Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asif Kazmi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This game looks goood and my son, like every boy his age, would really love the theme (as do I), but would he be able to play it? I believe the box says 12+. That makes me think the game is probably fairly hefty, so I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played, so I don't know, but the rules are available online. Going over those should give you a feel for how well it would play with your son.

Edit: Added an apostrophe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asif Kazmi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm at work, behind a firewall.
Debating whether to pick this up on the way home...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how good your kid is with playing games. It's a long game (I played for 2 hours and still wasn't done) and it has lots of stuff to keep track of but it has a great theme and the figures are very nicely made.

I want to get it myself but I'm afraid no one will play it with me. But, Secret Santa if you can hear me!, I still would like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played two games today. I'd say its roughly the same complexity level as Axis and Allies, though the games themselves are vastly different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Rogers wrote:
It depends on how good your kid is with playing games. It's a long game (I played for 2 hours and still wasn't done) and it has lots of stuff to keep track of but it has a great theme and the figures are very nicely made.

I want to get it myself but I'm afraid no one will play it with me. But, Secret Santa if you can hear me!, I still would like it!

I would say...no. Having just played it. It's a little heavy with phase and rounds and combat rounds...spending "plot points" to do things...a smart 10 year old familiar with games might be the age I'd start with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am sure there are younger kids that could play this game, I would say most of them would not be able. From my experience with other games, I think Marvel Heroscape is going to end up being the best option for younger kids with Heroclix possibly being the alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asif Kazmi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. They are in line with what I suspected. I'll hold off on this for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a good game with Marvel flavor and can find a copy, get your hands on X-men: Under Siege. It's better suited to a 7 year old but enjoyable at any age. And many don't realize it's a game by Richard Borg (of BattleLore, M44, Battle Cry fame). I'd wait a few years (10+) for Marvel Heroes. By then there will probably be expansions for it as well.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Jota
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Do your son play CCGs? If he does, then he will have no problem with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
If you want a good game with Marvel flavor and can find a copy, get your hands on X-men: Under Siege.

And X-Men Alert, in my opinion, is even better still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She-Wolf wrote:
Walt Mulder wrote:
If you want a good game with Marvel flavor and can find a copy, get your hands on X-men: Under Siege.

And X-Men Alert, in my opinion, is even better still.

I'll second that. Under Siege is really just a pale shadow of Alert. I also favor Alert because it focuses on the X-Men years I am most familiar with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
I also do not think your 7 year old could play this. the different phases can be confusing and their is quite a bit of things going on between the ready hero, supporting hero, allies, villains, events, master plots, power ups, story cards, etc. My wife has a hard time keeping up with all of it and I think a 7-year old would struggle with this. He could play on your team with you against someone else though. That is what I am going to do with my 6 year old son.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kindt
United States
Kirkwood
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more affirmation--no, I doubt any 7-year-old could do this game. I think a 12-year-old could survive if he were already steeped in Marvel lore; otherwise, this game will take under 15-year-olds some time to figure out. It helps to know that you do not send Hulk on a Mystery Headline mission. There are many choices and dynamics of strategy to this game.

I played HeroClix for ages, and I would say the density of strategy is more than double. A 7-year-old who loves Marvel could do HeroClix (my 8-year-old daughter loved it...now she is 12 and we play Carcassonne together).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.