Popular Tags: rt_vs_aos [+] [View All]
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
I have crossposted this to the AoS forum as well, because I am interested in views from players frequenting each game entry:

I was recently taught AoS and find it to be absolutely brilliant - I love the brutal nature of cashflow management in the game, how you feel a sense of impending doom with every action you take. I also tend to think that the game could be played not ruthlessly - that is, the game system itself is brutal enough that being nasty to your fellow players for nastiness sake does not have to be a preferred choice, especially as it seems to me that there is generally always a positive move available instead.

In any case, I just bought a copy which I hope will get delivered in the next couple of weeks, but my question is: should I also get RRT?

I generally like most games - if I could write reviews I'd be Tom Vassel - and tend to find quite a few games to be really rewarding. Also people I play with, including the all important wife, like train games (then again, who doesn't?). RRT sure looks gorgeous, and that does matter to me and my fellow gamers.

That said, from everything I've read about RRT in the past few days it seems like it's revised AoS, but still rather similar.

Considering the cost of RRT, should I look to buy it or be happy with having AoS? Will RRT provide a different enough play experience that it will be worth playing one and then the other in, say, the same evening? (that's my "litmus test" of whether similar games are different enough, and why I haven't picked up, say, TtR:Europe even though we love TtR)

Or am I surmising correctly that RRT and AoS are essentially the same game with slightly differing mechanics?

Am I missing any important pros or cons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the ruthless economy of AoS my advice would be to buy AoS expansion boards, not RT.

The net effect of many of the changes in RT is a softening of the economic system. I could go into it in further depth, but the real summary is the single sentence above: if you like the game system because the economic system is difficult then RT is probably not a good investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
RT is more "bally-hoo rip-roaring hootinany-blast." If your group is more staid and thinky, stick with AoS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are very different games
Yes, I know that seems odd, seeing as how one came from the other, they use very similar mechanics and have the same theme, but it's true

AOS is a "gamers' game"
One wrong move early on and you're screwed
Your opponents can kill you if they want to spare tne time from their own actions
You have to plan VERY carefully, because you only get one chance to take money each turn
Financial managment is the key to the game

RT is a family game
You can easily recover from a (really bad) early mistake
It is almost impossible (due to the size of the baord) for an opponent to hurt you badly
You can have medium range plans, but can change them in an instant if the 'right' card comes up, or if someone takes the card you want, because you can take money whenever you need it
Route building is the key to the game

If you liked the knife-edge economics of AOS you will probably find RT too tame
If you liked the route building and deliveries but disliked the fact that your vital goods could be nabbed by another player, then you will probably like RT

And as it has been already said, buying it is a no-lose scenario - you can ebay it for the same price that you pay for it 8-)

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.