Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan and I tried out Seismic for the first time last night. I had gotten it about a month ago but I really hadn’t had a chance to try it out before and I wanted to see if it was anything more than a simplified Carcassonne with Earthquakes.

Well, to be honest, we really didn’t find the game to be anything more than that.

The large hexes were a nice change of pace for a a tile laying game and did allow us to explore different kinds of patterns. The tiny cubes to mark which roads were ours, however, proved to be something of a disappointment. It was a struggle to make sure we didn’t lose any. I really should look for a place online where I can buy meeples in bulk.

We did play with the variant that put the Scale 6 Earthquake tile in the bottom five tiles. If we were going to play with Earthquakes, I wanted to make sure we would have Earthquakes and the big one would end the game!

In fact, every single Earthquake hit California in the game. We had three in a row during the mid-game, which devastated Bryan’s build up.

Having learned from that lesson, Bryan proceeded to make sure that he built up the row that led to my main stretch of roads so that the last quake of the game did me some serious damage. Have to remember that the next time I play.

When the rubble cleared and we stepped out to see the ruins that we laughing called a highway system, Bryan had nineteen points to my seventeen. That last Earthquake, which he made sure hit me, won him the game.

All things considered, Seismic isn’t a bad little game. I like Carcassonne better but it does play simpler and faster and I like the way the hexes look. We’ll definitely play it again and next time, I’ll just shuffle all the Earthquakes in with the six in the bottom. It might take some of the uncertainty away but it guarantees the devastation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connie Gunderson
United States
Deer Creek Mesa (Littleton)
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gnomekin wrote:
I really should look for a place online where I can buy meeples in bulk.

www.meeplepeople.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.