Brenda Frauenhoff
United States
Unspecified
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, I already got recommendations on games for my 12 yr old son, but every time I spend a lot of time on this site I end up with a HUGE list of games and if I order them all my husband is going to KILL me, or at least give me a very stern lookarrrh.

My 12 yr old son prefers war games (Risk is his favorite),loves animals, but he will play ANYTHING!! My 10 yr old daughter doesn't want anything too heavy. Her favorite game is Category 5. I really don't like games that are too heavy or that take over an hour. My husband like strategy games (in the traditional sense), plus likes WWII. So, these games are not negotiable because, well because I already bought them: Nexus Ops for 12 yr old son, Queen's Necklace for daughter, Elfenland for whole family and Lost Cities because it sounded cool.

Now, I really want Memoir '44 for my husband, so that isn't really negotiable but here are the other games on my list that I'm thinking about. I realize some are really light, but I NEED some of those type every year.

Ingenious
No Thanks
Cloud 9
Loco
Fairy Tale
O Zoo le Mio
Combo King

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Frank's Zoo . Not too heavy, plenty of animals, pretty quick, and fun. A good introduction to "climbing" card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried out no thanks using my catagory 5 cards and it was a huge success. Give it a shot it is light and fun, I can't wait to get the real version now. You need cards 3-35 and 11 chips for each player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, there's nothing wrong with light.

No Thanks, Ingenious and Cloud 9 are all good. (Especially No Thanks!)

I like Loco, but it seems like some people might find it a little dry. I've never played it with kids, but I'm not sure if they'd enjoy it. (Depends on the kid, of course.)

O Zoo le Mio is not as light as it looks. And for me, it wasn't as fun as it looked, either. Alhambra is very similar (majorities game, collect tiles and building your little city) but it is much less fiddly. It doesn't have the animal theme, though.

Oh, and Frank's Zoo is terrific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ingenious is a safe bet for the whole family.
No Thanks is lighter than air but a heck of a lot of fun in the time it takes.
Loco is a good, cheap, fast, classic filler. I've never seen anyone elect to play it as a first game.
Fairy Tale is a bit geeky IMO. The graphics can be challenging and most of the game is in the card drafting at the beginnning.

For family choices I would also suggest Around the World in 80 Days and Ticket to Ride. China is also nice but is mostly abstract and plays best with three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richert
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't on your list, but I would recommend Blokus. It is a good abstract game, lasts about 30 minutes and you can play 2-4 players. The 3 player game is probably the worst though since the players each play a color and the 4th color is played by the three players taking turns playing the 4th color's pieces. My 4 year old plays this regularly with my wife and I and everyone that has played it has enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Ingenious to wear off quickly. It's a good abstract.

Lost Cities is a very good couples game. I can recommend the original TtR with the USA 1910 Expansion. It makes for a good family game. My wife's favorite is still Shadows over Camelot. I played Loco once....yes, it's dry. It's easy to learn, but left me uninspired. O Zoo le mio was a good game, especially with kids. Nice bits, very easy gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious is great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.