Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: aos [+] [View All]
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RRT never gets to the table enough, (because the table is too small) Can you use the AOS expansion maps with the RRT bits (are the hexes the same size?)

Thanks for the help

JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use them, but the hexes are not the same size. The RT hexes are about 1/2 of the size of the AoS tiles, so it would likely end up looking a bit wonky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmm, it's also worth noting, you would need to create tight turns...many AoS maps are designed with the tight turn tiles in mind, and without them the maps would probably play abnormally hard. You would also need some way to turn the "towns" on the AoS boards into the colourless cities from RT.

Basically, the problem is that to play AoS with RT bits you need to add a bunch of stuff that doesn't come in the RT such as a goods display, the tiles, and all of that. You could try to use hybrid rules to sort of combine the systems, but you'd basically be turning into a game designer at that point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what I thought.

Man I wish they would reprint AOS.

Thanks for the help

JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no idea it was getting that hard to find. Every time I walk into my FLGS I see 3 or 4 copies sitting on the shelves, albeit at the 59.95 MSRP. The store is EndGame in Oakland, if anyone's interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
IcemanCU wrote:
I had no idea it was getting that hard to find. Every time I walk into my FLGS I see 3 or 4 copies sitting on the shelves, albeit at the 59.95 MSRP. The store is EndGame in Oakland, if anyone's interested.

Endgame sold out of Age of Steam last week when i taught the game to a table full of newbies. At least three people went downstairs and bought copies...and that's all they had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Mmm, it's also worth noting, you would need to create tight turns...many AoS maps are designed with the tight turn tiles in mind, and without them the maps would probably play abnormally hard. You would also need some way to turn the "towns" on the AoS boards into the colourless cities from RT.

Actually, changing AOS towns into colorless RRT towns probably has a bigger effect on play balance of a particular map. In AOS, you have to build track in the town hex (or Urbanize it) which you do not have to do in RRT. That effectively reduces the building costs/distances between cities with nearby towns. For example: Chicago and Cincinnati could be reached in a single turn without Engineer for $6, if Michigan City & Fort Wayne were RRT towns.

Also colorless RRT towns would reduce the value of Urbanization--which effectively is an extra tile build on most AOS maps. (Plus it's free!)

The lack of tight turns would come into play in the late game as the available routes are occupied but I don't think that would affect the play balance of most maps. (Lack of tight turns makes ANY map harder.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
IcemanCU wrote:

Endgame sold out of Age of Steam last week when i taught the game to a table full of newbies. At least three people went downstairs and bought copies...and that's all they had.

Thanks for the heads up, JC. I'd actually been considering picking one or more of them up as backup copies/gifts, but I guess I don't have to contemplate that any more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.