Janet M
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I've been reading other suggestions posted on this forum but there are just too many options.

I want to get several (~4) games to play with family (son aged 11, two older teenage daughters and myself, unlikely but possible that we'll be able to persuade my husband to join in)

Risk commonly comes up as a favorite with all the kids.
Also have played (and enjoyed by at least some):
- Settlers
- Ticket to Ride
- Nexus Ops
- TransEuropa
- Around the world in 80 days
(probably others that aren't coming immediately to mind)

Also own several 2 player games which I've seen posted here as recommendations but I'm currently looking for games we can all play together
- Balloon cup
- Lost cities
- Memoir 44
- Heroscape

Other games we have which have not necessarily been as successful
- Risk 2210 (played a couple of times but now gathering dust)
- Puerto Rico (perception of being too complex but I'll try this one again)
- Axis & Allies (never completed a game, didn't appeal to me)
and we have lots of the common family games - Monopoly, Clue etc which we still enjoy playing on occasion

Prefer some theme so completely abstract games like Blokus/Ingenious don't grab my attention but maybe we should give them a try.

Would like to buy games of different types to give us variety of play over the holidays. Must play well with both 3 and 4 players (let me know if any are also good with 5) Should preferably play in no more than 2 hours. 11 year old is pretty smart and as long as the game keeps moving playing time is not really an issue. Prefer if none of the players is eliminated early or just knows they can't win.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, a bunch of people have put together a Board_Game_Gift_Guide that you can check out. I'm sure there are some suggetions that would work.

As for myself, after introducing Ticket to Ride to the family, I tried Through the Desert. I think it works well, it has fairly simple rules, but enough strategy to be fun to play (although it might be a bit too abstracty). Betrayal at House on the Hill can be fun, might be tough with three. You might try Mamma Mia! a card game where your goal is to make the most pizzas. It's fast and fun, good if you've got 20 minutes to kill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider some of the quicker card games. My whole family enjoys these (Wife, 3 boys ages 10 to 15). some of these are a bit lacking in theme but they are all fun (and all play well with 3-5):
No Thanks!
Coloretto
Wizard (trick tacking. closer to standard card game)
For Sale
Citadels
Modern Art

Some other games we've been playing recently (and enjoying):
El Grande
Cluzzle

If you want a great Risk type game you might try:
Risk 2210
Samurai Swords (formerly Shogun)

For theme, we all enjoy Pirate's Cove.

You might try Starfarers of Catan. That's actually my boys favorite Settlers game (by far).

Have fun! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For something completely different, look at Pitch Car. My kids have a great time with it.

I think that there is now a "mini" version of it out. That may be the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Waylander1 wrote:
For something completely different, look at Pitch Car. My kids have a great time with it.

I think that there is now a "mini" version of it out. That may be the way to go.

I'll second this recommendation (for the full size anyway). I recently played a three generations game (me and my wife, her folks, and our three kids 5-8-10) and everyone had a great time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janet M
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
wow - thanks for so many quick suggestions. I'll take a look at the descriptions.

We do already have Mama Mia - I remember my son picked that up very quickly when we first got it at least 3 years ago. It's one of several card games we have which we sometimes enjoy to fill in a quick half hour. Was thinking of something a little meatier.

I'm not really looking for another Risk game - I think they'll continue to play the original but after the failure of the first alternate I got I'm reluctant to try a Star Wars one (the theme of which is likely to turn of my middle girl)

Pitch car does look like a different type of game - but my instinct is that I would hate it. Of course a certain type of game which appeals to me may not be what they would most enjoy. (Of the suggestions on these postings I'm most drawn to games like El Grande / Tikal but am trying to be a little more open minded)

Not sure about Bohnanza - have considered this in the past but for some reason not purchased - can't remember why.

I don't want to buy games that won't work with 3 because when my daughter goes back to school there are only 3 of us left to play, so I'll scratch Blokus from the list.

Wits and Wagers is an interesting option, and one we might be able to coerce my husband into joining. It might also be a good one for my daughter to play with her friends if they come over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Queen's Necklace, Boomtown, and Ubongo (themeless but quick and fun).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Instead of Hunters and Gatherers I would recommend regular Carcassonne. It's not as complex as the previous but with the expansions of your choice it can be as complex as you want it to be.

And perhaps the lighter game Emerald would be approved. Note that the dice is only used for the movement of the dragon not the movement of the players, it's not too light to be devoid of strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Janet when you get a chance try to fill out your profile and rate the games you own, and the games you have played. This makes it easier to make recommendations based on what you own and like.

My suggestions assume you own NO Games

1) Ticket to Ride USA + 1910 Expansion Then this game is awesome with 2-5 players

2) For Sale good with 3-6 players ( a good filler auction game)

3) Bohnanza works with 2 but better with 3 or more (a trading game)

4) Settlers of Catan, This plays with 2-4 players standard and up to 6 with the 5-6 player expansion.

5) Leonardo Da Vinci One of the best new games of 2006, It is a lighter version of Caylus (up to 5 players, excellent with 3)

6) Attika My second favorite 2-player game that works well with 3 or 4. If you like Settlers of Catan then this is a good choice.

7) Winner's Circle - a Racing game that works well with 2-6 players, lite fun race game.

8) Wit's and Wagers - You need to have a "big party game" you can play this with 3-21 players as is normal with party games more players is better, It is enjoyed by gamers and non gamers alike, I think you could get hubby to play this one.

9) El Grande - more of a gamers game, a good next step.

10) MR Jack - a 2006 game that is fast becomming my favorite 2-player game. it is a deduction game so if you like Scotland Yard you will like MR Jack.

If I was to just pick 4 it would be in this order

1) Ticket to Ride
2) Wits & Wagers
3) For Sale
4) Winner's Circle

Best of luck
JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

BLOKUS TRIGON works EXCELLENT with 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Desert works well for 2 to 5, and moves along at a good pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Through the Desert as well, it is what immediately came to mind for me. I haven't played Transeuropa or Around the World, but I have played and enjoy all of the others (especially nexus ops) I may have similar taste as you and family so feel free to check my profile and see if you agree. Of the top of my head I would recomend:

Through the Desert
Alhambra
and maybe carolus magnus?

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William (Andy) Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal
Vegas Showdown
Carolus Magnus
Oasis
Ave Caesar
Andromeda
Clippers
Hacienda
Goldland
Rummikub
Wildlife
Powergrid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
We like Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the magical Carrot a very good family game. You don't need to add all the extra set if you don't want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robo Rally
Shadows Over Camelot

Both fun family games, not too complex, but fun.

-Helen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederik Wunderlich
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound or world of warcraft the boardgame are good family games too.
Munchkin is also fun plus you can get a munchkin ste on allmost every theme.
Bluemoon City, carcassone and emerald are fun too.
Shadows over camelot is probably too complex for younger kids.
Dragonriders is also fun.

If you got a father and son or two sons who enjoy wargames, memoir 44 or battlelore would also be my recommendations.

regards SilverDrake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Buj
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommended you two games:
Puerto Rico and Alhambra....there are two very good familiar games.
Bye!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows over Camelot is a great game for anyone old enough to read. Just adjust how you play with younger kids - play it without the traitor and with the really young kids let them either show their hands or reveal them verbally. Since it is cooperative everyone can feel like they are helping.

I know that the groups of ten and eleven year olds we have tried this with are totally capable of playing with the traitor and without needing to reveal their hands.

This game is perfect for the ages of your kids and for them to play it with their friends. The figures and the cool artwork keep both boys and girls very interested.

-Helen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Prendergast
United States
Newton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend Pirates Cove for your family. The game is heavy in theme but pretty light on the rules and tons of fun to play. It also plays pretty quickly with most games coming in around 1 hour. Very playable with 3 or 4 players but it's at its' best with 5 players. it's great with kids because there is very little down time since players don't really take full "turns". Except for the sea battles, everything is done in a sequence of rounds and everyone participates pretty much at the same time. As a result, players don't sit around for 10 minutes waiting for their turn to come up. Given the popularity of the Pirates of the Carribean movies right now, you can't go wrong with this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.