Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m going to do this in a kind of historical/story fashion. I played as the Central Powers, my fourth game so far.

1914(False Victories): The game began with early Central Powers success. Belgrade fell quickly and the Austrians managed to rip through Southern Russia. While Russia’s early offensives against Germany failed, German counterattacks did little better. In France the war effort soon turned sour. Despite initial success, viscous allied counterattacks, particularly from the French, thrashed the Germans. Soon a new front developed along the German/Belgian border.

1915(Year of Woe): Turkey, Bulgaria and Italy quickly joined the war effort but remained quiet. In the Middle East only a few give and take battles between Turkey and Russia took place. The Germans switched over to defensive on the Western Front while attacking Russia. Unfortunately both strategies came to naught. German forces only staved off defeat in the West, but could not cause serious losses to the Allies, who formed a massive army. After shredding Russia, the Ruskies launched a powerful counterattack, crushing Austrian and German forces. To make matters worse Austria’s Italian invasion stumbled and the Italian counterattack gained Trent and Trieste. By fall 1915 the Central Powers were failing on three fronts.

1916(Too Late For Glory): The Allied war effort now met its' first serious defeats since early 1914.
Western Front: two invading columns of French of British armies were utterly destroyed in fierce combat. Despite this victory the Germans lacked the means to counterattack, and soon the British were flooding the Western Front. Strasburg became the scene of the German Verdun, a veritable meat grinder that fell to French forces after two turns of attacks! Berlin fell to a French/British column only to be retaken by German forces recalled from the east.
Eastern Front: Austrian and German armies managed to destroy Russia’s reformed might, but could not complete the conquest because of the fall of Berlin. Russia’s weaken forces retook Warsaw and Lodz (both changed hands five times!)
Italian: Here the Allies almost met utter defeat. The Austrians managed to crush the Italians, taking all of Italy before 1917. With the collapse of Germany it seemed a hollow victory, although the Central Powers had 17 victory points! Oh if not for Germany’s poor showing…

1917(To The Last Man): The last offensives of both sides raged on. The Austrians failed to stop the French advance into southern Germany, while the fall of Berlin and Breslau combined with the destruction of all remaining German units ended the war. Sadly though Romania had finally joined, only to be smashed by Bulgaria, and some minor Austrian forces in the closing moves. No doubt Bucharest was razed by Angry Austrians.

Allied Powers MVP: Britain
Central Powers MVP: Austria-Hungary!

Observations: I tried too much with too few forces and never let up in my attacks. While this kept me in the positive victory points until 1917, I bled myself dry. I also failed to fully manage my cards properly and couldn’t get total war cards. Thankfully my opponent was inexperienced, and is by nature a cautious player. He does how ever roll like a demon, and this session was no exception. Considering my shabby strategy, and his superior die rolls, I’d say I did well, and learned a lot about Paths of Glory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My First Defeat and the lessons Learned
I'm not so sure the Allied attack vs Russia, beyond those two easily accessible VP spaces which help to shorten the initial front....pays off. There just seems to be an endless supply of Russians, sparse VPs to be had even if successful.....and a loss of momentum better spent pounding in the NE and Italy. Of course, I don't really know how to win consistently with the CP anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. I totally sympathize.

I find playing with the CP really, really hard and I really don't know where to strike to win at all. The game I'm currently playing now I've tried to hit Russia really hard--and I did, permanently eliminating 3 armies. I have all Russian VP spots save Baku and Odessa. It's 1917. This makes them more tractable, but I still have way too many armies sitting around in Russia not fighting but keeping all the offmap spaces loosely guarded. I'm dug in in the 3 space Rhine (had to retreat) and in Italian mountain spaces.

It's just that actually finishing the Russians is nigh on impossible it seems. Paradoxically, I did so well in my early war that when the Tsar fell I held, you guessed it, everything but Baku and Odessa--meaning I have to capture one of those where all remaining Russian armies are concentrated to play the Bolshevik revolution. On top of that playing Russian events *also* means you lose your really powerful 4 and 5 events from the deck. I'm really frustrated playing with the CP. I wish I had a clear idea of what I'm supposed to be doing to win; I just don't understand. I'm sure there's a coherent strategy guide at CSW if you could somehow stitch all the useful posts together in one place, but... I dunno. Anyway, just frustrated, I've drawn (barely) or lost with the CP in all three games I've played.

And then there's the near east, where you can lose a ton of forces and VPs to the *much* more powerful AP forces. I feel like it's an entire game in and of itself, and one which I don't understand how to win with the CP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedTorgerson wrote:
Gary is very good with the CP. He is able to dictate the course of play which is important for the CP going first.

Good session report but you need to play a lot of cards for Replacement Points in between all those attacks!

Until recent turns--you've really taken control of the initiative in 1917. Can you guess who I'm playing the game I'm talking about with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
garysax wrote:
Paradoxically, I did so well in my early war that when the Tsar fell I held, you guessed it, everything but Baku and Odessa--meaning I have to capture one of those where all remaining Russian armies are concentrated to play the Bolshevik revolution.

If you choose the "attack Russia" strategy, I think you have to aim for Treaty of Brest-Litovsk. Once you make it to that point, you no longer need a significant commitment to the Russian Front. Your German RPs can focus on the West, and the Austrians can spend all their RPs in Italy. You could still lose if the Near East goes bad, but attacking Russia and then not finishing it off is probably a losing strategy.

Baku is hard to take, but the von Hutier card is tailor-made for taking Odessa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
If you choose the "attack Russia" strategy, I think you have to aim for Treaty of Brest-Litovsk. Once you make it to that point, you no longer need a significant commitment to the Russian Front. Your German RPs can focus on the West, and the Austrians can spend all their RPs in Italy. You could still lose if the Near East goes bad, but attacking Russia and then not finishing it off is probably a losing strategy.

Treaty of Brest-Lit. is almost impossible to achieve, IMO. If the AP only plays his 11 WS-cards, you really have to do all the hard work yourself. (Conquering Russia AND playing all those event cards) If the Allied player is your match, he will be able to deny you the time/ initiative to do so.
But that's only my experience, in less than 15 plays. If anyone has any tips, please tell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

Treaty of Brest-Lit. is almost impossible to achieve, IMO. If the AP only plays his 11 WS-cards, you really have to do all the hard work yourself. (Conquering Russia AND playing all those event cards) If the Allied player is your match, he will be able to deny you the time/ initiative to do so.
But that's only my experience, in less than 15 plays. If anyone has any tips, please tell

Not impossible, I would say--but by the time you could get it done it's way too late in the game to reap the benefits of moving your troops back to the other front. Probably on your last cycle through the cards. And you don't have any good 5 cards anymore if you do it and are facing someone who isn't playing many war score events themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
The strategy I used sucessfully in my first two games as the CP was throwing everything at France and in the east having just enough forces to hold the line, not too hard a prospect I think if Austria can put up a positive war effort aganist Russia, something they failed to do in this session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did spend a lot of RP points only to lose them! With Germany I think I spilled all the fatherland's blood in 1915. Some of it was dice rolls, other times over agression, but I also feel I failed to put my all into the 1914 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.