Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Wai-kit FUNG
Hong Kong
Mongkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The resource nullification actually does not happen statically on the tiles in the same column or row with a dragon. It does occur only when you do the scoring per row, or per column. In other words, ONLY WHEN you are doing a scoring on a row/col containing a dragon, the positive values on resource tiles of this row/col are nullified. Scoring of other rows / columns are not affected by the dragon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prompted by your post, I checked in detail. The rules and even the example two columns and rows workings don't clarify. For completeness, I worked through the entire example on the back page using the target total scores specified inside the rules and all four combinations of assumptions:

Gold:
Doubles each tile in its row and column? (ie so the tiles are still doubled even when scoring other rows and columns with those tiles in them)
or
doubles the total of the row and column it's in?

Dragon:
Nullfies each resource tile (ie affecting scoring other rows and columns)
or
nullifies the resources only when scoring the row and column it's in?

And the answer is indeed that the Dragon and Gold tiles only affect the totals of the row and column they are in, rather than affecting the tiles in the row and column they are in.

We have been playing incorrectly. I will adjust my review article accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Score as you Go" variant suggests this is the case as well.

It tells you to score rows and columns as soon as they are complete. If dragons and gold mines modified the value of tiles as opposed to modifying the values of a single row and column, you wouldn't be able to score a row or column once complete because it's value could change.

If these tiles only effect the rows and columns they are played in and NOT individual tiles in the rows and columns, Score as You Go works fine (and is in fact preferred, it's far less tedious than scoring it all at the end)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.