SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both James and Sam were keen to play Streetsoccer again at lunch, and we used a picnic bench in front of another building.

I played James first and made a right fist of it. Again, James used a tactic of sending one man left, one right and kicking the ball to the corner. I rolled low and didn't come out to clear the ball. James brought another man forward and seriously threatened. I moved a man thinking it would block a pass back, but I missed an option as James stepped to the ball, swerved it back to his man on the corner of the penalty area and scored. I've been thinking about this a lot, whether to bring the goalie out to clear the ball or try to cover the lines of attack. Obviously it helps if you roll high, but I'm inclined to run out more now.

But the game was not over, as I immediately responded. Since James had 3 men forward, he only had the one defender with his goalie. I drove the ball to the corner, James brought his goalie out and had to put the ball behind the defender. I simply ran around and took a quick equaliser. Then something very interesting happened. Bear in mind, James and Sam play football, evenings and weekends in local teams. They were thinking football, I was thinking board game. With the score 1-1 and time running out, James suddenly threw his goalie forward, saying "I want to win, all or nothing". I was amazed, he left his goal wide open. But it worked, with 2 minutes to go, the goalie reached the ball, passed it forward and they scored. Too late to respond, I lost 2-1, surprised at his audacity.

Then James played Sam, and again both played in a wildly different style. They weren't concerned about placing the ball out of the the way, they left the ball open, they threw their goalies around, it was all dynamic stuff. They either left the ball, or made extended passing runs. None of the fiddling around, positional play I was using. Their game went without score, until again James saw his chance and threw his goalie out. Again, with this extra man, he got the ball from man to man and scored. And the rules say after a goal, both players may replace their goalie. He didn't care about leaving his goal wide open, he was trying to score, knowing if he did, his goalie would go back home. But again, it was a 2 edged sword, as Sam nearly scored. With 2 men against 1, he kept rolling low and failed to net the ball. But it was a much more exciting game their way.

We're set to play regularly now, so I won't post more reports. I intended to get them to play a game, and by picking a subject they love, I succeeded. But suddenly playing 2 footballers has radically opened my eyes to Streetsoccer. I was playing a board game, rolling the die, moving my pieces. They were playing football, 5-a-side football, quick, dynamic and wild. I think, in the long run, I might win more, but I'm having to rethink my tactics.

Interesting, very interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Paris
United States
Post Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
Reading a recap of this nature makes me realize what a brilliant design this little gem is.

Great session report!

--Clinton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.