Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Without letting on to who my Secret Santa recipient is, let me ask this question in a general way...

What is one supposed to do when a Secret Santa recipient has only high-dollar items on their wishlist? I see that the guidelines are to stay within the $15-35 range, but my target has games that go for the following prices on Funagain (OOP, 46, 70, 60, 45, 28, 44, 46, 65, and 12). I guess I could just go with the 28, but with shipping there's little doubt that one will exceed the guideline. That leaves only the $12 item, which seems mighty puny as a gift.

Do some people just ignore the wish list and buy something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I ignored shipping when looking at the cost, or else I would have had to buy a $5 game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:

For your situation, I would. Plus, it is even more difficult and thoughtful to research through someone's games, ratings, posts, reviews, ect to find something you may personally think they would like.

Or, if you want to send the $12 game with gaming accesories that would be understandible too. There was recently a geek list about ideas for the gamer who has everything. That may help you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
I ignored shipping when looking at the cost, or else I would have had to buy a $5 game...

I wasn't sure if that meant $15 - $35 retail or online prices. Pretty significant difference. You should probably purchase whatever you're most comfortable with.

Also... when did chaddyboy become an administrator?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Faller
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with what you can afford, and if it is the cheapest in the list then throw in something fun to bump it up a bit.

Speaking for myself I went way over budget, but then I am not a poor student or starting out on a career, so it is fine for me. I also made a point of telling my Santa to basically throw the wishlist out of the window if they so desire - if it isn't in my collection then I don't have it.

Be as flexible with this as you want to be and don't beat yourself up over it - it is meant to be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Be as flexible with this as you want to be and don't beat yourself up over it - it is meant to be fun.

That's probably the best advice you'll get right there! I think the price guideline is a very rough guideline, and you could spend more or less.

Quote:

While nobody was looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto. I don't count the cost of shipping when choosing a game. I lucked out this year and got a target in the same area as me but I would hate to send something really small and cheap due to postage costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Quote:

ninja

Kudos, I reckon.

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
People use their wishlists all year round, and if there are lots of high $ items on it then your victim probably does the same as me, using it as a way to track things to keep an eye on for private use. I'm fairly confident the victim would not expect Santa to come on at the top end.

If the wishlist isn't helpful, there's bound to be something you think would be a nice gift. I'm sure you know enough about games to pick something that the victim hasn't marked, but you know will go down a treat.

Their collection, comments, forum and geeklist postings should set you on the right path.

I hope my Santa is using her brains and ignore just about anything that is on my wishlist (I said as much in my comment to make that very clear) as there is an awful lot on that list that is either too hard to get, or way pricey. I just cannot be bothered to change the entire list for Santa only and then re-instate it on the 26th for my own use.

If someone has put some thought and effort into it, that's all I'm wishing for. Anything else is a bonus. $ value not high on my wishlist, a thoughtful gift much more appreciated.

I pity the poor sucker who got lumped with me anyway. Bet someone cursed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
I was under the impression that the $15-$35 guideline was for the price before shipping.

It sounds like your target could have given you some more options, but at least there is teh $28 one. But in general, people should be aware that these wish lists are not just for secret santa--people might use them to keep track of games they intend to buy for themselves or as gifts, or to refer family members to who are stumped on what to buy that game nut. I left special instructions with my Secret Santa to ignore the games on my list that were outside the recommended price range. But then I also added a bunch of stuff that was in the price range, so they would have something to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not involved in the Secret Santa, but I believ shipping must be excluded, or else anyone shipping any distance over water would be sending LCR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd do the $12 item, and then add something that you think they'd like.

Or, just flat out ask him to add some things to his wishlist.

Randy Cox wrote:
Without letting on to who my Secret Santa recipient is, let me ask this question in a general way...

What is one supposed to do when a Secret Santa recipient has only high-dollar items on their wishlist? I see that the guidelines are to stay within the $15-35 range, but my target has games that go for the following prices on Funagain (OOP, 46, 70, 60, 45, 28, 44, 46, 65, and 12). I guess I could just go with the 28, but with shipping there's little doubt that one will exceed the guideline. That leaves only the $12 item, which seems mighty puny as a gift.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to err on the side of giving too much. I want to surprise my target by giving a bigger game or more games than they would have expected. But I don't think anyone should feel obligated to take that approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to ignore the shipping cost. The cheapest game on my targets list was about 49.99 MSRP and shipping was well over $25 for the cheapest possible postage. It would have been rough finding a suitable $10 game to pull it off. I don't think the guidelines were meant to detract from the spirit of giving and what not. I think they were just that, guidelines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wishlist isn't a particularly easy one but I can say that if somebody looked at my collection and got me something not on my wishlist but that looked like something I would enjoy, I'd be fine with that. My point is, it's the spirit of this thing that matters so if you can't match their wishlist... well then... get them something thoughful that you can afford. If they complain, they suck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
If price is an issue, I'd suggest avoiding Funagain. They're expensive. You'll get more bang for your buck at timewellspent.org, or Thoughthammer. For bigger games, you'll save $5-7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Quote:

During the great purge of December 2006 there were many BGG loyalists who stepped up to bolster the ranks of the admins in their struggle with the unruly rebels. It was during this fight that this new corps of admins truly earned their wings... or more accurately little orange and blue badges.

At least that's what my history book says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say diverge.

This is mt first year, and I researched and ordered for my target on the first day, I went for a fewer lower dollar games. And I diverged from thier list a bit. I thought it was too easy and was less personal and caring just to buy blindly off thier list. So I thought about his list and similar games that might be of interest. I didn't realize that the wish list was held up like gospel. so, hopefully I don't piss them off. But I think it was a good choice.

"there more like guildlines I'd say" (or at least hope)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'd say diverge.

I think diverging from the wishlist is kind of iffy. For example, my wish list contains all the games I want, period. If it's not on my list, it's not really something I want. I guess it all depends on how much game research your recipient does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Quote:
I'd say diverge.

I think diverging from the wishlist is kind of iffy. For example, my wish list contains all the games I want, period. If it's not on my list, it's not really something I want.

Of course THAT assumes that the targets list has been composed by similarly good research MY wishlist is indeed in the "everything I hope to have one day" dept...but as I discover new games, come across threads about others I have never heard of etc THEN I add them to the list. It is quite fair to assume that almost NO wishlist can EVER be truely complete. So I think in the spirit of SS it is quite fair to diverge from the wishlist if you can find an angle. While "a game" is in the guidelines...there is also the fun of trying to buy for a whole person...taking their bios, collection, comments etc into account. To just pick the first thing on the list you can afford seems to take a lot of the fun out for the Santa. And I am firmly of the mind that this fun is meant more for THEM than the "targets"

Merry Christmas all you beautiful Secret Santas...the only ones I still believe in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had a friend who was in a similar situation. Yea, that's right a friend. It definitely wasn't me. Well anyway, this friend decided that the best thing to do was to order a game from store in his person's country so that shipping would be cheaper and wouldn't have to cross borders, etc. My friend had hoped to spend more on a generous gift, but the bills are piling high. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I think he was "made" at BGG.CON... Probably some kind of secret ritual or initiation took place in one of the back rooms...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Quote:

I assumed it was when we were blinded by the light shining off the Golden Meeple. cool

I took $15-$35 to be a range that excluded shipping. Another assumption that it was US$.

I also agree that you should not diverge off the wishlist. If their wishlist has nothing applicable, arrange through a third party to PM them asking them the clarify or expand their wishlist temporarily for Secret Santa purposes.

My wishlist is an all year round thing with extra things added for Secret Santa. I don't expect my Secret Santa to get me Cosmic Encounter Expansion #9 or the Civilization Western Expansion Map, however I will a) not complain if they do, and more importantly b) not be removing them just for Secret Santa. I have plenty of other stuff on the list for Secret Santa purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would try a few other online retailers as funagain seems to be on the high end price wise.

I see the $15-$35 as a guide to the cost of the game/games not including postage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian laing
United States
san carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too figured the price guideline was for pre shipping, however with a target overseas its going to cost me 30$ just for shipping. on top of that my target had games that were all 30+. I ended up picking a game i thought they may like so I ended up with a 20$ game and 25$ shipping. HOpefully I got a US santa to make up for my extra cost :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.