Recommend
17 
 Thumb up
 Hide
42 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Viticulture» Forums » Variants

Subject: Official Viticulture Solo Challenge #1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you up for a challenge? If so, read on . I’ve spent some time recently creating special solitaire challenges for Tuscany together with David Studley and I hope that a lot of you will join in. The idea of the challenges is to make small tweaks to the rules that force you to try out new strategies so that the game will be more varied.

In this post I’ll post the first challenge and encourage you all to post your score to this thread, so that you can compete on who can get the highest score.

I have no clue whether there’s interest in this kind of thing, so this is an experiment. If it turns out that there’s interest, then I’ll publish the other ones over time.

With that out of the way let’s get started.

When playing this challenge use the following expansion modules from Tuscany
Automa
Mamas & Papas
New visitors
Advanced visitors
Properties
Extended board
Structures

Replace the old visitor cards as described on the bottom of page 7 of the Tuscany rulebook and remove cards that only give you a benefit if other players take an action (or simply discard and draw a new one when you draw one of them).

For today’s challenge play with the following rule changes:
Before setting up choose any two structures from the structure deck and build them for free.
You don’t the 1 VP per structure for building these two structures.

Let us know how many points you score and what structures you chose.
9 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Andrews
Wales
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Hi,

I'm interested in these but only have the Viticulture base game so will have to sit this one out.

Craig
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMadWelshWizard wrote:
Hi,

I'm interested in these but only have the Viticulture base game so will have to sit this one out.

Craig


Too bad. If I post a challenge that can be played with just the base game, then I'll be sure to note it in the threads name.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't got beyond Mamas and Papas yet - I need to get a move on!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
I haven't got beyond Mamas and Papas yet - I need to get a move on!


The new and advanced visitors doesn't add any complexity, so you can just add them. Properties is extremely simple. Structures also requires you to learn fairly few rules. The extended board is the only one than takes more than a couple of minutes to learn (note, I said learn, not master ).

And now go get a move on .
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kessels (e-mail behgez@gmail.com)
Netherlands
Bussum, The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Morten, this is cool. I hope many people find a spare hour to join the challenge.

I just finished it and I got 43 points.

I chose the following structures:
- School: Train 1 worker for free and use it this year
- Aqueduct: Ignore the structure requiremens to plant vines

I thought those were the best ones to jump start my economy. I luckily drew a winter visitor card to train another worker and started with wake-up chart #7. So by the end of year 1 I had a harvested field and 6 workers. I destroyed the school to replace it with a mercado in year 4 or so.

Until the last year I was lucky with the automa. In year 7 I could have fulfilled one order more and have sold one sparkling, but automa thought 43 points was more than enough :-)

I feel some of the cards are too strong. I typically don't play with any of expansions that come after the new board, since I personally don't think they enhance the gameplay (as confirmed for me today), but maybe a next challenge will change my mind!
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
paulkessels wrote:
Thanks Morten, this is cool. I hope many people find a spare hour to join the challenge.

I just finished it and I got 43 points.

I chose the following structures:
- School: Train 1 worker for free and use it this year
- Aqueduct: Ignore the structure requiremens to plant vines

I thought those were the best ones to jump start my economy. I luckily drew a winter visitor card to train another worker and started with wake-up chart #7. So by the end of year 1 I had a harvested field and 6 workers. I destroyed the school to replace it with a mercado in year 4 or so.

Until the last year I was lucky with the automa. In year 7 I could have fulfilled one order more and have sold one sparkling, but automa thought 43 points was more than enough :-)

I feel some of the cards are too strong. I typically don't play with any of expansions that come after the new board, since I personally don't think they enhance the gameplay (as confirmed for me today), but maybe a next challenge will change my mind!


Great to see that you've already had a go at it. Thank you for participating.

It's interesting to see that you took a completely different approach than me (I'm not going to mention my choices yet, so as not to influence what the rest of you do).

Fortunately it doesn't matter for this challenge, whether or not some of the structure cards are too strong, since everybody can choose the two they want, so we're all on an equal footing. Personally I quite like the structure expansion, since it adds variation and after about 140 plays of Viticulture that's something I appreciate .
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kessels (e-mail behgez@gmail.com)
Netherlands
Bussum, The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
...it adds variation and after about 140 plays of Viticulture that's something I appreciate .


Yes, I get that

Me too, I am very interested to see what others choose as their structures and if and how that impacts the score. I like it to be forced to think in different strategies, since this games has many work around paths to victory. The main reasons why I prefer to play it with 2, 4 or 6 players instead of an unequal number.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
For today’s challenge


Oh man, how about "this week's challenge" I don't get to play solo nearly that much
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mpalframan wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
For today’s challenge


Oh man, how about "this week's challenge" I don't get to play solo nearly that much


Haha . I didn't mean as a one day challenge. It was meant as the challenge posted today. If this turns out to be something there's interest in I'll post the rest one by one with some unspecified number of days in between.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cant wait to give this challenge a try. I have played with all the expansions except for the extended board, so this gives me a reason to finally break it out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SoundCity wrote:
Cant wait to give this challenge a try. I have played with all the expansions except for the extended board, so this gives me a reason to finally break it out.


Please post back here, when you're done.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hagen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
started with School and Aqueduct.
ooops, fail. ended up with only 24 points and re-reading the automa rules with on setting up influence stars. ah well...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lugielord wrote:

started with School and Aqueduct.
ooops only got 24 point. re-read the automa rules with influence stars. YIKES!


Thank you for participating .

Let me know if you have any questions about Automa and the influence stars (preferable in a separate thread, though ).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hagen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Morten-
2nd attempt, tried the two most expensive structures (statue and ristorante), they have to have value, right? well I used the ristorante (2x) during the game and ended up with 36 points.
6 vp from ristorante
7 vp from statue
3 vp from influence

The real issue was I was blocked from making wine on my last turn and had already used my grande worker, ugh!

Thanks for the variant. I like it a lot, but I am going to change one thing. 2 RANDOM structures instead....

Ciao for now!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lugielord wrote:
Hi Morten-
2nd attempt, tried the two most expensive structures (statue and ristorante), they have to have value, right? well I used the ristorante (2x) during the game and ended up with 36 points.
6 vp from ristorante
7 vp from statue
3 vp from influence

The real issue was I was blocked from making wine on my last turn and had already used my grande worker, ugh!

Thanks for the variant. I like it a lot, but I am going to change one thing. 2 RANDOM structures instead....

Ciao for now!


Great, thank you for participating and yes it's enticing to go for expensive structures, when you get them for free . Let us know if you play again (whether with selected or random structures).

Ciao
- Morten
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So far Paul Kessels is leading the pack with 43 VP .
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hagen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Morton-
Played again. randomly drew Cask and Shop. Used them 2x and 3x respectively. Nice to have another way to fill orders. Anyhow. Ended up with 31 vp this time. Having fun. Thanks again!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lugielord wrote:
Hi Morton-
Played again. randomly drew Cask and Shop. Used them 2x and 3x respectively. Nice to have another way to fill orders. Anyhow. Ended up with 31 vp this time. Having fun. Thanks again!


I'm happy to hear that. My main purpose in making the challenges was to add variation and a reason to explore different strategies.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was finally able to sit down tonight and play the challenge.

I scored 40pts in the game. My starting Structures were the Aqueduct and the Statue. The Aqueduct worked perfect and the Statue was nice because it gave me a free point every round. Even with the Statue giving me a free point each round I will definitely not start with it the next time I play this challenge.
I was able to fill 5 wine orders for a total 21pts. I also took advantage of the Sell One Wine Token action and off loaded 3 Sparkling Wines for another 12 points. My only other points came from influence in Arezzo at the end of the game.




Thank you for putting together this great challenge and I look forward to more. Viticulture is one of my favorite solo games, but I don't get it to the table enough. These challenges are the excuse I need!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SoundCity wrote:
I was finally able to sit down tonight and play the challenge.

I scored 40pts in the game. My starting Structures were the Aqueduct and the Statue. The Aqueduct worked perfect and the Statue was nice because it gave me a free point every round. Even with the Statue giving me a free point each round I will definitely not start with it the next time I play this challenge.
I was able to fill 5 wine orders for a total 21pts. I also took advantage of the Sell One Wine Token action and off loaded 3 Sparkling Wines for another 12 points. My only other points came from influence in Arezzo at the end of the game.



So Paul still has the lead with his score of 43 VP .

Thank you for joining in, it's nice to see the challenge being used.

Have you considered which structure to use instead of the statue?

SoundCity wrote:
Thank you for putting together this great challenge and I look forward to more. Viticulture is one of my favorite solo games, but I don't get it to the table enough. These challenges are the excuse I need!


I'm very happy to hear that. Maybe I should be releasing the next one soon?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
SoundCity wrote:
I was finally able to sit down tonight and play the challenge.

I scored 40pts in the game. My starting Structures were the Aqueduct and the Statue. The Aqueduct worked perfect and the Statue was nice because it gave me a free point every round. Even with the Statue giving me a free point each round I will definitely not start with it the next time I play this challenge.
I was able to fill 5 wine orders for a total 21pts. I also took advantage of the Sell One Wine Token action and off loaded 3 Sparkling Wines for another 12 points. My only other points came from influence in Arezzo at the end of the game.



So Paul still has the lead with his score of 43 VP .

Thank you for joining in, it's nice to see the challenge being used.

Have you considered which structure to use instead of the statue?

SoundCity wrote:
Thank you for putting together this great challenge and I look forward to more. Viticulture is one of my favorite solo games, but I don't get it to the table enough. These challenges are the excuse I need!


I'm very happy to hear that. Maybe I should be releasing the next one soon?


I need to take a better look through the structures as this was my firt time using them. I am sure there are some nice combos in that deck.
I look forward to when you do put up the next challenge.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "back to the grind" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't own this one but subscribed to watch how it plays out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maloma wrote:
Don't own this one but subscribed to watch how it plays out.


This thread sounds like a great excuse to "fix" that problem!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mpalframan wrote:
maloma wrote:
Don't own this one but subscribed to watch how it plays out.


This thread sounds like a great excuse to "fix" that problem!


+1
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.