Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Stone Age: The Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: purchasing card with 3 decorations that gives more decorations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
carol

COLUMBUS
Ohio
msg tools
I say one must have 6 decorations at the start to get 2 cards ; opponent says buying one that gives a decoration (thereby adding to his total) lets them use it right away to buy 2nd card
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Without a shadow of doubt, I would say that your opponent is correct.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parisian Dreams
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
Welcome to the Dreamlands
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above poster. It matters in SA how you collect your 'goods'. If I need stone for something and am getting a civ card that gives me stone, I'll 'pay' for that card first, use the stone I just received to pay for, ie. a hut. Also works out well when you can't use the stone space. It's the same with tools. You place a worker for a tool, collect that first, then you can use it to add to your dice rolls for other resources.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP is referring to a single specific space, not two sequential actions. The English rules say: "When a player buys a card from this space, he may pay 3 additional decorations..." It's not as simple as you make it out to be. In fact, I'm inclined to agree with the OP's interpretation (that you must have six decorations before you resolve the space in order to take two cards).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
The OP is referring to a single specific space, not two sequential actions. The English rules say: "When a player buys a card from this space, he may pay 3 additional decorations..." It's not as simple as you make it out to be. In fact, I'm inclined to agree with the OP's interpretation (that you must have six decorations before you resolve the space in order to take two cards).
Agreed. At the 3 decoration / +3 decoration spot, you need to either pay 3 or 6 up front to get 1 or 2 cards. You can't pay 3, then accumulate something, then pay 3 more for the bonus card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
At the 3 decoration / +3 decoration spot, you need to either pay 3 or 6 up front to get 1 or 2 cards. You can't pay 3, then accumulate something, then pay 3 more for the bonus card.
The rules don't say that you must pay all 6 in one go, they simply state that you must pay 3 decorations to acquire the civ card on the space and then immediately takes the item at the top of the civ card. Then the player may additionally pay 3 decorations to take the top face down civ card from the deck. It is a bit of a grey area, but that is the interpretation that I would use as it seems the logical way for it to fit in with how the rest of the resource collection of the game plays.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
crambaza wrote:
At the 3 decoration / +3 decoration spot, you need to either pay 3 or 6 up front to get 1 or 2 cards. You can't pay 3, then accumulate something, then pay 3 more for the bonus card.
The rules don't say that you must pay all 6 in one go, they simply state that you must pay 3 decorations to acquire the civ card on the space and then immediately takes the item at the top of the civ card. Then the player may additionally pay 3 decorations to take the top face down civ card from the deck. It is a bit of a grey area, but that is the interpretation that I would use as it seems the logical way for it to fit in with how the rest of the resource collection of the game plays.
It doesn't seem like a grey area to me.

The rules say:
"When a player buys a cards [sic] from this space, he may pay 3 additional decorations to also take the top-most card"

NOT

"After a player buys a card..."

It seems clear that the paying for the additional card happens when you buy the original card. You know, 'cause that's what the rules say.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
It doesn't seem like a grey area to me.

The rules say:
"When a player buys a cards [sic] from this space, he may pay 3 additional decorations to also take the top-most card"

NOT

"After a player buys a card..."

It seems clear that the paying for the additional card happens when you buy the original card. You know, 'cause that's what the rules say.
That is a good point...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Star
msg tools
Not sure which rules your quoting from. I recently bought the expansion that I assume is from the latest print run. It says:

Quote:
In order to acquire the Civilization card from this space, a player must spend 3 jewelry. ... The player immediately receives the bonus depicted at the top of the card.

Immediately after purchasing a Civilization card from the 5th space for 3 jewelry, a player may choose to spend an additional 3 jewelryto purchase the top card of the face down draw pile.

Based on the sequence the rules are written, it would seem allowable to use jewelry that the first card's bonus provided. There is a clarification that slightly muddies it, but I read it as the decision to take the card must be made right away. That is, the player can't do something and then decide later to take the card, or have done something later to acquire the necessary decorations.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Star
msg tools
The German language version of the rules seems to me to be more clear:

Quote:
If the player would like to acquire the Civilization card from this field, then he must give up 3 jewelry. The player gives up 3 jewelry, places his person back on his tableau and lays the card on its placement area. The player immediately receives the top level of the card as it applies at this point in the game.

If (or once) he's done this, he can (may) give up 3 more jewelry and for it take the top Civilization card from the face down pile. ... He may not use the top half of the card.

So once again the sequence would seem to allow the use of jewelry acquired from the first card's bonus to be applied to the acquisition of the second card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been a very entertaining discussion so far, but...

Carol wrote:
...buying one that gives a decoration...
There is actually NO civ card that would give you one decoration?!

You might be playing something wrong here - Only the upper part of each civ card has an immediate effect, you do NOT gain 1 decoration for those two civ cards depicting a decoration on green background in the lower part of the card!

That being said, there is still one special case in which the active player would be able to gain 2 decorations from buying the civ card in that new fifth spot: the new "items for dice" cards! In the rare event that you would buy this card for 3 decorations, you would then immediately execute the upper part (= roll the dice) and then, in case you managed to produce at least one "2" or "5" result, you could choose to gain 2 more decorations.

And I agree with "DB Star" that the German rules do indeed suggest that there is no need to pay the 6 decorations in advance to get two civ cards and that rather, the following three steps are executed in sequential order:

1) Buy the new "Items for Dice" card with 3 decorations
2) Execute the effect (= upper part) of that card (and gain 2 more decorations in the process)
3) Use those 2 newly gained decorations plus 1 from your storage to acquire the second civ card (from the pile)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DatabaseDesignStar wrote:
Not sure which rules your quoting from.
Rio Grande edition, obviously. The German and new Z-Man editions do indicate that you could pay for the second card with decorations gained from the first, although I think it's a little odd to interrupt the action to roll dice and distribute rewards (since this is the only way to gain decorations from cards, as noted by the previous poster).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carol

COLUMBUS
Ohio
msg tools
i started this and I actually do not know what card my opponent bought & he says he does not remember. Will have to look thru cards next time I can borrow game - maybe it was a move on the trinket path and from responses I gather it would still be ok to use for 2nd card. Thanks to all - I love knowing the rules!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Star
msg tools
In addition to the card that grants two decorations if a particular die result occurs and is selected, which has been mentioned, there is also the advance along the trade track, which grants two jewelry as a result. Even a card that grants any kind of resource, common in base game, could be used as the trades can also include resources for jewelry. So there are lots of cards that could trigger this sequence.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Star
msg tools
Quote:
Rio Grande edition, obviously

I meant from which print run. My expansion is from the newly released print run. They may have been clarified.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DatabaseDesignStar wrote:
Quote:
Rio Grande edition, obviously

I meant from which print run. My expansion is from the newly released print run. They may have been clarified.
I think there was only one print run from Rio Grande. The "newly released print run" is from Z-Man. And yes, the phrasing is different, based on what was quoted in this thread.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Raps
Netherlands
Alphen aan den Rijn
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Miraculix wrote:
This has been a very entertaining discussion so far, but...

Carol wrote:
...buying one that gives a decoration...
There is actually NO civ card that would give you one decoration?!
...
That being said, there is still one special case in which the active player would be able to gain 2 decorations from buying the civ card in that new fifth spot: the new "items for dice" cards!...
The expansion contains 9 new civ cards.
4 of them have "items for dice".
2 of them let you advance one space on the trader track giving you 2 decorations.

Rulebook (back side):
Quote:
Trader track (2 cards)
The player immediately moves his marker forward 1 space on the trader track and takes 2 decorations from the supply.


Miraculix wrote:
In the rare event that you would buy this card for 3 decorations, ...
Why should it be a rare event?
The lower part of the card in the 5th spot still can be very interesting for end game scoring.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls