Popular Tags: [View All]
Thom Denholm
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have recently beta tested this variant using Cyberboard with a small group, and now I would like to beta test it with a full game. Note this is Civilization, not Advanced Civilization.

All standard rules are followed up to the trading session, which works this way:

After trade cards have been acquired, player may twice "cash in" trade cards at face value (i.e. 3 salt and 1 grain are valued at 13 - 3+3+3+4) and "buy" picks from any trade pile from 1 up to their number of cities. Cost of each pick is also face value. Cards "cashed in" are placed back in the draw tray. This happens twice - once through in AST order, then once through in inverse AST order.

During the second pass, nations should "buy" civilization advancements also, since this is normally done in inverse AST order.

Cards later "spent" on civ cards are placed on the discard pile. Calamity cards start the game on the discard pile also, so once a given pile is emptied the first time, they will be "shuffled in" and can appear anytime. All calamity cards are red-backed and non-tradeable. For Epidemic (6) and Piracy (9), one nation will be chosen randomly among those who "cashed in" trade cards to buy draws. That nation is the one that passed the calamity, per the rules.

I recommend using the Civilization Expansion Trade Cards set
( http://boardgamegeek.com/game/11568 ). If this is not used, it's too easy for a player to collect all the salt, all the grain, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. I don't play Civ anymore, only AdvCiv and even then not as often as I'd like, but I would be interested to see how this impacts the game. Does it speed it up or slow it down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Denholm
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it face-to-face yet, but for play by email it speeds things up considerably. This should work for Advanced Civ also - there are more calamities, but a few more commodities also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.