Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wilbert Ng
Philippines
Mandaluyong
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are there 2 influence cards and 5 Character cards that have similar artwork in this set (Buka Invasion)? Because of this, I felt kinda cheated in buying the "Buka Invasion" set.

I just have "The Mimix" and "The Khind" expansions, and they all have different card art. Aside from the gameplay, another thing I like about Blue Moon is the unique graphics for each of the cards in a pre-constructed deck and their extra-large size which nicely complement the artwork. So the similar artwork for 7 of the 31 cards spoiled my high expectation with this set.

INFLUENCE CARDS w/ SIMILAR ART:
Sea Devil - Ship Capacity 3
Sea Falcon - Ship Capacity 2

CHARACTER CARDS w/ SIMILAR ART:
B.P. Loyalty
B.P. Ferocity
B.P. Unity
B.P. Bravery
B.P. Mystery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was kind of bummed by that, too. I like the Buka art and I wish more of it was unique. However it's not likely to stop me from buying it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brel wrote:
Why are there 2 influence cards and 5 Character cards that have similar artwork in this set (Buka Invasion)?

Actually there's a third ship, the promotional card Seemond (Sea Moon) with the same art.

As for why - well, there is a reason for each ... but I'm not at liberty to tell you what. Oddly enough one reason is the mirror image of the other.

Quote:
Because of this, I felt kinda cheated in buying the "Buka Invasion" set.

Well, that's your prerogative. But, although it's not the first time I've heard this complaint, I still don't think it's reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with the original poster, except for the euphemism. The art is not similar, it's the SAME!

Quote:
As for why - well, there is a reason for each ... but I'm not at liberty to tell you what.

Well, let me guess... To reduce costs? Seriously, I cannot think of any other reason to justify that. Of course, I can see that the five character cards with the same art form a group, but why would they need to have the same art? Maybe the text says something about using cards with the same art together, but that surely could have been achieved some other way, like the "first word" rule for the Mimix pairs. Sorry, but that is sooo lame!!!

A great thing about "Blue Moon" was that each card had unique art. Now that has been spoiled. I'm also disappointed and feel cheated, be it reasonable or not. And that may actually stop me from buying this set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They also could've pulled a "Lost Cities" trick and took a detailed section of the overall artwork for each card. The image that is used on five cards does have five figures on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
I totally agree with the original poster, except for the euphemism. The art is not similar, it's the SAME!

Obviously.

Quote:
Well, let me guess... To reduce costs? Seriously, I cannot think of any other reason to justify that.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

After all, there are four ships, and only three of them are the same. If cost were the only reason, why not make them all the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chistopher, obviously I know the reason behind this is not to reduce costs. Afterall, you are cutting off half a dozen cards from a total of 31. I don't really think the small difference in the artist's check would have a big impact on costs.

However, I do think that whatever reason it is, it could have been made another way, be it with words or icons, with no need to have the same art repeated on several cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Chistopher, obviously I know the reason behind this is not to reduce costs.

However I suspect the cost saving was viewed as a bonus. Every little helps.

Quote:
However, I do think that whatever reason it is, it could have been made another way, be it with words or icons, with no need to have the same art repeated on several cards.

Not knowing anything about the practicalities, I think that having the same five masks but rotating them in each picture would have been a good idea. But no one thought of it (as far as I know). Certainly I didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
As for why - well, there is a reason for each ... but I'm not at liberty to tell you what. Oddly enough one reason is the mirror image of the other.

Well well, the last word that was spoke on the subject was that the Buka were the end of the road for the Blue Moon story. Dare we azurolunophiles cling to some little hope that there are other ships on the horizon? Travelers from phar, phar away, perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Ng
Philippines
Mandaluyong
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Actually there's a third ship, the promotional card Seemond (Sea Moon) with the same art.

hmm... ok, there is another ship with the same art. But I don't actually mind this that much coz its a promotional card. But still, having cards with similar art tends to make me feel like I'm just using dummy/proxy cards. It somehow lessened the impact of the expansion for me. I consider Blue Moon to be a high quality game and is very different from most CCGs in the ff. major points:

#1 It's Not Collectible
Get to save more by avoiding blind purchase of cards.

#2 Game Balance is Highly Favored
Most of the expansion decks have a strong feel that they are very balanced with each other.

#3 Unique Art
The initial expansion decks tend to focus on the unique artwork for each cards.

I compared the game to CCGs, as I believe the non-collectability aspect is one of the major reasons I switched to Blue Moon (vs. Magic).

Dearlove wrote:

Dearlove wrote:
Well, that's your prerogative. But, although it's not the first time I've heard this complaint, I still don't think it's reasonable.

As of the moment, I feel having similar art for the cards is quite disappointing and until I know the truth or the "whys" it will be hard for me to feel differently. I hope the decision to seemingly veer away from one of the major points which makes the Blue Moon game so great for me is very reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another con to the dupe art is that when you have multiple of the same art in your hand you can put down the wrong one and mess up your play.

I'm willing to believe that cost wasn't a driver, just a coincidence, but I think that time must have been a factor. ie. the people are all by one artist, and he just didnt have time to do individual art for all the cards, this was considered the least invasive way to dupe the art and get the deck out on schedule.

I also thought of the lost cities methodology for the pirates cards. would have been great. Can I be a beta tester on the next deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Ng
Philippines
Mandaluyong
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I think the "Lost Cities" method of duplicate artwork would have worked in the Buka Invasion as well if time is concerned. If anyone have noticed, the artwork for "Dancer of Dawn" and "Dancer of Dusk" cards in "The Mimix" expansion deck is in reality, also one complete arwork. The two cards can be set side-by-side and combined to form one whole image. So I think the Blue Moon development team already know this style of separating parts of an image into several cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brel wrote:
the artwork for "Dancer of Dawn" and "Dancer of Dusk" cards in "The Mimix" expansion deck is in reality, also one complete arwork.

Some of the Khind artwork can also be combined. (I don't have it hand to check, but from memory, most but not all of the "No" gang.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
the clumsy rules for this deck

I'm may be going to regret this, but ...

- Ships, bluffing, or both?

- The basic concept(s), or specific details?

Quote:
Definatly this is the last deck i'd recommend people pick up.

Before or after E&I depends on how you want to play. But it is aimed particularly at people who want more, so if asked for a suggested buying order I'd also put it last of the 9 people decks (although not for quite the same reasons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
there are exceptions to the rules (like bluffs don't count against dragon attraction.)

Unfortunately we needed this.

Suppose you have six cards, but two are bluff cards, and I can't match your power. Then without the exception I have a no risk call of your bluff. (Don't call, lose two dragons. Call, if fail then lose one dragon but reduce you so I only lose one more dragon. And I might win.) Not a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bluffing in "Blue Moon"?! Bah!, now I know I will not buy this deck. And that is really annoying to my completist side. But I had already resigned myself, as I'm absolutely not into deck building and don't intend to buy the related expansions. I still plan to have all the main races, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a really fun deck would be one wherin gang and pair icons are listed on the same cards, but the pairs are from different gangs.

There is a dragon themed fan made deck that is a proof of concept for this style and its fun, if a little unfinished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Ng
Philippines
Mandaluyong
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the combination of the new Ships and Bluff abilities is ok for me. It gave more variety and flavor to the game. I just hope the included rules could have been explained more throughly/clearly just like those in the Basic Set and examples were given. I found the rules included in this deck quite confusing and I had to re-read it a couple of times for it to sink in.

I just played The Buka Invasion deck twice. Once against The Mimix deck which I won and the other against The Khind deck. I lost against the latter. I am hoping to play The Buka Invasion deck more so I can get the hang of it. I am sure some rule questions will come up later on.

I now also have the Aqua deck. I played it once vs. the Buka Invasion and I won. Our game was pretty aggressive and it seems both decks are really really fast. In the end I won (Aqua) that game because of the card that reshuffles your discard pile to your draw pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brel wrote:
I just hope the included rules could have been explained more throughly/clearly just like those in the Basic Set and examples were given. I found the rules included in this deck quite confusing and I had to re-read it a couple of times for it to sink in.

Unfortunately, there is a constraint on the size of a rulesheet that will fit in a box.

I don't know if the FAQ, which contains many Buka examples, would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
I'm absolutely not into deck building and don't intend to buy the related expansions.

If you are referring to Emissaries and Inquisitors, the point of the emissaries is to provide an option for those who don't want to deck build. Pick a deck (from 8), add three new cards for that people, pick an emissary, add the seven listed cards, play. You can make both choices (of 8 and 4) randomly if you want.

Doing this you'll use 28 of the 30 cards in each E&I deck. The four inquisitors will just be decorative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the artist die halfway through the job? gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you are referring to Emissaries and Inquisitors, the point of the emissaries is to provide an option for those who don't want to deck build.

That's very good to know. So, maybe I will consider them after I buy all the main races. But I'm doing that at a slow pace, one by one, and unfortunately I play "Blue Moon" much less often than I would like to.

By the way, while you are around... I was wondering if there would still be another expansion in the lines of the Buka. I just noticed that one of the building descriptions in "Blue Moon City" mentions the Phar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
I was wondering if there would still be another expansion in the lines of the Buka.

The most current public statement from Kosmos is in the FAQ list. (I'd have to look it up to get it precisely.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the duplicate art. I bought the set because I wanted more Blue Moon, and that's what I got. I wasn't shopping for pretty art (otherwise I should really drop Flit, Mimix and Khind from my collection as well). I found both ships and bluffing interesting. Buka are a fun deck to play, I think, and I'm looking forward to exploring it more. So, I suppose, before complaining about the art, try actually playing the deck - that's what it's for. It's a good one, too, but I wouldn't recommend it to Blue Moon novices either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.