Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There don't seem to be many variants round here mateysarrrh

Anyway this is a generic collecting list for all your variant weapons, troops and creatures. I'll start off with some ideas. Constructive criticism welcome.

Weapons

Sling: as Common Bow but max range 2 and no dice are lost if you move.
Polearm: as Long Sword, but for footsoldiers.
Arqebus: range 3, only does bonus damage at range 2 (at point blank you are using it as a club so no bonus). Roll an extra dice at range 2. If unit has moved, roll two less dice.

Troop Types

Halfling Slingers: Light Infantry armed with Slings.
Halfling Riding Dog Cavalry: Light Cavalry armed with Slings and Short Swords (choose for each attack)
Elven Archers: Medium Infantry armed with Common Bows. Special Elves do not take penalties for movment through woods, though the combat restrictions still applies.
Halberdiers: Heavy Infantry armed with Polearms.
Arqebusiers: Light Infantry armed with Arqebuses.

Creature

Treant: Movement 1 Hex and Battle. Retreat- not possible, roll for critical hit instead. Weapons natural, melee only, damage 4d, Bonus strike yes. Ignores combat restrictions in Woods, always sets up in Woods. Follows up as infantry. Special ability 3 Lore: Awaken Woods. Target a Wood hex. That Hex either moves 1 Hex or makes an attack on an enemy unit within the wood hex or adajacent to it, rolling 4 dice if the enemy is in the wood and 2 if adjacent, without bonuses. If an adjacent enemy retreats or is eliminated the wood may follow up into its square. If the enemy battles back he rolls as if attacking the Treant and a critical hit is a kill, remove the woods from play. Woods do not count towards flags for victory purposes. When the wood has moved or made its attack and advanced (if necessary) it reverts to being a wood and cannot be targeted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:

Treant: Movement 1 Hex and Battle. .

Don't you mean TRUANT - Movement - 1 hex and skip schoolshake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Karlsson
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Target a Wood hex. That Hex either moves 1 Hex

Hahaha! Great idea! (The rest of the ability seems a tad bit overpowerful, with it's 4D against any enemy adjacent to a wood. I would cut it down to that the awakened wood can only attack units on it, or something.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry its not 4 dice against any enemy adjacent to a wood. Its 2 dice against adjacent enemies and 4 dice against enemies in the same hex as itself. Note that it either moves or attacks, but not both, so it can't get 4 dice against an adjacent person by moving into his space and attacking. It does mean your opponent won't be trying to hide in the woods though.

It might well still be too powerful. You could up the Lore cost needed, or tone done the damage dealt. Or maybe only enemies on it as you say.

Edit: Oh I forgot, the Treant is a Red Creature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've been giving thought to culling pieces from an incomplete Samurai Swords / Shogun set to make variant "Eastern Armies". They even have their own standard-bearers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Battle Cry variant somewhere out there for Samurai-era gaming. Shogun/Samurai Swords figs work very well, and there are now mounted Samurai available in plastic (see "Plastic Soldier Review" web site for info).

With the beautiful graphics in BLore this will be fun to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Creature: Young Red Dragon

Red Creature, costs 3 War Council seats (as all Red creatures). Movement 4, damage 4d, bonus strike yes. can move and attack. Special ability, Breathe Flame, costs 4 Lore, deal 4 damage to adjacent unit and 2 damage to a second unit adjacent to the first and not to you. Bonus damage and Lore count as damage for Breathe Flame. Breathe Flame scores one automatic Flag in addition to any Flags rolled on the dice. Special defense: The Dragon is immune to any spell or ability which uses Fire.

edit: edited to confom with DOW rules as to War Council seats for creatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
UNDEAD UNITS

Green: Move up to two hexes with no attack or Move up to one hex and attack.
Blue: Move up to one hex and attack.
Red: Move up to one hex with no attack or Attack with no movement.

Bold (all): Animated corpses are beyond fearless. They ignore all retreat flags rolled against them.
Frightening: Non-undead units which are forced to retreat by an undead unit become frightened (escape two hexes/flag, check for panic losses).

WEAPON: SPEARS

These act as a reverse short swords. Spears are a melee weapon, and score bonus hits against mounted units only.

Posted by Jon David Faeth. I copied it here so we can build up a dossier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good ideas.

Have you seen this?

Under BattleCry: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=12614

There is also a file with spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No I haven't seen that,thanks.

Actually I think there are more than enough spells provided with the box set. But of course the more the merrier!

The Undead troops presumably work differently in reaction to some of the order cards. For example, Foot Onslaught allows Red units to move two and fight (IIRC). That should be move 1 and fight for Undead...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Troop ability: Beserk

You may issue 2 orders to this unit when giving orders to make it Beserk. The second order does not allow it to move, but does allow it to fight a second time. If in the first order it moved a distance which would normally prevent it fighting, it may fight with the second order anyway. During the turn the unit is Beserk, it is considered Bold as well, but loses this ability at the end of the turn. The ability does not work for ranged attacks, and it can only be posessed by infantry.

Discussion

This is meant to be used for some sort of 'Viking' or more general barbarian culture. Of course Vikings weren't around by the time of Agincourt, but hey.

1) Can you understand the ability?
2) How good is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Cobb
United States
Cortland
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Troop ability: Beserk

You may issue 2 orders to this unit when giving orders to make it Beserk. The second order does not allow it to move, but does allow it to fight a second time. If in the first order it moved a distance which would normally prevent it fighting, it may fight with the second order anyway. During the turn the unit is Beserk, it is considered Bold as well, but loses this ability at the end of the turn. The ability does not work for ranged attacks, and it can only be posessed by infantry.

Discussion

This is meant to be used for some sort of 'Viking' or more general barbarian culture. Of course Vikings weren't around by the time of Agincourt, but hey.

1) Can you understand the ability?
2) How good is it?

I like it. I would propose having some sort of negative after effect as well. Maybe something along the lines of they can't be bold the next turn (even if supported) and they can't retreat. This would simulate overexertion and the lack of energy to either battle back or retreat. The extra losses taken due to the flags could be attributed to their offensive mindset leaving them more open to a counter-attack, if there are any survivors left to mount one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Red Creature, costs 3 War Council seats (as all Red creatures).

Whoa, do you have a quote or link saying that Creatures actually work this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking it would have to be eligible for both commands, though possibly for different reasons (if it was in a hex that straddled two areas) You could also choose to not order a unit if your order card was of the form "order all x" and the beserk unit was one of x.

Re Red creatures costing 3 War Council Seats, no I don't have a quote on that but I think it has been the general message from DOW...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.daysofwonder.com/index.php?t=msg&th=9280&start=0&...

This says otherwise, of course, it's just DoW board people.

But I can sort of believe it. The Spider IS really fast, and the Giant is really slow. I'm sort of torn, really. I can see plusses and minuses to both creatures, but more dice is just so good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if all Creatures cost the same, what is the difference between a Blue Creature and a Green Creature? Is it just what colour die scores hits against them and whether they are affected by "Blue Banner" cards?

In another thread someone suggested that the difference is like that between a green infantry unit and a blue infantry unit. So when placing a creature you would get rid of an existing infantry unit of its colour, as well as counting n War Council seats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazons

Amazons are warrior women, originally found in ancient Greek myth. They seldom get included in fantasy writing, possibly because of feminist scruples. However, 2nd edition D&D contained them, and one of my PCs in the 1990s wanted to play one, and so my world found itself with an Amazon culture. I should point out that Amazon soldiers are no more prone to wearing leather armour than anyone elseshake

In Battlelore terms, Amazons are a race like Dwarves or Goblins, and so they have 1 Special Ability. Amazon units move 1 class faster than their normal counterparts. This represents special battlefield training: Amazons don't move faster than other humans when marching between battles.

So Amazon Light Infantry (Green Banners): Can Move 3 and not Attack or Move 2 and Attack
Amazon Medium Infantry (Blue Banners): Can Move 2 and attack
Amazon Heavy Infantry (Red Banners): Can Move 2 and not attack or Move 1 and Attack.

Amazon Light Cavalry: Can Move 5 and Attack
Amazon Medium Cavalry: Can Move 4 and Attack
Amazon Red Cavalry: Can Move 3 and Attack.

This movement can be added to by spells or Orders cards in the normal way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Humongous Spider. Blue Banner Creature, movement 3, rolls 3 dice to attack, bonus strikes yes, 1 lore Web (as Giant Spider but costs an additional Lore to free the unit). 2 Lore poison (As Giant Spider but each hit on a poisoned unit destroys 3 units instead of 2.

Young Hill Giant. Green Banner Creature, Movement 3, rolls 2 dice on attack, bonus strikes special (as Hill Giant), pushback ability (1 Lore for 1 square pushback).

These were inspired by Matthew Vantries post in the Genereal Forumn "Stronger Creatures". I would do a Small Earth Elemental if I remembered the EE special abilities.

It is very easy to bring these into your game, you just need to change the monsters' banner colour (swap'em round if playing with both).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David Faeth
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
roujin27 wrote:
UNDEAD UNITS

Blah, blah, blah...

Posted by John David Faeth. I copied it here so we can build up a dossier.

Thanks for posting this here. Also, There's no H in my first name. Just a nit-pickety thing with me.

Here's the updated version, based on some comments and a little playtesting.

UNDEAD
Green: Move up to 2 hexes or move up to 1 hex and attack.
Blue: Move up to 1 hex and attack.
Red: Move up to 1 hex or attack.
Bold: Undead units must (not may) ignore all retreat flags, and may battle back.
Fear: Units retreating from an undead unit become frightened, retreating 2 hexes/flag rolled and check for panic losses.
Undead units neither receive nor give support.

I also like the comment about having them react differently to certain command cards. It makes pretty good sense. I'm also thinking that they should probably react differently to certain lore cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Creature: Armadon

Green Creature, costs 1 War Council seat. Movement 2, damage 2d range 4, bonus strike no. can move and attack. Special ability: Tough Hide 1 Lore: cancel a Critical Hit. Special Ability: Eagle Eye, 2 lore: The Armadon's attack does an additional 3d damage.

The Armadon counts as a ranged unit for all Lore and Command Cards (Darken the Skies, Magic Missile, etc).

The Armadon is a giant Armadillo, about the size of a cart. It serves as an archery platform, its lumbering gait meaning the archers can easily take aim. It is not a great threat but can be very difficult to kill if initially ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.