11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: which one first, second, etc.? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
dee b.
United States
flag msg tools
This is my list of games to buy for our family, (adult level of difficulty is ok). I can only afford one game purchase biweekly. In what order would you buy them? Thanks for your help!

Carcassone
Shadows over camelot
downfall of pompeii (can't locate on ebay)
bang
goldland (can't locate on ebay)
o zoo le mio
incan gold/diamant (scarce?)
niagara
mississippi queen
pickomino
quicksand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, out of the two games I own and have played, take Carcassonne before Bang. They are both great games, but bang is best with 5+ people, while Carc is good with 2+. I agree though, pick up Inns and Cathedrals and traders and builders if/when you have the chance. They are great expansions, and not too expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players normally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant (Incan Gold will be more readily available soon)
Carcasonne
Pickomino
Niagara
Shadows
O Zoo Le Mio
Bang

Haven't played the last 4...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dee b.
United States
flag msg tools
custom golf clubs wrote:
How many players normally?

Sorry, there are 4 of us and usually we all play, but sometimes it's 2 or 3. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Harkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should list your currently owned games in your profile, so we can see which games are missing, see what you rate highly, and guess at what your 'gaming level' is now.

How did you come to this list? Since I would never advise a new boardgameplayer (assuming that you are) to go and find games on ebay. Because the rare ones can be quite expensive, and a lot of games have a reason for not being reprinted and are an aquired taste.

I would advise you to go slower than you propose. A game can last for a lot longer than two weeks. Buy one or two and play them for a month or two, and see where to go from there. Collections have a tendency to grow quickly anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin h.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
just an aside, unless you are looking for used games, ebay is probably not as cheap as going to an online retailer, and you get great service (and advice too!) NAYY

There are two great links for finding deals on "euro" boardgames, they do a metasearch of the major online retailers. 30-35% off retail is usually a pretty good bet, if you shop around, with flat rate shipping some places. Instead of one purchase every other week, maybe order two games once a month? - or even fewer.

My favorite online sellers are Thoughthammer and Timewellspent.
Funagain is usually more expensive, though they often have stock of hard to find items

http://www.boardgamesearch.com/
http://www.boardgameseeker.com/

as far as I know, Incan Gold is/will be exclusive to Funagain.com and is currently in PREORDER STATUS
Diamant (similar, MUCH nicer components)is out of stock everywhere, I think. I believe it will be reprinted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dee b.
United States
flag msg tools
robinh wrote:
just an aside, unless you are looking for used games, ebay is probably not as cheap as going to an online retailer, and you get great service (and advice too!) NAYY

There are two great links for finding deals on "euro" boardgames, they do a metasearch of the major online retailers. 30-35% off retail is usually a pretty good bet, if you shop around, with flat rate shipping some places. Instead of one purchase every other week, maybe order two games once a month? - or even fewer.

My favorite online sellers are Thoughthammer and Timewellspent.
Funagain is usually more expensive, though they often have stock of hard to find items

http://www.boardgamesearch.com/
http://www.boardgameseeker.com/

as far as I know, Incan Gold is/will be exclusive to Funagain.com and is currently in PREORDER STATUS
Diamant (similar, MUCH nicer components)is out of stock everywhere, I think. I believe it will be reprinted.

I've bought tons of games on ebay and have always been happy with the service, and it's been faster than the game catalogs I've tried, but thanks for the info. on other places to buy boardgames. I only mentioned Ebay because I wondered if these games were hard to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dee b.
United States
flag msg tools
minordemon wrote:
Maybe you should list your currently owned games in your profile, so we can see which games are missing, see what you rate highly, and guess at what your 'gaming level' is now.

How did you come to this list? Since I would never advise a new boardgameplayer (assuming that you are) to go and find games on ebay. Because the rare ones can be quite expensive, and a lot of games have a reason for not being reprinted and are an aquired taste.

I would advise you to go slower than you propose. A game can last for a lot longer than two weeks. Buy one or two and play them for a month or two, and see where to go from there. Collections have a tendency to grow quickly anyway.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rank these:

Shadows Over Camelot
Bang
Mississippi Queen

at the bottom of the list.

You could play them with 4 people, but they're not at their best until you have more than that. I wouldn't play any of them with less than 4. This is why boardgamegeek is such a great resource, because while the marketing on a box may say "Plays 2-10", you can visit BGG and find out that you only want to play it with 5-6. The above three games have sweet spots that don't correspond well with your regular group, and the other games on the list will fit better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy:

Carcassone
goldland (can't locate on ebay)
incan gold/diamant (scarce?)

Don't buy:

Shadows over camelot
downfall of pompeii (can't locate on ebay)
bang
o zoo le mio
niagara
mississippi queen
pickomino
quicksand[/q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.