Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Lewis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Page 9 of the rulebook, Private Herzog is in hex J9 (with a building on one level of hill). In the Examples of Line of Sight (LOS) # A states that "Herzog can not see Borbe in K6 past the intervening Woods at the same elevation."

Based on this example, the building in that hex (J9) doesn't change any elevation for the unit occupying that hex. Does this assume that all buildings are one level and do not have any affect on the unit in the hex. But a unit can "hide" behind a building in a blind hex I think.

Am I reading that correctly? In my mind, a unit can go upstairs to look out the bedroom window to get a clear shot over the trees but I can see how multi-level building rules would be too fiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Working from memory, I think that building is level one, (ground level), with no upstairs. So any higher hex between it and the target, like the woods, would block LOS.

You'd think I wouldn't have to edit an answer this short 2 times....but then you'd be wrong lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Does this assume that all buildings are one level and do not have any affect on the unit in the hex.

Correct, at least for LOS purposes. A building in a hex WILL provide you with some great Cover.

Quote:
But a unit can "hide" behind a building in a blind hex I think.

If the units are on the same level, being in a hex behind a building will block that LOS infinitum. If one of those units is higher than the building (or woods)than the building (or woods) creates a single "shadowed" blind hex behind it.

Quote:
In my mind, a unit can go upstairs to look out the bedroom window to get a clear shot over the trees

That would either be a very tall building or some very short trees. cool

Quote:
but I can see how multi-level building rules would be too fiddly.

Indeed: This is the main reason why they were cut early on in development. A more meatier presentation like ASL is the place to go for detailed multi-story building rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The key paragraphs to understand are T88 and the second box of T88.5.

Open ground is level 0.

Hills - and only hills - have elevation.

A level of elevation is taller than an obstacle and an obstacle is taller than a hindrance.

A unit on a hill is above any terrain in a hex at lower elevation.

Key sentence: a hill hex functions as any other ground level hex except as modified (in the rules below).

That last bit tells you that - unless modified otherwise - any hex operates like a ground level hex. One modification is "elevation" - but this only applies to hills, not to any other kind of terrain (such as buildings). Therefore - a unit in any hex has the elevation of the "hill level" (could be 0 or more) - but not because of the terrain in the hex (no matter what kind of terrain it is).

The units are therefore always at the base level of the specified elevation of that hex. They don't climb into the trees, are not on the second floor or on the roof.

This set of assumptions in the design vastly simplifies the Line of Sight model.

Chad, Kai, if I've gotten off track in this, please correct me.

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Chad, Kai, if I've gotten off track in this, please correct me.

No, that's pretty much correct, John.

I owe you a cookie. kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.