Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: cards [+] [View All]
Phillip Schwarzmann
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone use a laminator to create game/card prototypes? I just purchased a Peach-brand A3-size laminator for 42 euros. It's amazing.

I create my cards using NanDeck (amazing app), I find clip via Microsoft's Clipart Gallery, I use Adobe Photoshop to manipulate the graphics, then print them out on a nice color laserjet printer. I laminate each paper, then cut out the cards using a metal ruler and exacto-knife.

The cards look amazing and are very durable. Paper is very porous and adheres very well to the laminate sleeves. And of course they look beautiful.

Before I was using typical playing card sleeves, and that method sucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep - MSWord, laminator, scissors. Not quite as precise, but then, prototypes are prone to change.

For extra credit, use nail clippers to round the corners!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrraow wrote:
Yep - MSWord, laminator, scissors. Not quite as precise, but then, prototypes are prone to change.

I got a corner-cutter from spielmaterial.de
It's quite tricky to use on laminated items... but still works well though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out more thoughts on this at the Board Game Design Forum (www.bgdf.com). I know many users there have used lamination for their prototype cards. Specifically they use the cold laminators with the rolls of laminate.

If you're doing any number of cards, I suggest you invest in a rotary cutter or a guillotine stle paper cutter. Makes cutting them out so much faster (and each batch is cut to an identical size for perfect shuffling). You can use a fence (most come with one) to set the stops for the cutting sizes. I have done many many prototypes that way with great success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a xyron 850 with the doublesided laminate cartridge and 110 lb index card stock. It make an excellent card (I have a corner punch also).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're on the subject, I'm planning on making extra cards for Federation Commander and I was wondering if you guys knew if the lamination plastic works with dry-erase markers. I'm looking at getting the cheap adhesive Xyron laminator for this. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin h.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Michaels, AC Moore, etc in the US stock corner rounders in the scrapbooking section. They work pretty well on cardstock, although I've never tried them on laminated items. less than 10$

When I used to work in a university library bookbinding/repair/conservation department, we had a big corner rounder which would cut heavy board - hardback book thickness. I've seen them online, but they start over 100USD plus shipping, etc.

We also had a HUGE guillotine which would cut entire reams of paper, and a "board shear" which is a massive table size paper cutter, with a foot operated clamp.

I really miss having access to that stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Ceth
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
In my experience dry erase does notsoblue work well with laminate. It bleeds into the plastic and can't be fully erased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're willing to spend a couple bucks and REALLY want perfect cards:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/129881

I'm tempted by a laminator, but what I really need right now is a paper folder for rulebooks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tragicpoet wrote:
In my experience dry erase does notsoblue work well with laminate. It bleeds into the plastic and can't be fully erased.

Thanks for the info, Chris. I'll try and get my friend to laminate a few to test out first before I take the plunge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fitch
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ljw74us wrote:
I use a xyron 850 with the doublesided laminate cartridge and 110 lb index card stock. It make an excellent card (I have a corner punch also).

Lee,
Where did you find your corner cutter? I checked at Michael's but they just had a gigantic one, not appropriate from human-scaled cards at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dinky_Gnatbane wrote:
ljw74us wrote:

Lee,
Where did you find your corner cutter? I checked at Michael's but they just had a gigantic one, not appropriate from human-scaled cards at all.

Hi Mike,

I'll get the info on the corner cutter tonight and post it. Maybe I can figure out where I got it.

PS to Mike,
I still have the Win, Place, and Show stuff for you. I've tried going to AF&G a couple of game nights, but you haven't been there and lets just say the people that were did not seem interested in adding strangers to their games. I've switched back to Lost Goblin's Wednesday nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
mrraow wrote:

I got a corner-cutter from spielmaterial.de
It's quite tricky to use on laminated items... but still works well though.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1861012#1861012

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.