Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Provost that came with my copy certainly has a fondness for sweets. Especially chocolate. You must have gotten a defective copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the*mad*gamer wrote:
The confusion is coupled with a false sense of euphoria that is short lived and later the player seems to have no memory of this pleasure and can’t recall the details of what caused the sensation.

And so we have to play it again - and again and again! Anything for one more hit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats exactly how I feel about Caylus, and I like games with tons of little wooden cubes. You really ought to actually post this in the caylus review forum. You could give the geekgold back to aldie as a tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, I have to question why this is not submitted as a review.

[EDIT] Well, I guess it doesn't apply anymore, since this has been moved to the appropriate thread. Still, I would like to see that all reviews to be subjected to the same processes that every other review goes through, which is to be scrutinised by the BGG community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. All the humor without (m)any of the potshots. I especially like the bit about cube confusion. Why aren't you posting your reviews as actual reviews? You may have explained it somewhere but odds are that thread/geeklist has been deleted...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Just
United States
Yorba LInda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus is like a very special box. It's got lots of levers and buttons and flashing lights and when you see it for the first time it amazes. What do the buttons do? Why does this light flash? At some point you'll tire of the of box but not for awhile. Caylus is that box for me.

Flashing Lights!!! AAAAHHHHHH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Its time these things went in as real reviews. If you find they get denied in the mod process then you can issue a complaint about legitimate reviews getting canned.

We are better served with this being under the caylus setion of the site where people will actually be able to find it.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
kracken wrote:
Again, I have to question why this is not submitted as a review.
The OP seems intent upon being a nuisance. Any geekgold earned could easily be sent to Aldie or back to whomever it came from. Also at the end of any review or session report he could put "Please do not tip for this content." If he was indeed trying to avoid generating any GG. Instead he defies the rules and community normas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Madeira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the*mad*gamer wrote:
Caylus is the Euro communities new shining star.

Come on, Caylus is yesterday's news, man.

You're late to the party; after all the prepub hype people have already beaten it to death... and yet, after a year or more it's still ranked at #3, so there must be something fun to it that 2000 BGG users get and you don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Best review of Caylus I've ever seen- "Buddy Hackett on Mt. Rushmore"..."Like a fancy car someone has built".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are 'mad' I'll give you that.

Games are most fun when you feel your brain writhing in your head trying to wrap itself around the strategy. If I wanted character development, I would read a book. Seriously, who cares about plot in a game? Sure the game may be dry, but that's actually a pretty good word for these types of games.

I suppose you could say there are two types of games.
Wet:
When it rains and ruins your day, all you can do is play games inside so you will play just about anything. The games that you would be willing to play on these games can be considered wet.

Dry:
When it's dry outside and there are lots of things you could be doing, but there are some games that are worth staying inside to play anyway. These games are considered dry.

Source: (The definitive tome of gaming knowledge and wisdom)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
"Caylus is a game with a lot of things going on at once. You have the Provost and the baliff going along the road, you have the building in the King’s castle happening, you have the prestige track and you have all the buildings along the road providing different services and functions. Some of these mechanisms are quite clever but in the end that’s all this game is just a bunch of clever mechanisms with no heart or soul."

Why is it without heart and soul? What would improve it? A fancier token for the provost? A spinner? Event cards? What's your point here?

The provost can be stopped on the road and bribed. With money. Every round.

If you like, maybe you could have the points leader put on a Burger King hat at every castle scoring and be in charge of distributing points and favors in a booming voice.

I respectfully submit that this is not actually a review, and is instead a rant. It wouldn't have passed GeekMod and shouldn't have been moved to this forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Roberts
United States
Fairbanks
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people just don't find strategic thinking fun, they need the special effects to keep them happy. I'm glad that Caylus makes you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen wrote:
You are 'mad' I'll give you that.

Games are most fun when you feel your brain writhing in your head trying to wrap itself around the strategy.

For you maybe....
for me...

Only if a strategy really exists. This game (along with goa and a few others) give the illusion of strategy even though they are nearly 100% tactical. Sure there is a lot going on, but most of it is a distraction, and since its all laid bare in front of you all you need to do is take the time to work out what will be the best scoring option and take it.

you could take caylus and make it a total abstract game and it would work (or not work) just the same. Oh wait.. they did this back in 1967 its called Bazaar.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is a review now huh? Not much of one, but one nonetheless I suppose.

You know, some people like to play games as they would a puzzle. They need to figure it out, solve the problem. Not every game is suppossed to have "character development." Just like not every game has to be boring and pointless like Dugeonquest/Heroquest/Runebound and games like those where everything comes down to being something your not and rolling a die for no reason.

See what I mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
malloc wrote:
you could take caylus and make it a total abstract game and it would work (or not work) just the same. Oh wait.. they did this back in 1967 its called Bazaar.

You can do this to all games including the supposedly heavy/thick themed like Fury of Dracula, Axis & Allies, Survive, Runebound, Hersocape, D&D Miniatures, Starfleet Battles etc. The actual game won't change a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with the review, but at LEAST it's in the right location. Although, I suspect that has more to do with the BGG admins...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like a review to me, so I moved it to the Caylus review section. It's a pretty biased review, but what the heck, it's still a review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is as much a review as any other. It gives a description of what the game is about and an opinion on its quality. Is that so different from your average review?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the*mad*gamer wrote:
Some of these mechanisms are quite clever but in the end that’s all this game is just a bunch of clever mechanisms with no heart or soul.

One of these days I want someone to explain what they mean when they say a game has no "soul". As far as I can tell it means "I didn't like the game but can't quite explain why, yet I feel compelled to justify my lack of enjoyment."

Quote:
Same with Caylus, it is a game that just doesn’t move you.

Incorrect. It's a game that doesn't move you.

Quote:
For example, let’s say the Provost looked similar to Hagred in the “Harry Potter” movies and he had a weakness for sweets, perhaps he could be stopped along the road and bribed by a food cube?

And bribing him with food would be more fun than bribing him with deniers why?

Quote:
I realize the design philosophy of Euro’s is different. Those designers like to come up with a clever mechanism and then paste on a theme. This is Knizia’s calling card! But on the whole it doesn’t work.

So Euros as a whole don't work? Or this approach didn't work in Caylus?

Quote:
Cube Confusion---A dazed and confused state of mind a Euro game player experiences while endlessly pushing around colored cubes on a board. The confusion is coupled with a false sense of euphoria that is short lived and later the player seems to have no memory of this pleasure and can’t recall the details of what caused the sensation.

How on earth can a sense of euphoria be false? It's like telling someone "You may think you're having fun, but you're really not."

Seriously, It's fine if you don't like the game - many people don't, and it sure isn't for everyone. However, reading your review I can't come up with solid one reason why you didn't like it. I'd rather you say "For whatever reason this game didn't grab me," rather than citing pseudo-reasons like "it doesn't have heart and soul" and tossing off amusing, yet ultimately empty, comparisons to Buddy Hackett and fancy cars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we are going to praise reviewers who toss around the empty phrases like "clever", "tense decisions", and "gamers game" I think we can at least tolerate the guy who puts Buddy Hackett on Mt. Rushmore. It's his review, let him have his opinion.

Of course I disagree with his assessment of the Caylus. I think it's fun managing my cubes and planning where to send my minions. I also agree with Jeff: why is bribing the provost not thematic but offering Hagrid some Haggis OK?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzix wrote:
If we are going to praise reviewers who toss around the empty phrases like "clever", "tense decisions", and "gamers game" I think we can at least tolerate the guy who puts Buddy Hackett on Mt. Rushmore. It's his review, let him have his opinion.

He is, of course, free to have his opinion. I just felt that there was an awful lot of writing about how bad the game is with nothing to explain why it was bad. It could have been a lot shorter and told me just as much - he didn't like it.

Also, all of those phrases you mentioned do have meanings. Clever is when a game accomplishes a result in an unexpected, yet simple, way. Tense decisions are when you have several choices, all of which are attractive yet mutually exclusive. A gamer's game is usually considered a game that has such depth that it requires several plays to grasp its' strategies/tactics.

Now, someone tell me how to determine if a game has "heart" or "soul".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:

I think you can tell if you put the game in front of a cabbage patch doll, the game that has a soul will be devoured, while the game without a soul will just sit there unmolested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:

Clever is when a game accomplishes a result in an unexpected, yet simple, way.

I accept that definition but I see the word being used arbitrarily in reviews (often paired with the word "elegant") as a way make the review sound "classy".

Quote:
Tense decisions are when you have several choices, all of which are attractive yet mutually exclusive.

Any game worth playing should have this quality, otherwise why bother? If I have only one decision to make from a choice of one or if I can do everything that I want then I'm not really playing a game. It's a term that could be used in a review of virtually every game on the 'geek except for some kids games. The use of this term in a review accomplishes the same effect as "clever": to make the review sound classy.

Quote:
A gamer's game is usually considered a game that has such depth that it requires several plays to grasp its' strategies/tactics.

I accept this definition but ... again it can be used to describe a myriad of games not just a few select Euros. It's another buzzword used in a review in an attempt to establish the reviewer's credibility.

Quote:

I'm stumped on that as well. I guess I can take the cop-out: "I know soul when I see it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree most of the above, though I would add that a good review would back up the terms above with examples. If they just toss out the terms without justification then, yes, they are shoddy reviews.

Any review should back opinions up with some sort of real information - this one had none at all. After reading it I have have no idea how the game is played, how you win, how long it is, how many players it supports, what kinds of decisions must be made, if there is any down time, the quality of the components, how much it costs, or, again and most importantly, WHY THE REVIEWER DIDN'T CARE FOR IT. It's not just that he didn't back up his amusing metaphors. He didn't give any information at all anywhere in his review. He mentions the bailiff a couple times, but gives no info on how he works. He mentions prestige and favor without mentioning how you gain them or what they do.

So, sure, many positive reviews are shoddy and toss terms about without backing them up. Most of them, however, give some useful information. This one does not. Even worse, it appears he tried to skip the usual review vetting process and sneak it into another category.

PS: Regarding tense decisions, I don't agree. Chess is often not full of tense decisions, for example. Often you have no idea WHAT move might help you. In many games the challenge is not to choose from several equally and obviously attractive options, but to determine which of your many options actually are attractive in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.