Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Chamberlain
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm serious. I keep looking at it, and I've seen on a table setup at a convention and man it's huge! But I'm too worry about it being just another resource management game like Caylus or Power Grid. Where if you fall behind your screwed! Every time I see it I feel the urge to get excited and think about it as my next purchase, but there is always a nagging feeling that it will be a waste of my time and the pretty bits are just there to cover up yet another mundane resource gathering mechanic.

Can someone sell me on this game? Tell me 3 strong points about in detail to help me decide?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's fun, but it's a development game, so it's fairly long and slow moving for a Euro. If you like games like Princes of Florence but think they could use plastic trains you'll dig it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BooChihuahua wrote:
Is this game any fun?

Yes.

BooChihuahua wrote:
Tell me 3 strong points about in detail to help me decide?

1. Railroad Tycoon has a very simple set of rules that provide a rich tapestry of strategic decisions. It's a longer game, but there is always something going on so you rarely feel like you have downtime.

2. You never have enough to do what you want. That's an excellent sign of a game with many possibilities.

3. It's possible to come from behind in the last 1/3rd of a game.

And, finally, the bits are plain old fun to play with. Choo-choo!

redtraingreentrainbluetrainyellowtrainblacktrain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't yet own the game (perhaps Christmas?), but really want it.

Here's the kicker though: If you get it now and don't like it, you can sell it on E-Bay for as much as you can buy it for new right now. It's just going to get more pronounced as the game becomes less and less available...it's already quite difficult to find in online stores.

So why not take advantage of trying, with the option of E-baying (or GameGeeking) the game for full purchase price if you don't like it? (NOTE: At least in my local game store, they sell it for $50.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be my only 10 if my board wasn't warped.

It is truly fun, and challenging, both at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably the most fun game I have, rated over games that are supposed to be more fun but are just less satisfying

The RRT financial system does reward fast starters, but then it slows them down just as the late starters are peaking... So you really can catch up as long as you don't take a lot of debt or throw in the towel. And as the other fellow pointed out, the price on RRT is going up, not down.

Top three things for me:

1. It's the sort of game that, when you're done, you want to play again soon, and try out the options you decided against or delayed too long. And this seems to be true of most people we teach the game for the first time too.

2. The theme is very strong, so once you understand the basic options and flow of the game, you succeed by planning and doing things that inherently make sense, rather than performing a long analysis of artificial options. It makes the game flow better and allows players to enjoy the game even if they're not winning.

3. Building track across the eastern US, seeing the competing networks develop over and attractive an huge board, and then standing back and talking about how it happened, is just really satifying. A lot more satifying than most other games I've seen...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BooChihuahua wrote:
...but there is always a nagging feeling that it will be a waste of my time and the pretty bits are just there to cover up yet another mundane resource gathering mechanic.

Can someone sell me on this game? Tell me 3 strong points about in detail to help me decide?

If you have the nagging feeling, I would avoid it until you've played it. That said...

1. If I bring RRT, my group will want to play it. It's antedotal, but true. I'de rather play Friedrich, or Crusader Rex right now, but if I bring RRT, it will be demanded. I leave it home when I don't want to play it.
2. Even the losers tend to have some satisfaction from what they built. I've seen people lose, but gloat, "Yea, but I connected NYC to Chicago". Again, odd but true.
3. Non-gamer rule complexity, with gamer level of strategic options.

I like it, but I tend to go with my gut.

-Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've once played it with 4 and a couple of times (<10) with only my wife.

My opinions so far:
1) The more the marrier.
2) Catching up is impossible hard. Let alone taking the lead from a last position. Forget a exciting race where every other turn someone else takes the lead.

Q for the more experienced players: do you share my opinions?

I love this game. But as more plays strenghten my 2nd opinion, the chances are this game will soon just be gathering dust. What I do miss in this game are possibilities to complicate matters for (runaway) leaders. A stock market would be a possibility, but greatly change the game. Extra card(s) 'saboteur' or 'train robber' (<-like in the PC game) would give players more tools.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As you say, the more, the merrier. When playing with 4 or 5 players, the ability to come from behind is much enhanced as competition for scarce real-estate only comes into play with more players using the full map. It is a good idea when playing with 2 or 3 players to use only the East Coast (East of the Mountains).

G

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Carlson
United States
Spring Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It is my only 10. This is one of the best games ever invented. I was thoroughly disappointed with Caylus and Power Grid. I also found Carcassone to be fun for a few games but then it lost all its interest.

If you like games with stategy, tactics and very little luck this is the game for you. You must balance the need to invest with the need to produce.

The board setup is different every game which gives you different stategic possibilities each time. One game the starting bid may go up to the 20s and other times it will barely make it past 5.

It is addicting. Our group will pretty much only play this. It is so interesting each time we play it that they pretty much condemn me when I suggest we try something else once in a while. And I rate this a 10.

We have played this game every week for about two years now and in reply to the possiblity of catching up from behind I would say that we never know who will really win until very near the end, even if one person has a seemingly invicible lead. If a person is behind part of it could be because he has spent more time building a better infrastructure and when he starts really delivering, there is no stopping him.

You must play it to realize just how good it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's an excellent game.

It's my personal favorite and also my currently highest rated game (9 as per the BGG rating guidelines).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.