United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my Battlelore broken out tonight. Looks very cool but I wanted to share one observation and one question.

(1) How many goblins and Dwarves are you suppose to have? I can't find anything in the game that says how many you should get of each but I got 32 Goblins and 20 Dwarves in my box. Am I missing some Dwarves?

(2) As many others have complained I got a ton of bent figures. I think I must have had a good 30-40 bent figures. The good news is it was extremely easy to fix them using the hot & cold water treatment. The figures even remember their original shape a good deal of the time so if the water is the right temp they just reform themselves in about 5 seconds. Even the swords go from bent to straight. You just need to fish them out and drop them into the water. Took me about an hour to fix all mine, but that time also included me sorting the pieces and putting them into ziplock bags and such. Not a big hassle really.

Over all I am impressed with what you get in the box. The quality is what I would have expected from Days of Wonder and that is to say extremely good. Looking at this game it doesn't take much effort to see the potential this has for expansions. I see the Goblins, Dwarves, Hill Giant and Spider and I just think how cool this is going to be once we get the army expansions (undead army is my hope) or additional creatures like fire elemental, dragon, werewolf or vampire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Over all I am impressed with what you get in the box. The quality is what I would have expected from Days of Wonder and that is to say extremely good.

I agree, wholeheartedly! The effect is magnified when you set the game up for a scenario.

mrbeankc wrote:
Looking at this game it doesn't take much effort to see the potential this has for expansions. I see the Goblins, Dwarves, Hill Giant and Spider and I just think how cool this is going to be once we get the army expansions (undead army is my hope) or additional creatures like fire elemental, dragon, werewolf or vampire.

Yes, yes! The potential for what this game could offer, down the road, is almost mindboggling. I am also hoping that we have some sort of campaign play, maybe with the ability to build our own armies (based upon a point system or something) and field them.

Even my brother, who doesn't normally play these types of games, was really impressed when I showed him the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
(1) How many goblins and Dwarves are you suppose to have? I can't find anything in the game that says how many you should get of each but I got 32 Goblins and 20 Dwarves in my box. Am I missing some Dwarves?

You can check how many leaders there should be of each type with the list at the end of the rules. From memory (I sorted my figures yesterday to put them away), you should have:

Dwarves: 1 green crossbowman, 3 blue infantry, 1 red infantry
=> 5 units, 4 models per unit = 20 figs

Goblins: 2 green infantry, 1 green archers, 2 blue infantry, 1 red infantry, 2 green cavalry
=> 6 units with 4 models and 2 units with 3 models each = 30 figs

So 20 dwarfs would be correct, and 32 goblins is even more than you need. I didn't notice whether there were two spare goblins in my game or not.

BTW, for the 9th scenario, you actually need a second goblin archer unit which is not included with the game. But you can just stick an archer flag on infantry, so it is not a big deal. I don't bother with using the exact right models, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Niko Ruf wrote:
BTW, for the 9th scenario, you actually need a second goblin archer unit which is not included with the game. But you can just stick an archer flag on infantry, so it is not a big deal. I don't bother with using the exact right models, anyway.

According to the BattleLore site, that is a misprint:

"Also, please note that Adventure # 9 has a misprint. There should only be one goblin archer unit in the woods, in the 3rd hex from the left of the map. The goblin archer unit next to it (in the 4th hex from the left) is an error, and should be a green goblin infantry unit, not an archer unit."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
20 and 32 is correct i myself am missing a goblin swordsman and a dwarf swordsman but i got an extra dwarf hvy swordsman (negotiations continue as to whether i will get the 2 missing ones)

i was dissapointed to see so few non humans but m'b this will be recitified with future add on packs (although more in the base would have been nice :S)

bent figures is teh old boiling water for a few seconds, straighten and then dunk in cold water trick it works and is easy and not as dangerous as it sounds a couple of bowls or wide mugs will do fine

i myself am thinking of painintg my figures once they are all straightened im pretty sure theer are umpteen articles on here about that ill ahve to have alook, im a little scared that they extremities are very bendy and paint will chip easily, i had thought of applying a thin coat of watered glue to crisp them a bit but i m'b looking in teh worng direction with that idea, i'll have to experiment on my spare dwarf

am very impressed with teh look of teh thing when its all set up too

am also hopeing that boards will be avaliable sepertaly so i do not need to buy anotehr box to play HUGE scenarios!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite glad there weren't more non-human figures in the box, assuming that that would entail less human figures. It makes it easier to play Medieval scenarios, or even fantasy ones where the bullk of the armies are human.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven Volckaert
Belgium
Kortenberg
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Someone made a spreadsheet that contains all the units you should have. It is in a thread over at the the official Battlelore forums. http://www.daysofwonder.com/index.php?t=msg&th=9052&start=0&...

You should have 20 Dwarves and 30 Goblins but most people have 2 extra goblin swordmen. (I actually have 8 extra)

Cheers,
Lieven

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:

Someone already linked to the informal inventory, so I won't duplicate that effort. I think that in their postings on their own message board, DoW's hinted at the reason for not including an actual troop count: they're not guaranteeing that everyone has the exact same troop count when it comes to figures without banners.

Quote:
The number of banner bearers in each game (ie the number of banners that come already attached to a figure, placed in its own individual spot inside one of the two blisters) should match the count written on page 79 of the rulebook.

On the other hand, the number of figures with no banners attached, and the number and composition of banners with no figures attached, may vary slightly from one game set to the next. This is because despite our best effort during assembly, we simply cannot guarantee an exact count on these parts.

Please contact us for spare pieces ONLY if:
- you are missing some banner bearers (this should almost never happen, and you would see it immediately when looking at the blisters)
- or if you are missing enough figures that it makes it impossible to assemble complete units per the adventures offered in the Adventures booklet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the hot water-cold water procedure last evening and went to bed with everyone straightened out on the dining room table. This morning I found that most of the formerly bent bits had regressed to their bent condition. The extreme flat-overs (all mounted) had only gone halfway back to flat, but the hobgoblin archers all have a thirty-degree list again as do most of the bent pieces.

I also noticed that several of the Cavalry figures I straightened now have rippled bases. Perhaps there will more animation on the board as the knights rock into action.

We keep the room at about 68 degrees. I'm guessing the chilled-water step didn't quite cool them all the way through. I'm thinking of making splints from Legos or some such thing to hold them upright overnight after reheating/recooling and see if that does the trick.

Those of you who've straightened and bagged might want to go check them again and see if you have any backsliders.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Anyone holding off on buying this game because of some leaning pieces will be missing out on a really good thing.

Along with the speculation about future expansion creatures and units, I'm really curious about the epic side of the board which is designed to be combined with another board resulting in double the hexes of the regular board, deeper and wider (the hexes are the same size, there are just more of them) and with the hex "grain" going in the other direction.

I'm thinking we're going to see not only big battle games, but also adventures in the style of "quest" games similar to the Warcraft boardgame, etc.

Not only is this a great concept, but I'm beginning to imagine its implications applied to a "Commands & Colors" Napoleonic game with both Field Battle and Campaign scenarios. Richard and Pat, are the gears turning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry, after my first attempt I had the same problem. The key is to use hot enough water: boiling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.