United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
I picked up BattleLore last night and didn't have the time to thoroughly go through the game and examine everything before turning in for the night, but I did have a few minor, miniscule complaints which might be better summed up as wishes.

Before any complaining, I wanted to say how cool the game looks. The rulebook seems very thorough and components are really top notch. The modifications to the C&C system seem like they will fit the era/genre perfectly! I am so psyched I get to try it out tonight!

First, the game does not come with a manifest of the pieces included. One of the things I have always done when there are bunches of looses pieces in a game is sort them and check to make sure it is complete. There is a pseudo checklist of which miniatures should be included if it can be assumed that units/banner bearers on page indicate the complete manifest of units included in the game, and that the loose miniatures could be combined with the banner bearers to make complete units without having any leftover figures.

I had the time to check on my cavalry, goblins, and dwarves and the theory held up, except for the normal goblins where I had two extra figures. I'm now wondering if I was shorted on any figures or any of the tiles/counters and hope I have the time to count things tonight. It seems like it would have been easy to list the components somewhere in the rulebook. Maybe we'll see a listing on the website in the future?

Second, is I wish it had come in a bigger box. I can't believe I'm saying this because I have been pining for smaller boxes. I traded my copy of Durch die Wüste because the new FFG box is so much smaller and more portable. When I went to close the game after looking through the contents and counting the miniatures which I counted, I couldn't get the box to close all the way because the rule book and one of the trays both extend over the top of the bottom half of the box.

We know the game is going to have expansions, which include single miniatures which will need to be put in a box to keep with the game. Why is the box so tightly packed that some of the miniatures in just about every set end up warped? Memoir '44 was tightly packed, but not so much that the components wouldn't go back in the box with minimal effort. My thought on this is the square footprint of the box is something the research at DoW has shown as being an important facing to keep for marketing or brand recognition. I would have made the box deeper if that is the case.

The really funny (to me) thing is I put the BattleLore box on top of the Battle Cry box last night and thought that the Hasbro/AH box would have been perfect for BattleLore because the room available for expansions. On the other hand who doesn't think that Battle Cry could have easily been packed in a much smaller box which would have had much less wasted space.

Finally, and probably the complaint least-likely to garner any sympathy or agreement from anyone, I wish the game came with blocks instead of miniatures. I know miniatures are an easier selling point to the masses, but the blocks in Commands & Colors: Ancients are really a lot easier to move on the board and easier to store in the box. Miniatures are just cool, but they are such a pain to store without worrying about them getting warped or bent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Think long term storage when you think of Battlelore and what you are going to do when more creatures and armies are added. For myself I have gone out and purchased two small plastic Rubbermaid tubs. My plastic minis from Battlelore will be stored in ziplock bags in the Rubbermaid tubs. My plan is to store the regular pieces in one tub and creatures like the Earth Elemental and Hill Giant in the other. The main Battlelore box will store the gameboard, tokens, rules, dice and terrain tiles.

By taking this approach I now have plenty of room for future expansions. It's basically the same sort of thing I use for Memoir '44 and it works great. Easy to haul around for game nights and no cramming tons of stuff back into a box barely big enough to hold it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian,

For those of us who don't know what "Rubbermaid" tubs are, a picture would be worth a thousand words.

Thanks and regards,

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
Brian,

For those of us who don't know what "Rubbermaid" tubs are, a picture would be worth a thousand words.

Thanks and regards,

Jim

He's just referring to a large, plastic bin that seals like the smaller plastic containers you store leftover food in for refridgeration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
I went ahead and separated the miniatures and put them in Ziploc bags.

All human banners went into one, while human pennants went in another. Then I took the Goblins and put them in one, the Dwarves in one. All sword-toting non-flag units went into one, all archers into another, same with the cavalry. Critters got their own bag. Eight or more bags, but it all fits nicely in the box.

Any further expansions will find me doing as Brian suggests with the small containers/tubs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a thread on the DoW forums regarding components.

http://www.daysofwonder.com/index.php?t=msg&th=9052&start=0&...

Game comes with 2 extra Goblins for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Brychel
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that tackle boxes work great for storing game components in. Both Target and Wal-Mart carry three different sizes to store various pieces in.

For Memoir 44' I used the smallest size for each color of army (fits perfectly) and the expansions. And most of the slots are adjustable to fit various sized units.

I use the boxes for all my games, keeps thing very tidy and you can find the pieces when you need to. I keep a supply in stock at home because we all know we are suckers for a new cool game.

My buddy uses other types of tackle boxes for his Heroscape Figures and it really works well.

I have also noticed some cool craft boxes at Hobby Lobby that would be great for figure storage.

By the way my Battlelore is on the way but I can't open it till Christmas!!!!

Green with envy....... Mattgoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
bravhart007 wrote:
I have also noticed some cool craft boxes at Hobby Lobby that would be great for figure storage.

Plano makes all kinds of tackle/tool boxes in many different configurations that work great for storing game figures, pieces, assorted junk. There are some other companies out there who also make good storage items.
Quote:
By the way my Battlelore is on the way but I can't open it till Christmas!!!!

I should play it at least once tonight, maybe a couple of times tomorrow, and then again on Saturday several times. Life is good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Brychel
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
I should play it at least once tonight, maybe a couple of times tomorrow, and then again on Saturday several times. Life is good...

Hey now that is just mean!!!! Wanna make me crycry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do find it curious that DoW went so far as to have the banner bearers individually nestled into slots on a blister (which protected them pretty well--not perfectly, but pretty well) but then "threw" the stndard figures into this big lump in the middle of the box. The best ones were easy enough to get back into shape, thanks to the hot/cold-water treatment, but I do sort of wonder what the "average" consumer would do if he or she picked this up and found 10, 12, 15, 20 figures bent, some almost completely squished.

Anyway, DoW's been clear about that issue and very helpful in showing how to fix it. Seems like maybe another smallish effort would've prevented it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a picture of how I store Memoir '44. Inside the storage container you can see the terrain tiles there on the left in their ziplock freezer bag inside. Those are the German trooops on the right that you can just make out in their bag (I have 3 sets of German and American minis for the game). All the plastic playing pieces and terrain tiles are sorted in ziplocks in that storage container. The rules, playing boards, cards, dice and such are in the Memoir '44 box.

I plan to use a similar storage for Battlelore with two containers. One for armies and one for creatures expansions like the Earth Elemental. I should have plenty of room in the two containers I've gotten for Battlelore for quite a few expansions.

oneilljgf wrote:
Brian,

Thanks and regards,

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.