Subject: Duel of Ages with 6+ players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl

Kansas City
Missouri
msg tools
mb
I noticed that DOA claims to support 2-12 players. Does anyone have experience playing the game with large groups?

We've been trying 6 player games of Heroscape and we just don't have the tiles or table space for that. Plus the game doesn't seem to flow very well when you get more than 4 players going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with more than 6. I really like the game with no more than six. 2 or 4 is best, but 5 or 6 is not too far off. Players play in teams so it is easy to bring new players in or absorb pieces as a player has to leave. If you add more players you will probably feel the same as you did with Heroscape.

Three players was too awkward under the original rules since the lone player had twice as much to do as the others. Venatec did release specific three-player rules but I've never played them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cutthroat (three player) rules:

http://www.duelofages.com/documents/pdfs/CutthroatRules.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game but it is really bad with more than 4 players and isn't that good with 3 or 4. I've tried more than 4 once and it was an awful experience becuase you can only control a few characters and if they die quickly or have a bad game or something, you get disgruntled players. This game absolutely fails the 2-16 claim. It should be 2-4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game plays fine with 6 or 8, it just needs to be a larger (more characters) and longer (4-5 hrs) game. Usually the people I've played with just "share" characters if one person's characters get killed. All of the characters are on the same team anyway. It also helps if most of the people know how to play the game. It might not be best teach the game to many new players at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played a game last night with 9 people. 5/4 teams. We used twelve characters on 4 platters; had plenty of domes and the Lith Alliance and Royal Festival.

Three of us were experienced players, three others had played before; three were learning the game. We played for about 2 1/2 hours. (I tend to think 3 is the best minimum).

Anyway...the game was loads of fun and I don't have any complaints about the number of people. Two had to leave before the game was done and just passed their characters to other players. I will admit that the game was a little slowed down by the inexperienced players. But by that I mean we probably didn't accomplish as much in 2 1/2 hours as we would have playing full speed. But there wasn't any down time or boring lulls or anything like that. With a group that large, you end up moving other people's characters that are on your side of the board, etc., so everyone's in the whole time.

I've played with two, three, four, five, and now nine and I think the game scales well. The secret, as most people should know, is a proper proportion of characters and platters. We're slowly learning, also, the ways in which setting up the board affect game play (good spread of domes and adventures versus lopsided maps, etc.)

So I hereby cast my vote for "works well with few or lots!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.