Subject: Shipping to the UK from Europe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: uk [+] [View All]
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently the only Bricks and Mortar game store in town shut down, so I'm going to have to buy off the internet (which I've not done before). I've heard that it can be cheaper to buy online in Germany (or maybe another European country)and get them shipped than pay in pounds. Is this true?

Is there anyone who has done that before and can recommend a site -especially one that will ship cheaply or free, (because I can't read German at all and this will save me a lot of effort if someone feeling helpful can give me a quick hint where to look).

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody in Europe will ship for free. Boardgameclub ship for £5 regardless of the size of your parcel (yes, I've bought a huge parcel and was only charged a fiver) but you must buy a minimum of £50 of goods in your order.
www.boardgameclub.co.uk

Most German sellers will ship a biiiiig box for around 20 euros. The couriers or post office run a sort of weight band, that is up to a certain weight it's 20 euros, but I don't know the figures. But it's well worth buying a lot in one go, 200-300 euros will do nicely. Reckon shipping on being 10% on your order.

Adam Spielt is still the best for service. They have re-started their print catalogue as well (in german only but a useful offline reference). Their site has improved and they have excellent English. Once you give them your personal details and credit card, they keep them on file and give you a customer number. After that, you need only send them an email of what your want and they deliver VERY promptly. German only editions of games.
http://www.adam-spielt.de/

Milan Spiele is still a part-time operation and the service varies considerably with users, but his prices are very good and he has a very good range of US/English editions. You have to use Paypal, and there's a 4% paypal charge. Check out the bargain bins on both sites, lots of great games very cheap.
http://www.milan-spiele.de/index.php

Why buy from Germany? The euro is 30% cheaper than the pound. If a game costs £20 here or €20 there, you've saved £6 straight off. Which you use to buy a card game.

I can't read german either. If there's a bit of text I don't understand, I paste it into Google's translator.
http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had good service from Adam Spielt. The shipping for a recent large order was 11 Euro. You do have to do your research to work out which games come with English rules or have good translations posted here but they can work out cheaper. For example Chinesische Mauer cost me 8,25 Euro (about 5.50 GBP) - in the UK the game (as Great Wall Of China) costs 14.99 GBP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george jaycock
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't rule out buying from the USA. The current exchange rate is the best for many years, and of course you can communicate in English!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Carter
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-Tees
Cleveland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon.de have recently changed their shipping policy. Shipping to the UK is now €6 for any sized order. If you are familiar with the UK site then language should not be a problem and you can log in wih your UK details.
Playme.de also provide a great service and have a broader range of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen, I hadn't thought of trying amazon.de, good suggestion. They have Candamir for €17. By the way, look under 'Spielwaren', not 'Games'. The latter is sadly computer games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Mills
Guernsey
Vale
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Paul,

What games are you after?

Some UK shops like ours do import German games too, might be worth checking out some UK shops first just in case.
Obviously big concerns like Amazon do have an advantage when it comes to shipping though

Best wishes,

Alan

www.land-of-games.co.uk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Macher, Alhambra, and a load of fillers. All major countries seem to have a good stock of games, although I want to shop around to get the best price.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I ordered Die Macher from Amazon USA and Alhambra, Diamant, Bang!, Turn the Tide, 6 Nimmt, Geschenkt and Coloretto from Adam-spielt.de. The strong pound, weak dollar and generally cheaper German games in Germany are helping.

Thanks for the advice.

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.