Popular Tags: word [+] [View All]
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I run a Latin scrabble tournament at the high school where I work. This tournament has been going on for five years now and attracts a crowd (believe it or not). We use modified scrabble sets to match the letter distribution of the Latin language. I got the accurate letter/point distribution from a Classics journal years ago that was based on a statistical study of surviving Latin texts. The problem is this means we've been playing with sets that have numbers written on them in English and we have to cobble together tile sets from mulitple copies of English and other language Scrabble games. I would love to buy a few custom sets of tiles and might even be interested in buying a few hundred sets of tiles or so to share with other Latin teachers. Anyone have any idea where I could find something like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeph Stahl
Canada
Grimsby
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.thebrickbrewery.com
badge
www.thebrickbrewery.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to try to contact Steve Jones of www.bluepantherllc.com
at steve(at)bluepanterllc(dot)com
He can probably satisfy your request.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try getting in touch with someone at www.protiles.net. They produce the tiles used in tournaments and have lots of different styles. Perhaps they could do a custom run for you, especially if you are looking for a bulk order. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you post the frequency of the letters? I'm curious...and may use them myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the letters at work. I will count them up next week and send you a PM with the count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremiah mead
msg tools
I have just over 100 sets of protiles with the Latin tile distribution and point values determined by the folks at UToronto -- available for sale. I'll be hawking them at the annual meeting of the Classical Association of New England, for starters, but can send them to folks who order by (e)mail. Contact me at jeremead@msn.com .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
latindog wrote:
I have the letters at work. I will count them up next week and send you a PM with the count.

A thought: Don't send as a PM, upload as a file... You get GG, other 'Latin lovers' have access to info. Better yet, do both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Harrison
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi Bill
We are about to produce the first official Latin Scrabble game here in the UK, under license from Mattel (who have the rights outside North America). It will be available come September. If you are still interested, I can look into the possibility of us selling to the US.

The distribution has been calculated with scholars from the University of Cambridge, and the letter tiles have Roman numerals for the values - it so happens that V is worth 5 points, so it is Vv!

My email address is jim@leisuretrends.co.uk. I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best

Jim Harrison
Tinderbox Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.