Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Wizard Kings» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
In what was our best game so far, Jason and I squared off over four boards (Maps 1-4). We had the short sides of the boards forming the border between us, we though this would lead to a more exciting game with shorter, but deeper, fronts.

I played the Orc army, and had a choice of pushing through forest on my left flank, or the Great Swamp on my right. Seeing as I was fighting the tree-hugging Elves it wasn't a tough decision. Luckily for me, the other half of the board was fairly static, and I was able to quietly pull back some units to reinforce elsewhere.

I made strong inroads through the swamp, aided by my Troll units (the only swamp-dwellers in the base game). This, combined with the requisite flyers behind the lines pushed my income up a few points for most of the game. A Pegasus captured the 2 point city of Urbaka, and I built a castle there to fortify. I was never really threatened with an attack here, and this helped fund my efforts later in the game.

On about the fifth turn, the Elves counterattacked viciously and put a large number of flying units (Pixies, Wizards and Pegasus) behind my lines. However, it was too little, too late, and I fended them off to capture the predefined objective of 27 points of production (up from the 20 I started with)

Lessons learned: Don't attack Elves in Forests. Find a way around. Do use flyers to capture outlying cities, but then build castles which free up the flying units to strike elsewhere.

One thing we'd like to try in the future is to use gold tokens to increase the economic part of the game. Allowing gold hoarding, and forcing gold to be transported from the prodution city to where you want to build the units would allow for blockades and raids. We'll try this if it doesn't make the game too unwieldly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.