Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming » BrettspielWelt (BSW)

Subject: Lag issues in BSW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: bsw [+] [View All]
Kevin
United States
Lake Elsinore
California
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want the world; I just want your half.
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing several games on BSW that have been plagued with lag, I have finally concluded that I am the one causing the lag or at least the only one lagging. I have not attempted to ajust the port settings on my firewall yet. Will this possibly address the issue? If it was a port issue, BSW wouldn't work at all would it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea if that will make a difference.
One thing that always makes a difference is to use the client instead of the web browser. If you are already using the client then I have no additional advice. Except, perhaps, move to Europe. That might reduce the lag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firewall setting shouldn't effect lag. If your firewall was a bsw port, you wouldn't be able to connect at all.

As Brent mentioned, the first suggestion is always use the client and not the web interface. It greatly reduces network traffic as the image, sound and class files are stored on your machine and not fetched from the server.

If you are already using the client, then the lag is most likely your ISP, or traffic between your ISP and the servers in Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markku Jaatinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been lag on the servers also during December when servers were changed or updated (so I heard from one of the German players) and there's been also new games getting in. So we seen this quite a lot lately so I think it has to do with the servers too. It's pretty easy to see that the lag is happening on the server when players in game and chat windows start to type in "test" or ".." to check whether the connection to server works. If you see that happening then others are experiencing the same problem too and there's not too much you can do about it on your own computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Drummond-Cole
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I get lag all the time playing with my roommate. We are using the same ISP, the same local network, the same game... The only thing I can think of is that different hardware and/or OS can contribute to lag as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Berman
Argentina
S.C. de Bariloche
Rio Negro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Argentina, I got the same lag all the time. No matter what time is it, or firewall up/down, or linux/windows client.
I'm starting to think that BSW has set up a rate control for connections outside Germany. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got lag as well, and I'm using the downloaded client. It has started to piss some players off. Chat works fine, just playing the game sometimes is slow, does not do the mouse commands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lag tonight is terrible.

We're playing Carcassonne and some people are placing their tile, placing a piece and seeing the next tile before the other players have even seen the tile being played.

All of us are on the client.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have lag problems, try adding the following line somewhere in your .prop file (it forces Java to use another sound system):

System.javax.sound.sampled.Clip=#Java Sound Audio Engine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.