Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Goose
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading people's reports on how they love HOTS so much that they play several games in one evening. We're playing our first game; we start at around 7.30pm, spend about 15 minutes setting up, and play 'til around 10pm. We are managing to get through about 3 years per evening.

WHAT ARE WE DOING WRONG? Admittedly we have to refer back to the rules occasionally, but we seem to be playing it much slower than other folks. We find that we're spending time considering each move, but I can't imagine playing it any other way.

How long does it take you to play a full game? Do you rush, or do you think about each turn? Have you got quicker with more plays? Do tell!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
I'm fairly experienced at the game and full nine-turn games usually take three hours. These games aren't particularly rushed either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're spending way too much time considering your moves. It's a 3 hour game tops. There really isn't any reason to take so long. with the fog of war aspect you don't know for sure what your opponent has so why take so long trying to figure out the perfect plan.

Think long, think wrong.

Pick up the pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
We can get it done in about 2.5 hours.
once you get the wintering down solid you speed up the games quite a bit.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a game through 18 years (basically the campaign game, but we agreed to stop in 1314 and use a majority victory) in 2.5 h. So it is definitely possible to play this fast. Granted, I lost - I had only Wallace and Moray on the board at the end of 1313, and 1314 started with two event cards. But I don't think it had anything to do with the speed of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Therw's enough complexity in the game that the first few games will take a long time as you build an understanding of the rules and the tactical and strategic options.

However, as with a lot of games, with a few plays under your belt it speeds up a lot as you can read and assess the current situation a lot more quickly. I recently taught it to a good gamer who hadn't played HOTS before and his moves took a lot longer than mine.

The game's good enough to be worth a slow game or two to get the basics right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.