Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Everton
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read a lot of discussion about action 5 - shrimp movement, but I still have a couple questions.

1) I thought I read somewhere you can't move a shrimp from one board to another -- you have to remove it with action 5, and replace it using action 4 (action 4 only allowed once per turn). Now I can't find where I read that. Is that true? Can shrimp jump boards using action 5 or not?

2) Although lots has been said about how many times you can move, not much has been said about what's a legal shrimp move. Do shrimp need to take into account other shrimp when they move? Is it possible to corner an opponents shrimp with a couple your own so all the poor fella can do is stay put, or be removed? I really don't think so. Since nothing is mentioned, I assume anywhere on the board not already occupied by another shrimp is fair game. The adjacent squares guarded by a shrimp are guarded against other-coral attacks -- not other shrimp passing by, right? Is that how others view it? Maybe I'm getting the shrimp confused with those territorial crabs on finding nemo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No. You can take a shrimp off a board as an action in one turn, and then put it on another board on your next turn.

2) You can pretty much put a shrimp anywhere during your turn (except on another players coral) but at the end of your turn if the shrimp isn't on a legal coral space, it is removed off the board.

I've never heard of blocking shrimp movement ... an interesting idea, but my take on it is that the shrimp can move anywhere on the board and doesn't have to travel in a linear fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
nomad001 wrote:
1) No. You can take a shrimp off a board as an action in one turn, and then put it on another board on your next turn.

??? Where does it say that shrimps cannot jump rocks? The rules state that you can move the fella to a) a different polyp on the same coral; b) a polyp on a different coral; c) a bare rock space; d) off the board and behind your screen. As far as I could tell, nowhere is it said that b) and c) are subject to being on the same board, therefore, you can have them jump boards in one and the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That was my understanding. Shrimp can pretty much go nuts during your turn, the only caveat is that if they are not placed on a board/reef by the end of your turn then they return to behind your screen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Everton
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm settled on #2. I don't think the shrimp care about eachother aside from never resting on the same coral as far as movement is concerned. I think they're markers, like Drew described.

#1 isn't really clear to me yet

No rock-jumping as part of action 5: Mark read it that way somewhere too, apparently. (remove it with 5, place on another rock with 4, but 4 is limited to once per turn -- basically curbing rock-rock movement) Do you know where, Mark? Some more reasoning to this effect: If the opposite were true (rock jumping allowed) the only reason I can imagine removing a shrimp is if you had to because there was no coral for him to sit on at the end of your turn. But if he can jump rocks, what are the chances of there being no place for him to end the turn? It seems reasonable for this rule to exist. I just can't figure out where I read it.

Rock-jumping as part of action 5: Looking at the rules today, all I could see what what Maarten stated.

It's a reasonable rule and all, but if it's mentioned nowhere in the rules, I have to side with Maarten. Anybody know where Mark and I got this idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Perhaps by hasty extension of the rule that there can not be more than 2 of your shrimp on any given rock at any one time? It would take a bit of 'creative reasoning' (as the saying goes), but I've been guilty of worse.

By the way, may I recommend my own Beginner's Guide as an alternative to the rules in case you find the latter a bit obscure at times? You can find it in the files section---pick version 1.1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Everton
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
By the way, may I recommend my own Beginner's Guide as an alternative to the rules in case you find the latter a bit obscure at times? You can find it in the files section---pick version 1.1.
I've read it twice. It was a big help. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.