Popular Tags: [View All]
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few weeks ago when I scheduled this session of Talisman, trying to get more than our usual three players, someone pointed out that the day I had selected was Father’s Day. I considered our chances of being summarily destroyed by our spouses and then went ahead with the schedule on the assumption of “if it IS Father’s day, shouldn’t “Fathers” get to do what they want?

Despite having some player losses due to “wife agro” or other circumstances we did manage to pull together five for this session of Talisman (Revised 4th Edition).

We played with all available expansions except Talisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Deep Realms Expansion. Note that all Dragon expansion rules were thrown out in lieu of our standard house rules detailed in my most recent response to this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/930056/plaids-list-house... .

The only other house rule we used was completely leaving the Werewolf out. Moving him AND the Reaper is a bit tedius.

For characters, once again with SO MANY available and with our larger sessions few and far between, we opened up selection, allowing everyone to choose a character from five drawn at random.

Mike chose to whirl around the map with the Dervish. Paul sided with the ominous and enigmatic Doomsayer. Patrick liked him so much the last time he played with us that he picked the Jin Blooded again. Mark ended up with the sinister Vampiress. Finally, I chose to serve up cheer and joy to my opponents with my first ever opportunity to run the Tavern Maid.

With our cast of characters set we were poised and ready to invade the world of Talisman again; completely unsuspecting that fate would have more nasty surprises waiting for us than any game in memory.

The first thing I noticed about running the Maid was that for some odd reason everyone seemed to be avoiding me given Mark dove into the Woodlands right away. Paul went to the Highlands. Mike had no intention of abandoning the middle region. Lastly, Patrick always endeavored to move away from my locale with us both cruising around the outer region.

I finally DID manage to catch up to him and sell him one of my irresistible elixirs for the price of a gold. It turns out; however, that he wasn’t able to hold his liquor and lost a turn as a result. Little did I know that this seemingly harmless event would come back to haunt me.

Meanwhile in the Woodland, Mark was having a bad run of luck with combats and was forced to draw a new and undesirable path. Thus, with one health remaining he scurried back out of the trees in search of free healing at the graveyard.

In addition to having garnered a fair amount of gold, Mike in the middle region had grabbed a “Sword of Light” (+2 str / +1 cft in combats) from the adventure deck. Thus, I decided to join him there, fully intending to get him drunk. Frustration set in though given an endless hopscotch session to get to the Tavern made the Wharf space on the City board look more appealing so I headed off in that direction. Bubbling over with five starting potions already, I brought that total up to eight after discovering some “Free Samples” on the city streets.

I paid my toll to the wharfmaster and zipped up to the Temple on my next move. Amazingly, that’s the same turn Mike decided to abandon the middle region heading for the City to spend his riches.

Paul's Doomsayer was always maintaining a single dark fate via his character ability. I managed to get lucky and roll a “6” on a “Elixir of Wisdom” but it was erased and changed to a “1” by Paul. He later did this again and gave me ANOTHER “1” on an “Elixir of Might”. So, instead of two stat gains, I was down two life.

However, all of the bad karma he was building up via his unscrupulous ways ultimately caught up to him given he drew a “Deranged Alchemist” and rolled a “1”. His fate re-roll was no different and we were all but rolling on the floor as all his toys dropped to the ground when he was transformed into a warty toad.

I was still at two life and vying to get over to the Chapel when Patrick pounced on me. He had no interest in combat rolls though, given his Jin had happened upon a “Finger of Death” spell. Thus heralded the end of the poor, poor, Tavern Maid… cut down before her prime. As a result, the Magus joined the foray as her replacement and we continued on.

As the game moved ever onward amidst all of the fate-ensconced mayhem, Patrick ultimately gained control and pushed into the inner region. He reached the Valley of fire the same round that Mike had just passed the Portal of Power. Patrick had been flouting an air of supreme confidence and was gloating over his looming victory until Mike pulled out the ArnKell he’d received from the Eagle King and zipped right to the Crown!

While Patrick was still in shock, I spread the alternate endings like a fan and peddled one to Mike, hoping against hope he’d get Horrible Black Void or something else as nasty.

At this time I was almost to the Lord of Darkness in the dungeon; my only chance being to beat him by enough that I could, myself, drop on the Crown. However, it didn’t matter given Mike’s draw was “Battle Royale”. Mark was the only unfortunate soul without a Talsiman so the rest of us went straight to the Crown to duke it out.

Given Mike’s weapons and other objects it was pretty clear who was going to win all the combats. Just as I was about to call for a mass surrender, Patrick volunteers to be Mike’s first combat and whips out a Toadify spell and rolls a “5”; exactly what was needed to turn the tide of the game! One dark fate later, the spell fizzles with no effect guaranteeing Mike and his Dervish the win.

Throughout the game the Eagle King was defeated twice; Queen Mab, once; and the Lord of Darkness was left alone in his Dungeon. All regions were frequented multiple times with the Woodland and City being at the top of that list.

One thing I’ve been noticing in the games we’ve played since the release of Woodlands is that fate rolls, both light and dark, have become much more common. In addition, advent of dark fate effectively means that no roll is safe. The profoundly good roll that in the past was guaranteed is now an uncertainty so long as someone has a dark fate available.

Characters like the Doomsayer, Jin, Alchemist, and any others that can generate fate on whim have become much more powerful I think; whereas, characters with low fate counts and/or the inability to generate more have shifted in the opposite direction. Thus,I’m wondering if FFG might be convinced to issue some buffed versions of these weaker, low-fate, characters.

I was fortunate enough with my Magus to get a destiny that increased my fate value by one. Even so, it was crippling to have to hoard over my miniscule pile of one or two fate tokens while the Jin (later with a max of six fate given his two destinies) and Doomsayer threw them around with reckless abandon.

Regardless of the utter zounds of fate rolls, the game was a good one. I sincerely hope you enjoyed the read and look forward to sharing our next foray into the world of Talisman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
___Shetland pony___ ___extra pepperoni___
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wife Agro thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hans4rd wrote:
Wife Agro thumbsup
Yup. Once you get wife aggro, expect to tank until the next encounter. No outside DPS can deflect it. Hopefully you're a class that also has some heals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls