Popular Tags: [View All]
MacGilleEathain
United States
Clinton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I'm in a minority. So be it. It seems like every time the site is "improved" my ability to access smoothely is further impaired. The latest improvement has my perferred browser returning a JavaScript alert "Handler could not be removed" with every single internal link accessed. The affected page (every single one) will not load unless and until the alert dialogue is banished, meaning I can no longer load desired BGG pages in the background whilst I do other things. Personally, I could do without any further cool (read: [a very poorly chosen phrase, which unfortunately sparked a lot of puerile commentary from quarters who have no business in this matter]) implementations of JavaScript and/or PHP. Eventually, the site is going to be so "new and improved" that I won't be able to access at all (and then you won't have to read my honest - if blunt, yet considered - opinions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
A simple bug report would have sufficed. I'll try to stop "sucking ass"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting one error on just about every page, it says: "urchinTracker is not defined." I say we give it a definition. I'm thinking it has something to do with Charles Dickens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
When you report bugs like this, it helps if you tell us what browser you are using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using Firefox 2.0. I see the "urchinTracker is not defined" JS error on this page (among others). It lists "139006" as the source and line 22.

I get the same error on the main page as well. Look like urchinTracker is probably defined in www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js. Perhaps with adblocking on it's failing to load...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Well, if "sucking ass" is the new official term for improving the site,please suck some more! Recent "ass sucking" has been great. I'm not sure whether this term fits in with the new moderator policy, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
What's wrong with this site? I just switched to the new EarlyAlphaBrowser v.0.04 on Obscure-OS, and it crashes every time I visit here!

This site teh sux0rz.

In seriousness, I have heard of at least one person near me who had a problem visiting the site using Firefox 2.0. I don't use it myself so I couldn't say more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BGG MOD
msg tools
Post Deleted
Reason:
personal attack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BGG MOD
msg tools
Post Deleted
Reason:
response to personal attack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
booned wrote:
In seriousness, I have heard of at least one person near me who had a problem visiting the site using Firefox 2.0.

For the record....
FFox 2.0 work just fine for me. Very smooth upgrade, no issues at all. And that was a few weeks ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
Aldie wrote:

Well, if "sucking ass" is the new official term for improving the site,please suck some more! Recent "ass sucking" has been great. I'm not sure whether this term fits in with the new moderator policy, however.

Please, please, please don't let this devolve into another "manhug" thread.

For what it's worth (not much, I guess) I love the improvements to the site. Aldie, you really suck ass! (In a good way, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firefox 2.0 works wonderfully for me as well. There is that one JS error, but that's pretty normal. It's rare to visit a modern website and not see at least 1 JS error somewhere. And I love that missing function is called "urchinTracker"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i think bgg.com's use of ajax new web technology is killer!

it's very difficult supporting multiple browsers and multiple os's rendition of multiple browsers and multiple versions of multiple browsers and their respective OS's.

keep the improvements coming!!! buildilng geeklists is so elegant now, i could never go back to multiple windows and searching....ROCK ON!

you can't please everyone, and at some point u have to stop supporting mac ie :-)

-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie, I use IE7 and all the "ass sucking" improvements are fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
miyazakigrognard wrote:
Perhaps I'm in a minority. So be it. It seems like every time the site is "improved" my ability to access smoothely is further impaired. The latest improvement has my perferred browser returning a JavaScript alert "Handler could not be removed" with every single internal link accessed. The affected page (every single one) will not load unless and until the alert dialogue is banished, meaning I can no longer load desired BGG pages in the background whilst I do other things. Personally, I could do without any further cool (read: suck ass) implementations of JavaScript and/or PHP. Eventually, the site is going to be so "new and improved" that I won't be able to access at all (and then you won't have to read my honest - if blunt, yet considered - opinions).

I think someone needs more christmas carols in their life! Oh, xmas tree, oh xmas tree, how I really like thee!...HO HO HO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bravey
United Kingdom
Stafford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a bug reporting form on the site anywhere? That could have fields for useful information like browser version and OS and might even avoid less than useful bug reports like the one above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacGilleEathain
United States
Clinton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to reply. While you must surely realise that the "suck ass" comment was not directed at (or intended as pertaining to) your person, I can certainly accept that it could easily be taken as such. Please bear in mind that if I didn't give a damn, I wouldn't have bothered to post any comment whatsoever. Regardless, please accept my sincere apology.

Browser: iCab v2.99 (www.icab.de) Alexander Clauss, the creator of iCab will most likely provide any information you need to "make iCab smile"™

Prior to the most recent change(s) here, I was successful in using iCab's filter manager to build a profile that made BGG behave 99% good and nice. There were a few lingering problems with alignment of elements on certain pages, but nothing that was really too annoying (a little extra scrolling around is all).

Now, however, I have this alert message popping up with each page access. Again, the pages do load (and they look pretty much as they did prior to the advent of this issue), but I have to clear the alert first.

I tried for several hours before posting (which is maybe why I waxed a bit acerbic) to fix this by means of the aforementioned filter manager. Couldn't crack it. Damn.

Edited by moderator to remove response to a now deleted personal attack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't... hold.... myself.... back...

As a professional Internet application developer, I care not for any browser that does not have significant market share. If you choose to use Bob's Discount Browser, it's up to Bob to make it work with my application... not the other way around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skadar wrote:
As a professional Internet application developer, I care not for any browser that does not have significant market share. If you choose to use Bob's Discount Browser, it's up to Bob to make it work with my application... not the other way around.

What kind of discount does Bob offer above and beyond the $0 I paid for FF 2.0, IE7 and Opera? devil

But yeah, I agree with your sentiment; that's why at SpielByWeb, we will no longer be supporting Bob's Discount Browser as of Jan 1, 2007. Bob was just lagging way behind -- and it was becoming increasingly frustrating dealing with his backwards interpretation of the CSS box model.

To Mark (aka the OP): Have you looked for an option in your browser to disable JS errors from popping up? Every modern browser worth using has that ability. If yours doesn't then I'd argue, by my previous definition, that it's not worth using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The site listed below has a comprehensive overview of different Mac browsers, including iCab. FWIW, there's no way I would try to develop a site to be compatible with iCab 2.X. Sound like a 1000mg headache.

http://www.macedition.com/cb/resources/macbrowsercsssupport....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
The audacity. I can't imagine not jumping to help a user that has never donated to help keep the site going, uses a browser that is used by tens of thousands of people everywhere, and to top it all off posts their concern with such class and grace.

What an outrage.

Feel free to post this to the bottom of the site if it will help defray any future problems Aldie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
miyazakigrognard wrote:
Aldie,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to reply. While you must surely realise that the "suck ass" comment was not directed at (or intended as pertaining to) your person, I can certainly accept that it could easily be taken as such. Please bear in mind that if I didn't give a damn, I wouldn't have bothered to post any comment whatsoever. Regardless, please accept my sincere apology.

Browser: iCab v2.99 (www.icab.de) Alexander Clauss, the creator of iCab will most likely provide any information you need to "make iCab smile"™

Prior to the most recent change(s) here, I was successful in using iCab's filter manager to build a profile that made BGG behave 99% good and nice. There were a few lingering problems with alignment of elements on certain pages, but nothing that was really too annoying (a little extra scrolling around is all).

Now, however, I have this alert message popping up with each page access. Again, the pages do load (and they look pretty much as they did prior to the advent of this issue), but I have to clear the alert first.

I tried for several hours before posting (which is maybe why I waxed a bit acerbic) to fix this by means of the aforementioned filter manager. Couldn't crack it. Damn.

Edited by moderator to remove response to a now deleted personal attack

I was using google analytics to track offsite links, so I guess that was the issue. Let me know if the problem still happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacGilleEathain
United States
Clinton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem still persists, unfortunately, but thank you for the attempt. Despite iCab's supposed "Bob's Discount" status, it features a surprisingly comprehensive Applescript library (better than that of many commercial browswers for Mac). I should be able to write a small background routine to automatically banish the offending alerts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.