Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite rarely this was double session with 5 players where we managed to knock of two games of tower of babel as an encore to Parthenon. Quite a session, I love it when my wife goes away.

The first game was a vvery pelasent affair as we sussed out the mechanisms. My strategy in this one was to begin with the lowest value token and then use my susequent picks to grab those chips of the same colour in asending order. Where possible I also tried to pick up the later forming wonders and found coming into the end game that I still didn't have a share in any of the completed wonders. Although I hadnt had my offers taken particularly often it was working as a benefit as I tpicked up points along the way.

In the process we had missed a rule and weren't distributing the cards properly on the completion of wonders so there was another balance there missing.

Anyway end game came, My delaying tactic had worked well as I picked up the majority in a higher scoring wonder and then my other contributions still scored so there was no harm doen in the end. The kicker came as I revealed a complete set of tokens and romped to a victory.

We corrected our rules mistake and proceeded into a second game. By this point I had won all the games that day and the boys were rightfully compensating for me. Alas we were not to know how the mitigation strategy would work. I was stonewalled from any monument building. Although I still hadn't got it Zirak had picked up that offering large numbers of cards was well worthwhile. Thanks to his infinite wisdom I piggybacked on his strategy with the advantage of knowing (very soon into the game) that noone was going to take my offers.

In the end I was caught out once by Zirak himself as he took an offer that gave me very few points when the wonder was built. But that was the only offer taken from me in the second game, so you can imagine the points i was wracking up. So in the end I didn't score many building points, but a critical decision by another player in the end allowed me to get an extra token of my colour and although this one was closer I still won. I didn't feel particularly good about it though. Naturally I didn't perform as well in the next couple of sessions.

There are some easy things to do in this game. Build your card hand early, collect a single colour of tokens where possible and then start working on your strategy. I suspect this game will go much deeper with future plays and seems quite well balanced. I will look forward to playing it again in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.