Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marion Jensen
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I had the opportunity to play this game last night, I thought I'd throw up a quick review.

I'm am an instructional designer by trade. That means I've studied ways people learn, and studied the best ways to instruct people. I'm always on the lookout for different ways to 'teach' people. Simulations are a great way to instruct people, and games are (can be?) a type of simulation. So because of this, games are often a very effective way to instruct.

That being said, a game can be more educational than fun, or more fun than educational. Or it can be a happy medium. World of Warcraft (the video game) is more fun than educational (there are some great things you can learn from the game), and the Reader Rabbit series (video game) are more educational than fun. Zoo tycoon, Civilization, and others (again, video games) strike a nice balance between the two.

So, why am I blathering on and on about video games when this is a board game review? Well, because this particular board game falls into the 'more educational than fun' category. While there are decisions that must be made, and better decisions will result in a better chance of winning, the simple fact of the matter is that there is so much luck to the game that the decisions are pretty much pointless.

The game involves you rolling a die and landing on different 'events'. You may land on an 'opportunity' space that allows you to buy stock or real estate. You may land on a 'doodad' space that will require you to pay money. Or you may land on a 'Market' space that will affect you or anybody else holding the stock, real estate, or opportunity in question.

In our game, I had yet been able to 'do an opportunity', before somebody bought stock at a dollar a share, and then the next turn sold it for $50 a share. They could do this just based on the luck of the draw. They had 1.6 million dollars and I had 2,000. The end result being that the 'fun factor' of the game falls somewhere in between Monopoly and The Farming game, both of them heavily reliant on luck or dice rolls. The 'fun factor' of the game rates about a 1.5.

But if you are serious about investing, the game actually does a great job of boiling down the key concepts of investing. You get a good idea of the basics of cash flow, and what you need to do to 'get out of the rat race'. For educational purposes, I'd give it a 6.5.

So, long story short. 6.5 + 1.5 / 2 = 4. If you go into the game wanting to learn some good concepts of investing, you'll be pleased. If you go into it wanting a fun time, you might be discouraged.

If you want to play a good economic style game, I would instead steer you toward acquire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anh Tuan Nguyen
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Dear Firemeboy

I am Nguyen Anh Tuan.
I'm from Vietnam.
After read RichDad PoorDad, i am seeking for the game. But it too expensive for me ( as you know my income is just about 1200USD per year )
Through the net, I know that you have Cash Flow game for a long time.
May I ask for it !
If is possible - that may be greatest thing !
Thank you in advance !

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Nguyen Anh Tuan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
hungryforgame wrote:
Dear Firemeboy...

Give him the game, man! He's hungry for the game!

So hungry, if fact that it looks like the only reason he registered was to ask for a free copy of Cashflow 101. Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion Jensen
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alas, the game is not mine. I played a friends copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Firemeboy wrote:
the simple fact of the matter is that there is so much luck to the game that the decisions are pretty much pointless.

Sure this is an old review... but I have to vent. This is what sums up my recent experience playing the game.

Looking at the silver lining, the first part of the game (the rat race) does give you a taste as to how some key investment principles work. The second part of the game is completely pointless (even when just looking at it as a teaching tool), and could easily trim 1hr off of this unnecessarily long game.

Maybe I've been jaded by playing euros where balance, proper mechanics, and real strategy are key.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.