Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(FYI the BGG names below have been changed to protect the innocent).

There is an interesting geeklist right now on BGG records. One record, for most owned games, absolutely astounded me (SithWyrm's 2922 games) and promted me to check out his geek page.

Then I noticed something interesting that made me scratch my head and say, "hmmm."

For all of SithWyrm's games, his submissions to BGG, while respectable, aren't overwhelming. In fact, the zero reviews, files, and session reports, combined with 74 images uploaded, wouldn't seem to generate the 437.34 geekgold he has earned and used to purchase badges, avatars, etc.

Looking at his geekgold income, I see the Luna Night recently gave him a gift of 125 gg. Oh, ok, makes sense, Luna Night must be a big BGG content contributor and a friend of SithWyrms, right?

But wait, Luna Night somehow has earned 857.92 gg and submitted, 1 review, 4 session reports, 1 file, and no images. But he did receive a number of large gg gifts, including a recent one from scarybuccaneer. Ok, so scarybuccaneer must be the large BGG content contributor. But no, he just received a gift from GROGnads (oops forgot to change his name).

I could go on and keep tracing the gg, but I think I made my point.

Here are my questions:
1) Where does all this gg originate?
2) Why is it sloshing around?
3) Third, and most importantly, how to I get in on this?

Haha! I've uncovered a vast geekgold conspiracy! Help me shed the light of justice on this untoward affair!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe he did a GG Auction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Often big GG contributions are payment for winning a GG auction. Did any of those folks sell a game in Geekbay? That doesn't answer where the money came from in the first place, but it might answer why it changed hands...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just don't ask Grognads. Even if he tells you, you wouldn't understand him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like regular wealth, geekgold gets concentrated in the hands of the wealthy. I've noticed the same thing you are talking about. A lot of it is from people using GG to buy and sell games. I would suspect this is how a lot of the concentrations of GG you mention came to be.

I think images should be worth .50 geekgold instead of 1 to discourage all the GG whoring and massive number of image uploads. Or maybe only give GG for the first 50 or 100 pictures on a given game.

There also needs to be some way for newbs to get a little GG to get them started. I know there are some bonuses in place for your first review, first session, etc. but when you are a newbie getting GG seems really frustrating because every game already has good reviews, 1,000,000 pictures, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hancock.tom wrote:
... because every game already has good reviews, 1,000,000 pictures, etc.

Pictures, reviews and session are not the only valuable content on BGG; There should be a way of receiving GG (and I mean new, not tips) for good, quality GeekLists and Forum Posts/Articles.

I would actually hazard the opinions that a well thought out and executed GeekList or Forum Article took more time and effort then a half a dozen image uploads, which would imply they should be worth around 6 GG (or that images are over-rewarded).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumis Dalidalisa
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The gifts that you have noticed are almost certainly sales or geek auctions. You can "create" new gg by contributing content, linking to e-bay auctions, or moderating.

There was a big influx of gg during the "representative image" goldrush. After that, BGG started offering microbadges, ad blocking, and other gg products to soak up some of this excess spending power. This seems to have been successful and the exchange rate reflecting what people pay in cash for gg has oscillated but not moved firmly in one direction.

I've also trolled through users' profiles to see how they acquired geekgold. It seems that you could once just buy it for cash directly from BGG (maybe you still can?). I'm also curious that some time ago it was possible to get more than one and more than two gg for submitting an image. I saw one example of 13 gg for an image submission. How did that work?

Finally, I'd be VERY interested in some stats from the admins in how much new geek gold is created per month or week, how much is consumed (that is, paid to bgg -- not just transfered to another user), and how big a stock of gg is out there (and how the size of the stock has changed over time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is true, I have often wondered about how to generate more geek gold.
Its hard being a newb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
The cash purchases are no doubt from the BGG hurricane relief drive when you could donate money at a $1 per 1gg exchange rate. BilboAtBagEnd, for example, donated $1000 dollars and has been a rich geek ever since.

The 13gg picture probably came from the old bounty system. A user could put up a bounty of Xgg for a review, session report, file, photo etcetera on a specific game. Other users could claim the bounty (in addition to the normal fees) by uploading what was wanted. The bounty system had its heart in the right place but was easily exploited and, after many hard feelings, was terminated.

As for the original point of this thread, I believe the term is velocity - as in the velocity of a GeekGold. For example, if 10 people in a circle all have a GeekGold in one hand and (let's say) a Magic card worth 1gg in the other, and everyone wants to buy the card from the person on their right, then everyone simply hands their 1gg to the person on their right while simultaneously giving their Magic card to the person on their left. When the dust settles, everyone has the card they want plus their 1gg.

You can, however, do the same thing with only 1gg at the table. In this case the person with the 1gg exchanges it for the card he wants from the person on his right. That person then gives the 1gg to the person on his right in exchange for that person's card, and so on and so on around the table until the last person buys a card from the first person (who had 2 during this lengthy exchange). Thus the same thing is accomplished - everyone gets the card they want and the original buyer gets his 1gg back.

This velocity of a monetary unit is actually a big deal to mints when they decide how much coin and paper currency to put into circulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
Pictures, reviews and session are not the only valuable content on BGG; There should be a way of receiving GG (and I mean new, not tips) for good, quality GeekLists and Forum Posts/Articles.

I would actually hazard the opinions that a well thought out and executed GeekList or Forum Article took more time and effort then a half a dozen image uploads, which would imply they should be worth around 6 GG (or that images are over-rewarded).

Hear, hear!

Perhaps each GL that gains a specified number of thumbs should be rewarded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
One suggestion for how to make GeekGold, and this won't work for everyone, is as follows:

- Enter your collection into BGG
- Go to the Gallery view
- If the edition of a game you own is not depicted, go to the game page, and check if it's there (and you can then mark that pic as the one for your gallery view, to help keep track)
- If it is not there, take a picture of the box, submit it and include a caption indicating what edition it is.
- Do the same thing for box contents

Obviously, if you have a small collection or don't have a digital camera, this isn't so good, but I am regularly surprised that photos of a particular edition of a game are missing, or the contents are shown but not the box cover or vice versa.

In my opinion, we don't need more pictures of cats sitting on games, but "documentary" shots of the various different editions are very useful. Including a caption indicating the edition makes it more likely to get approved, because it will be more obvious why it's distinct and valuable compared to other existing photos.

Granted, this won't get you tons and tons of GeekGold, but it can be reasonably effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gialmere wrote:
This velocity of a monetary unit is actually a big deal to mints when they decide how much coin and paper currency to put into circulation.

Sorry to nitpick, but, at least in the USA, mints don't make paper currency. That is done by the federal reserve banks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
OldestManOnMySpace wrote:
Gialmere wrote:

Sorry to nitpick, but, at least in the USA, mints don't make paper currency. That is done by the federal reserve banks.

No, Federal Reserve Banks don't do that. Mints make coins, and the US Bureau of Engraving and Printing prints the bills.

The Federal Reserve supervises and regulates banking institutions, conducts monetary policy (sets interest rates), maintains the stability of the economy, and provides financial services to governments and depository institutions. They also control the size of the money supply, but they do not do the actual printing of bills or minting of coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedude05 wrote:
This is true, I have often wondered about how to generate more geek gold.
Its hard being a newb.

I was about to give you a tip to help you out when I looked at your profile and realized you have been on this board about twice as long as me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sad right...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,
You shouldn't tie GG to thumbs because there are "thumb rings" on the geek. It would be too easy to manipulate the system if thumbs correlated to GG. I think the submission system works best.
One idea to get GG that has worked very well for me is to send game parts (Dune has done me well in this respect) to people requesting them. They will usually GG you for your effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 Geek Lists in a matter of 3 days... not bad...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.