though to be fair, in the whore relationship, both sides get SOMETHING they want, unlike my completely one-sided deal) makes me feel dirty. It's not even a question of "taking up space on the server". The pictures wouldn't use up any noticable hard drive real estate. It's just getting credit for providing content that, honestly, nobody would even realize was gone if it wasn't there.

Any thoughts? Am I just being stupid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the Karma even out if you use your geekgold for good?

Of course, I have no suggestions for what would be considered "good".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what is wrong with feeling like a whore?

They get to stay up late and sleep all day if they want to. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

As for a more serious response- hey, the whole idea of getting GG is to submit stuff. Some of that stuff from ANYONE is occasionally crappy and is known even before the "submit" button is clicked.

By nature we desire wealth of any kind. Even unreal wealth such as GG. If it means you submit crap or unworthy material that someone is willing to pay for, what is the big deal? Besides, who is to say what somebody needs or wants? Don't be so negative.

As a song used to decree-
"TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN".

If you need to dwell on this further perhaps you should speak to a religious figure who can fill your head with concepts of greed and guilt.

Just my opinion.

PS- I hope your dad is doing well. And you beat your sister at Trivial Pursuit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mossman
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is very similar to "Does the world need more lawyers?" The total number certaintly doesn't need any boosting, but the world always needs more good ones.

I would say the same about photos - people probably have a good idea what certain popular games look like, but I am often surprised that many very popular (not necessarily highly rated) games don't have many good photos. To that end, the thumbsup "system" will filter out the better photos and let them rise to the top of the collection when viewing. Mediocre photos will be relegated to the bottom of the viewing order.

If you've got some images that you think are good, send 'em in. Look forward to seeing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
(though to be fair, in the whore relationship, both sides get SOMETHING they want, unlike my completely one-sided deal)

Maybe weasel would be a better term. Or maybe just greedy bastard.

If the photos show the game and its components better or in new and different ways than the current ones, then someone, someday who wants to know if its worth getting TP80 (as the hip kids call it) off of eBay for $97.95 will be very glad you up uploaded them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wheeler
United States
Ammon
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The system fully supports your actions. Feel no shame.
Some would say that whoring is a time-honored tradition. I wouldn't say that, but some would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leftfield
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I just played that game over Thanksgiving. If I'd seen your photos before, I might have fought hard enough to get them to play one of my games instead!

My favorite part of the game was the way the little pie pieces click into place so they don't fall out.

My feeling is that you are contributing to thorough documentation of games whether we like them or not. They will be useful to someone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after all, uploading images is the oldest profession on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would evaluate the pictures versus those already in the database. If a game already has, say 50 or 100, would 10 more really help? Generally not, unless you came up with a new angle.

In fairness, though, as a wargamer its easy for me to say this. There are many wargames with just a few pictures, and I can add 10 new pictures to a game and feel good about. A new user who plays Euros will be hard pressed to add any pictures of value to Settlers of Catan or whatever.

I guess you should upload away. Why not add more content and let the user decide which pictures add to their understanding of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, update:

I have uploaded the photos. Their fate is now in everyone else's hands.

My dad is doing fine.

I "won" the Trvial Pursuit game, if indeed any such game has a winner. When it came time for my final question they gave me a movie one instead of a sports one, ensuring I would win instead of prolonging the game.

Thanks for your comments. I like the argument that, as a community site, it's best to let the community make decisions. If you guys want Trivial Pursuit: Totally 80s Photos, it's not me to decide whether or not you get them. Also: geekgold!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
I have uploaded the photos. Their fate is now in everyone else's hands.

I approved them. Nice photos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
I "won" the Trvial Pursuit game, if indeed any such game has a winner.

Probably. You "lost" when you agreed to play.

Quote:
When it came time for my final question they gave me a movie one instead of a sports one, ensuring I would win instead of prolonging the game.

Sounds like they would agree...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of putting pictures up of Trivial Pursuit: Totally 80s edition, you should just GG auction it off for said GG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sounds like they would agree...

Actually a couple days later my sister told someone we played it and was going on about how it was so much fun.

Quote:
Instead of putting pictures up of Trivial Pursuit: Totally 80s edition, you should just GG auction it off for said GG.

Thankfully iy's not mine. My sister bought it.

Now, if anyone wants to buy a regular or Star Wars edition for GG, just mail me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alot of people put alot of effort into creating and modifying images, whilst others take 55 photos of "Rupert the Bear's Tea Party Bonanza Board Game" (c.1973) and post them all.

Its a false economy as the system allows relevant images to be "approved".

I get a bit mad at these GG farmers, but at the end of the day I just have to shut up and suck it in.

I just wish there were a way that GG could be earned by recommendations automatically (say one GG per 5 recommendations, GG issued automatically from the server) or that people were more willing to give from their own pockets for images they like/used or that were helpful!

Me shutting up now!

CHRIS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.