Popular Tags: variant [+] [View All]
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Having co-invented the Ticket to Ride three year old variant (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/73734) with my son a while ago, I had recently had the chance to play with another young gamer, five year old Abby. Our variant has evolved over time, and I thought the game worked so well with our rules that I wanted to share them with you.

To play TtR with 4 and 5 year olds, do the following:

- Place the board
- Pick colors and place the score markers on "0"
- Take out all the train cards, shuffle them, and place them upside down; do not use the tickets
- Give the scoring card (which summarizes the scoring based on train length) to the young gamer who happens to be sitting upside down from the scoring summary on the board
- The youngest player should begin

Each turn:

- Pick a card from the deck, and place one of your trains on a spot of the matching color. You can place anywhere, including on tracks that already include other players' trains (see "blocking")
- If you get a locomotive, you can place your train anywhere
- Only locomotives can placed on grey spots
- Blocking: by placing one of your trains on a track that is already partially filled by another player's trains, you block them; no one can score that route anymore (the route is now "dead")
- If in your turn you complete a train (a route between two cities) you score it, according to the normal rules. IMPORTANT: let the 5-year old handle scoring, by matching the train length to the points and then counting on the scoring track.
- The game ends when all players have run of out trains to place (45 turns). It can be shortened by using less trains.

That's it. It works extremely well, in my opinion, and is very enjoyable. You can add the "longest route" card later after a couple of games. Takes about 30 minutes to play.

One suggestion: if a little one is on the verge of completing a longer router - say, 3 trains placed on a 4-route - and you get the card that allows you to block them, ignore it once or twice. Abby got really excited when she completed her first 4-length train, even after I deliberately "didn't notice" it when I could have blocked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Can you get this moved to "variants"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
Cool! Can you get this moved to "variants"?

Urm... yes blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try this out with my 5 year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Larry Welborn wrote:
I'll try this out with my 5 year old.

Let me know how it went. I played tonight with my son (4 1/2) and my daughter (2 1/2) - she wasn't really playing for completing routes, but enjoyed pulling the cards and placing her trains on matching colors nonetheless.

I highly recommend that the game is kept to the "90 card total" approach - play with 45 trains each with 2 players, 30 trains each with 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice variant, although I don't think regular Ticket to Ride is beyond six year olds, and some five year olds (although I do give them a card holder).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
A nice variant, although I don't think regular Ticket to Ride is beyond six year olds, and some five year olds (although I do give them a card holder).

Well... I think a significant obstacle is the tickets - they require being able to read pretty well. In any case, this also works with 4 year olds.

In any case, the next rule that can be taught after this grows comfortable is the idea of holding multiple cards - say 3 - in hand, and picking which card to play each time. Obviously the step after that is laying down multiple cards of the same color at once. The thing is, since kids will play this a lot if allowed, you can progress to something that is very similar to Ticket to Ride in a few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this tonight with my wife, 5 year old son and 3 year old daughter. I let the children use any color to place on the gray routes while my wife and I were restricted to only placing on the correct color. The game went well. My daughter went for short scoring lines while my son attempted to go for bigger scores. My son also played a more vicious game, blocking when he got the chance.

We did not finish as we started too close to bedtime. I did leave the game out so we can finish it up tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this with my 5 yr-old. He loved blocking my train lines. I started out with a small lead, going for middle length lines. He preferred the longer lines. The game see-sawed and I won on the final play by 1.

WOW! I can beat a 5 year old! But, we both had a good time.

For him, I think it works best as a 2-player as there is much less down time.

Thanks for this idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.